Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Harbor Freight or JC Whittney tools

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
My neighbor is a Snap-on salesman. He says the China tools are KILLING his business.....

I think Snap-on should evaluate it elete pricing policies in view of the keen competition; if they do not, they will go under - guaranteed!
Chinese tools are killing everyone in the tool business. NO company can compete with their pricing structure. They pay their employees pennies per day. Companies like SNap-On pay their employees a living wage. Which I'll gladly pay extra for to make sure I have a quality product.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

I just received a shipment from Northern Tool. I bought two sets of crow foot wrenches, an air brush, a tubing flair kit....all made in China.

Great stuff.....

...keep this stuff flowing into the country guys....my four double tool chests are overflowing with many tools made in China for dirt-cheap prices....
Yea, keep saying this and you'll be looking for a job in China. I hope your car can swim

One more thing, letting the cheapo stuff in the USA and then buying it is the same as the illegal immigrants taking your job for 1/3 of what you were making. You now find yourself working at a fast food joint flipping burgers to make your house and car payment. Good luck! Look what is happening to California and Florida.Think about what your saying.
Old 04-25-2004, 11:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Easy there, chief. Last time I checked, CBRs aren't made by an American company. Like or not, we all own stuff that isn't made in the USA. That doesn't mean the country is going to hell in a handbasket.

In this case, it's all about quality. The Harbour Freight tools are a lot cheaper, but you get what you pay for, IMO.
Old 04-25-2004, 07:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lerajie
Now try a $300 auto darkening unit like the one I have. I guarantee you'll get less eye fatigue during welding.If you have $50 eyes use a $50 dollar welding helmet.
But to me it is a "Specialty tool", I dont weld but once a month, now if I did it at least once or twice a day, the $300 mask would be well worth it, not to mention the upgrade/replaceability of the screens etc...
Old 11-27-2004, 02:42 PM
Teching In

Just my 2 cents worth, your milage may vary...

I used to live in Chicago and buy a lot of tools from Whitney/Warshawsky when I was a kid. I found that if you bought the best (i.e. most expensive) model of what ever type tool you needed from them, it often turned out to be a major, name brand, being sold at a low price. If you bought the cheapest tool, YOU GOT REALLY CRAPPY, CHEAP TOOLS!

With Harbor Freight, you know you are buying, mostly crap from China. No brainer! If it's something you need for a one shot deal, maybe it's OK. Then you have to figure in, "What are my knuckles really worth to me if this cheap, piece of crap wrench breaks right now?" "How many veins will I yank out of my wrist, if my new, Chinese ratchet slips and I snag that rusty, muffler clamp, bolt that's sticking out, millimeters from my hand?"

Even if you are only a "shade tree mechanic" I have always thought of tools as a lifetime investment. If you buy quality initially, you'll never regret it.

"The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten."
Old 11-29-2004, 09:08 AM
TECH Veteran

I think you guys are living in the past. Your perseption of cheap tools from China is based on experiences from 10 - 20 years ago.

The good forging machine tools have been moved from the USA to China. Remember the saying, "made in Japan" during hte 1970s? We are not laughing about Japanese cars now!

Trust me, My father and grandfather owned a tool and die company in Newark NJ with over 200 employees in the 1940s - 1960s.... The days of quality manufacturing in the USA is gone - labor is too high to produce goods and be competitive...
Old 12-01-2004, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

I think you guys are living in the past. Your perseption of cheap tools from China is based on experiences from 10 - 20 years ago.

The good forging machine tools have been moved from the USA to China. Remember the saying, "made in Japan" during hte 1970s? We are not laughing about Japanese cars now!

Trust me, My father and grandfather owned a tool and die company in Newark NJ with over 200 employees in the 1940s - 1960s.... The days of quality manufacturing in the USA is gone - labor is too high to produce goods and be competitive...
You're right, we haven't laughed at Japanese cars in decades. But we're laughing at Chinese cars now. Don't compare "Made in Japan" to "Made in China". That's like comparing "Made in America" to "Made in Vietnam".

Daewoo
Hyundai
Kia
Old 12-01-2004, 10:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brains
*SOME* of the tools are good, some are complete CRAP .. You have to know which are which

Like the Pittsburg blue-handled stuff. I cracked the tip off a set of diagonal cutters trimming of all things 24ga. BRASS !! I also snapped a set of the Pittsburg blue-handled channel-lock style pliers clear in half. I'm strong, but not THAT strong. I tried to use a Harbor Freight tap and die set, and the cheapy bolt I was trying to rethread (not grade 8, or even grade 5) was a LOT harder than the die -- so it turned out to be garbage. The taps were barely hard enough to cut aluminum

On the other hand, my six dollar nibbler worked great. I have a couple sets of impact sockets which seem to be holding up just fine. I have a few air tools that seem to hold up ever bit as well as my Craftsman units.
i hear you on the air tools ... anybidy need air tools buy them from harbor freight ... they are very good

matter of fact, i have a few Ingersoll Rand tools and all ofthem are made overseas
Old 12-01-2004, 11:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought this micrometer set some time back for $9.95. Its back on sale:
http://ipstool.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MICSET03

The company is like Harbor Freight, but closer (for me)

I prefer Snap-On. But sometimes you need a cheapy one time tool, or a cheap tool to grind the hell out of to make it fit a custom situation. I would never grind away at my snap on stuff :S

D

Quick Reply: Harbor Freight or JC Whittney tools