Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Craftsman Warranty :c

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 09:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would try a different store, there was one time i had a ratchet that was slightly rusty from sitting and they questioned the warranty.
Old 02-12-2013, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Switched over to Kobalt stuff and some Pittsburgh stuff from horrible fright after i got sick off dealing with craftsman.
I think the issue is that older stuff was quality made so they had fewer returns, new chinese stuff= garbage. I had them give me crap last time last time over a 3/8 ratchet that stripped inside due to the wonderful plastic gears. I just left it with them, and said **** it and went down the street to lowes and havent been back since. considering i was building my tool collection at the time, they lost out of decent money.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly, not unheard of... Suck.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:25 AM
Teching In

wow, this echoes my feelings exactly. I am glad that sears is across town and Lowes is across the street, lol.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is so sad to hear, another once proud American product gone! My buddy bought his Craftsman 1/4" ratchet set a year ago and the gears are already stripped. When I moved out my father gifted me a bunch of his Craftsman tools, some that even belonged to HIS FATHER! The 1/2", 3/8" and 1/4" are still taking a beating in my garage almost every day without issue. I have put a 2' bar on the 1/4" ratchet and it still clicks away like new. I have hung my 260lb butt off a 3' bar on the 1/2" ratchet without a hiccup! Looks like those old ratchets will be the last Craftsman tools to ever make it into my tool box!
Old 04-21-2013, 12:22 PM
10 Second Club

their warranty changed some years ago BECAUSE of people abusing/modifying their tools then exchanging them.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:57 PM
9 Second Club

Received 238 Likes on 177 Posts

I had several issues trying to warranty 8mm sockets when they broke. First time they wanted me to bring the whole set back. The next time I was wearing a t shirt with my shops name and they said the tools were for personal use only. Had to argue with managers every time. Have all snap on now and haven't broke a socket since.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The GF bought me a 3 gallon Craftsman Air Compressor for Christmas. It looked nice and worked great. I used it several times throughout the winter doing tire pressures and removed lugnuts with a small impact once with it. Probably used it 5 times, checked the oil before every use (had to add oil twice). I even stored it inside.

The last time I went to use it, it ran once, and shut off and wouldn't start again to fill the tank. Took it to sears, motor was completely locked up and they tried to blame me for not oiling it. It was past sear's "90 day garauntee" (purchased online, picked up at store), and they didn't want to replace it. They wanted me to pay $40 to have it sent in and diagnosed and maybe then craftsman would replace it.

GF was insta-pissed but I tried the whole nice guy approach at first. I quickly found out I wasn't getting anywhere doing that. I finally said to the manager, "That's sear's and craftsman's policy now? After 3 months, tough ****, buy another piece of **** from us? Explain to me why I would ever shop here again."

I ended up getting a gift card for the amount paid for the air compressor. Not ideal, but it took me long enough to even get that. Of course, during Christmas they were $80, and regular price was $140 so I couldn't even replace my broken one with the same one without coffing up another $60+. I used the gift card towards a larger 4 gallon compressor with a different motor on it, so hopefully this one lasts a little longer or I will be checking out Kobalt as well. /rant
Old 04-21-2013, 11:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have had a lot of broken Craftsman tools replaced recently without a problem. I just broke a socket last week and took it in and got a new one. Obviously some of you are dealing with idiots that work there because most of their tools have a lifetime warranty.

Quick Reply: Craftsman Warranty :c