Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

MDR Tuning X Prime LS Engine Oil Prelube Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MDR Tuning X Prime LS Engine Oil Prelube Kit

Many of us have invested significant amounts of time, energy, and money in our LS Engine transplants / rebuilds. After laying dormant for ~2 years, I was concerned about starting my engine dry. I researched the official GM tool, the Car Craft pre-luber, over-filling the crankcase, jacking up the rear of the car, the grease gun method, various hand pumps, and cranking with the starter with the plugs removed. After pre-filling my filter, removing the plugs, and bumping the engine with my starter – I got 0 oil pressure on my new OTP mechanical oil pressure gauge. Concerned about my investment and resisting the urge to just start it and hope for the best, I got serious. Further research led me to MDR tuning’s X Prime LS engine pre-luber.

http://www.mdrtuning.com/content/x-p...p-priming-tool

This kit is elegant and simple - with several options. A simple electric pump and hoses with the appropriate adapter fittings allowed me to remove my driver side front oil galley plug (GTO alternator removed), hook the kit up to the pump / 12V battery, and push 2 quarts of oil through the engine in about 30 minutes with the standard pump. Oil pressure showed ~5 psi with my engine / oil viscosity combo. It’s probably overkill, but I also rotated the crank a couple of times as the oil was being pumped into the engine. After re-installing the alternator, I was rewarded with 45 psi oil pressure during first crank / start-up and no lifter rattle. With all of the time and money I put into my project – it just seemed like money well spent (<$100).

This isn’t any paid advertisement – I paid for my kit like anyone else. Just wanted to thank Mike for putting together a nice kit, with several options, priced right.

Quick Reply: MDR Tuning X Prime LS Engine Oil Prelube Kit