Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

What air compressor to get?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2004, 11:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What air compressor to get?

I was looking at the $400 Craftsman Professional 25 gallon portable vertical. I don't know too much about air tools. I don't want to get a crap compressor.

Things I need to do immediately with it (right now):
stain the fence
heads/cam swap (use the sprayer for cleaning)

I know there is a million uses...I'd love to hear your suggestions.

thanks
Old 04-28-2004, 12:08 PM
TECH Veteran

...get the biggest bastard you can find for a reasonable price.

I would recommend a Coleman 7HP 60 gallon job for less than $386 at Northern Tool and Equipment Co.

I bought a Craftsmutt at Sears; it has 5HP with 30 gallons ....a good value at $310 but I wish I had the Colemen....
Old 04-28-2004, 12:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
...get the biggest bastard you can find for a reasonable price.

I would recommend a Coleman 7HP 60 gallon job for less than $386 at Northern Tool and Equipment Co.

I bought a Craftsmutt at Sears; it has 5HP with 30 gallons ....a good value at $310 but I wish I had the Colemen....
Why is the coleman cheaper for twice the hp/tank? Kinda sounds like a get-what-you-pay-for ... unless the Craftsman is just way overpriced. What PSI is the coleman rated at? 175?
Old 04-30-2004, 09:21 PM
Teching In

I bought a 27 gallon 6hp Coleman from the local mega chain hardware store for $299, the 60 gallon one was only $399 but it didn't have wheels and was 230volt I think, but it was a real quality looking machine..it was the oil type pump and it was rated 10 or 11 cfm at 90 psi which it dam good for that price...dam..maybe I should have got that one..dam..the only draw back to a large unit is it may take a long time for the initial air fill up..hmm.. but its 230 volt so it would probably equal the fill up time of my 27 gallon one at 125 volts..dam..should have should got that one..dam

Dave

Last edited by Bugalou; 04-30-2004 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-30-2004, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have an old Sears 12 gal. compressor and a 60 gal. Black Max I bought from Sam's Club some ten years ago. Both are oil compressors and have done everything I wanted them to, I would suggest staying away from the oil-less compressors because of the noise level.

Al
Old 05-01-2004, 12:17 AM
TECH Junkie

basically the bigger than tank the more cfm it can give/sustain to your air tools. The bigger tank the better. Most tanks above 35 gallons though require a 240 volt outlet so that will have to be wired in or shared with your dryer or something. With the craftsman line look at the horizontal professional 30 gal oiled type. Its cfm is alot higher than the other 30-35 gallon verticals and horizontal.
Old 05-01-2004, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a Coleman Powermate. It's been in my garage for 5+ years with no problems. If I were to buy another one, I would get a bigger tank, though. It sucks having to wait for the psi to come up when using high rpm tools, like grinders or cut off wheels.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:24 PM
TECH Veteran

My Craftsmutt from Sears is 5hp and 30 gallons - it is the oil-less type, however. It is less noisy than the Harbor Freight oil compressor that blew up 3 days after I took it out of the package.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:16 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a 30 gal 6hp 150psi upright. came with a 1/2" impact 3/8" air ratchet, and air chissel (which ive never used). i need to get a new hose because that puny little yellow one it comes with just isnt cuttin it.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Anyone using the Depo compressors?

I was going to buy one off the floor; it was 40 gallons and 5HP with a oil pump. The unit had a missing air filter and another minor part (oil filler plug) was gone too.

Depo would not sell it to me for less than the full advertised price; I went to Sears and bought a Craftsmutt instead.... the only issue with the Craftsmutt is it is an oil-less compressor with a plastic piston. I did not reallize it until I pulled it out of the box....

They claim here that these units don't last too long and are noisy.
The Depo man sells some smallers compressors with oil-less cpmpressors. Mr. Depoman said they have not come back to the store under warranty.....so don't worrrrrryy...
Old 05-11-2004, 05:52 PM
11 Second Club

My Craftsmutt from Sears is 5hp and 30 gallons - it is the oil-less type, however. It is less noisy than the Harbor Freight oil compressor that blew up 3 days after I took it out of the package.
I saw that one and it was too loud. Picked up the 6hp, 25 gal, 2 cylinder one. Nice and quiet. Worked well on my Procharger install.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

which model? was it a central pneumatic?

I bought the $169 central pneumatic from harbor freight. First time it came, ups delivered it upside down. Oil everywhere, so I sent it back. Second one came, one guage was broken, harborfreight sent me a new one thankfully. It's been great for the past year. It's 21gal (I think), on wheels and easily portable, 4hp oil-lubed and runs on 110V. Specs are 4scfm@90psi and 11scfm@40psi if I remember right, which will do most medium sized work but if you want to run big 1/2" rotary air tools then you'll need a bigger compressor. But since I'm in a condo, it's perfect for me, and pricewise no other unit touches it. Only bad thing is it's noisy, which I expected, so I try to be considerate and not run it after 10pm. If your requirements/constraints permit, always go with a 230V oil-lubed motor, and with the biggest tank you can fit and afford.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:16 PM
Staging Lane

Default compressor

Originally Posted by soslo
I was looking at the $400 Craftsman Professional 25 gallon portable vertical. I don't know too much about air tools. I don't want to get a crap compressor.

Things I need to do immediately with it (right now):
stain the fence
heads/cam swap (use the sprayer for cleaning)

I know there is a million uses...I'd love to hear your suggestions.

thanks
I've owned a few compressors, the worst of which was oil-less (noisey, high maintenance, POS), and the best of which is one I put together with parts.
If you want it to last, go with the oil pump design. It costs more, but definately worth it. I use mine daily and it has a 6 hp motor thats been around for 15 years. I change the oil about yearly. Craftsman compressors have parts which are readily obtainable, as do Cambell Hausefield.
Just my .02
Todd
Old 05-17-2004, 06:00 PM
Staging Lane

I've got the CH 26 Gallon. It works well for $300 including accessories. My buddy's go the Crapsman. I hate that thing. When the motors running, all guages just flap all over the place. Cant take a psi reading or adjust regulator while its running. And all the ***** feel so crappy. Oh and did i mention, the motors deafening! Talk the salesman into letting you plug it in and run it before you buy the thing.

IMO, though, I like my CH, but wished I had gone with an IngersollRand 80 Gallon monster!!....So in short, I agree with Robert above. Get the biggest one you can get.....Just not Crapsman...
Old 05-18-2004, 07:44 AM
TECH Veteran

The Harbor Freight unit was a Central Nuematics compressor. It worked fine for three days then blew up.

My other Central Nuematic tools are holding up so far...

Quick Reply: What air compressor to get?