Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

DIY oil priming under $20

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 07:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pt2285
I get the theory... but why can't I just draw from a jug of oil and let it drain into pan.
You certainly can. I chose to draw from the pan so I could prime for a longer period while rotating the engine. You'll be fine either way though.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How long should it take to get oil out the pushrods? I tried priming my lq4 with a fbody oil pan. doing this method. But got nowhere. I ran the drill for easily 5min straight and my heads are still bone dry. I was turning the motor like mentioned and nothing.
I had oil draining from a small the mall next to the oil filter screw. I used this pump from harbor freight.
http://m.harborfreight.com/all-purpose-drill-powered-pump-390-gph-62783.html
Old 03-23-2017, 12:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this method didn't work for me at all. maybe it was the pump, maybe I picked the wrong hole, My wife would say "it's not the first time you've done that..." meanwhile, there was oil everywhere. it looked like I was lubing the driveway. I've since switched to using a chemical sprayer, and it works much better. just thought I'd share. if anyone wants photos, i can provide some. I still paid less than $20 for everything to make it, including the sprayer.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Helomedic1171
this method didn't work for me at all. maybe it was the pump, maybe I picked the wrong hole, My wife would say "it's not the first time you've done that..." meanwhile, there was oil everywhere. it looked like I was lubing the driveway. I've since switched to using a chemical sprayer, and it works much better. just thought I'd share. if anyone wants photos, i can provide some. I still paid less than $20 for everything to make it, including the sprayer.
Can you post pics of how you did it.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by duggravs
Can you post pics of how you did it.
no, but I can post pics of the finished product.
Old 04-22-2021, 01:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Bumping an old thread...

Looks like HF no longer carries the orange drill-powered pump that the OP used all those years ago, and the blue version that mcdonald77 said had superseded it back in 2015 is also gone. When I search HF for "drill-powered pump" I find 2 versions, which look to be a different style, but may still work just fine.
- https://www.harborfreight.com/750-gp...ump-56847.html - Drummond 56847 750gph pump for $10. Description says it's "for quickly draining sinks, aquariums, and other small water transfer jobs" (emphasis added). However, one of the reviews from just a week or two ago says they use it for transferring used oil out of a 55gal drum and gave it 5 stars, so presumably it works OK with oil.
- https://www.harborfreight.com/all-pu...gph-62783.html - Pacific Hydrostar 62783 390gph pump for $4. Also says it's for water transfer, so I don't know if it would work well with thicker oil. Lots of 1-star reviews on that one, so it may be better to spend big on the $10 pump.

I also looked on Amazon and found what appears to be the style of pump that the OP used. As with many things on Amazon, there are multiple vendors with random Chinese/Taiwanese brand names selling what appears to be the same thing at various prices, in this case starting at $15 and going up from there. The $15 one has no customer reviews and no product information. The $20 version has a couple hundred reviews and actually lists flow rates at different drill speeds, says it's about 45# output (3 bar).

I'm not sure which one I'll end up buying, but I was happy I found this thread and figured I'd bump it up with more up-to-date pump info. If anyone else has a good source of a pump that they've found is effective, feel free to throw in a link.

The following 2 users liked this post by AAIIIC:
G Atsma (04-22-2021), srode1 (06-30-2021)
Old 03-03-2023, 11:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm bumping this from the past because it likely ranks high on Google algorithm.

Anyone do this with a Mast LS swap pan? I haven't been able to get anyone on the phone, they have a warning in the instructions about their unique pan oil gallery routing and not using the wrong fittings or you will starve the engine of oil.

I thought i would just use the front port near the pump to eliminate this issue, but people have reported problems using this port and it sending most of the oil pack through the engine oil pump to the pan instead of priming the block?

Quick Reply: DIY oil priming under $20