Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Diy powder coating oven build

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wiring

Hello I have been following this build and now onto my PID controller and wiring totally don't have a clue on wiring it all up any chance you can draw a diagram and did you oready have a 220v outlet in your house/garage to run the oven hope you can help thanks
Old 09-06-2014, 02:47 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by steveboy09
Hello I have been following this build and now onto my PID controller and wiring totally don't have a clue on wiring it all up any chance you can draw a diagram and did you oready have a 220v outlet in your house/garage to run the oven hope you can help thanks
Where did you get your PID controller from? It should of come with instructions. If not post some pics of the controller.

As far as the 220V, I used my Dryer plug in my garage as I have a gas dryer.
Old 09-06-2014, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by CRASHz427
Where did you get your PID controller from? It should of come with instructions. If not post some pics of the controller.

As far as the 220V, I used my Dryer plug in my garage as I have a gas dryer.
Thanks for the reply I got it from ebay just copied and pasted what you put into ebay would I need a 220v braker in my fuse box wired up to a 220v outlet socket my oven elements are 2000watts eatch am on mobile version off forum what gauge wire did you use aswell thanks
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm?itemId=291225213091

Last edited by steveboy09; 09-06-2014 at 03:26 PM. Reason: forgot somthing
Old 09-10-2014, 11:56 AM
Staging Lane

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by steveboy09
Thanks for the reply I got it from ebay just copied and pasted what you put into ebay would I need a 220v braker in my fuse box wired up to a 220v outlet socket my oven elements are 2000watts eatch am on mobile version off forum what gauge wire did you use aswell thanks
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm?itemId=291225213091
I would try to find a solid state relay good for at least 40 amps. My elements pull about 18 amps each. You can use a regular breaker as well just a little more involved on the mounting if you dont have a breaker box.

The solid state relay will act as your breaker and relay.

For the plug I bought a dryer kit from Lowes and the 30 ft lead I have is from an old welding rig 3-wire cable. If its going to be close to the plug outlet you will be ok with the dryer kit. If its going to be a good distance from the plug outlet I would get some pretty heavy duty 3-wire cable.
Old 09-27-2014, 02:28 PM

I would try to find a solid state relay good for at least 40 amps. My elements pull about 18 amps each. You can use a regular breaker as well just a little more involved on the mounting if you dont have a breaker box.

The solid state relay will act as your breaker and relay.

For the plug I bought a dryer kit from Lowes and the 30 ft lead I have is from an old welding rig 3-wire cable. If its going to be close to the plug outlet you will be ok with the dryer kit. If its going to be a good distance from the plug outlet I would get some pretty heavy duty 3-wire cable.
sorry for late reply my phone screen broke I have a SSR 40 amp come with PID controller what gauge wire do you recommend using thanks
Old 10-07-2014, 08:36 AM

Next and final steps:

Mounting and wiring up the PID controller. The controller kinda mounts like a single din radio as far as it having a plastic trim ring that it snaps into. I cut a square out on the box where i wanted it mounted. Mounted the SSR ( Solid State Relay ) inside the box. The thermocoupler is mounted to the top of the oven box and comes through the side of the freezer. The temp sensor is mounted through the top of the oven. For my first time hooking up 220v it seemed to go pretty smooth. Just followed the directions that came with the controller.

So I have the prewired conduit going from the SSR/controller down to the elements. The power wire came from my friend's welder setup. Its about 30 ft long so I can roll it out in the driveway for the first start up. put the new 220 plug on the other end and it plugs into my dryer connection in the garage.

Id be lying if I said I wasnt worried about a total melt down fixing to take place lol. We plugged it in, everything powered up, we cycled it up to 250F ( the PID only reads C so we had to convert, it came from Canada ).

Threw some fresh paint on the exterior and we are just about ready to go. Just need to run it up to 400 F a couple times to burn out any left over foam or silicon.

As far as fab work goes I still need to add a couple of brackets for the racks, heat shields for the elements to cut down on infared heat, and a bar across the top for hanging items.

The last pic is a test piece we did in a small toaster oven because we just couldnt wait any longer to coat something. The color is "wet black".

Can You Help Me Wire ALL This Together Thanks!!!!

Last edited by Pawel Stefaniak; 10-08-2014 at 08:10 AM.
Old 10-07-2014, 04:34 PM
Staging Lane

LS1Tech 10 Year

Ill run by my shop and double check my setup. Give me a day or 2 and ill give you some detailed instrucitons.
Old 10-07-2014, 09:37 PM

Ill run by my shop and double check my setup. Give me a day or 2 and ill give you some detailed instrucitons.
That Would Be Great Thanks
Old 02-13-2015, 09:53 AM
Staging Lane

I've been contemplating building something like this for a while. I Need a bigger garage haha. I've had very good success with a toaster oven for small parts.

Quick Reply: Diy powder coating oven build