Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Miller syncrowave 180sd or lincoln square wave 200?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 03:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Miller syncrowave 180sd or lincoln square wave 200?

Looking at tig welders and got a clean Miller 180sd syncrowave, obviously bigger welder transformer based compared to the lincoln inverter machine. I have been looking at the lincoln square wave 200 in the garage pack they have on sale this month. I do not have a shop or 220 in my garage yet so will need to steal power from dryer until I can get a better set up if I keep the miller. I like the lincoln being it's dual voltage ac dc has pulse frequency and balance adjustment and more compact. I could build a cart for the lincoln to hold both mig and tig and take same space as the one tig machine. However I like that the millers technology is proven to last, it seems to be built well, has balance and post flow gas adjustments; but lacks pulse and frequency.

What do you guys think would be best of these two? Obviously neither are high end dynasty 200 or 210 but I'm looking to learn on the machine and keep price reasonable.
Old 08-30-2016, 11:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

I'm a big fan of inverter machines. especially at home. they're plenty reliable nowadays.

doesn't have the same feel as a transformer, so it takes some getting used to. inverters on a/c seem to wanna make the torch jump a bit more.

anyway you could try 'em both and see what feels right to ya?
Old 09-01-2016, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

When I was a fabricator, I used a Lincoln Square Wave and LOVED it! For the $, it was, and still is one of the best welders for the $ IMO. The only complaint I had about it was duty cycle when I was really getting after something, but other than that, and that was pretty rare, I liked it enough, I am looking to buy one for myself.

That was back in 1999. The welder I had, was only 220v and had post flow. I am guessing the newer version is not exactly the same. I will be looking for a older one probably.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up deciding to go with the used miller 180sd, felt like got decent enough deal on it that if I need/want to sell should be able to get my money back and then could pick whatever one I wanted at that point. Thanks for the replies.

Quick Reply: Miller syncrowave 180sd or lincoln square wave 200?