Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Beaudacious Back Half

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2021, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

HOLY ****...you have some fukin mad skills!!!
Old 02-07-2021, 08:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
HOLY ****...you have some fukin mad skills!!!
Thanks but its only because im too damn stubborn to quit
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (02-07-2021)
Old 02-07-2021, 09:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

On something like that fabbed 9" housing, how do you defeat warpage as you construct it? So many times when I'm welding hot and cold sides for my turbo setups, I get all my pie cuts made, mocked up, taped, etc, then do some tacks to hold things in place. But when I start going around the circumference, things start pulling one way or another and by the time I finish, sometimes the v-band flanges don't end up where they were intended. I have to imagine on such substantial pieces as that differential housing, it's even more pronounced. Do you account for the anticipated warpage or pulling by incorporating a gap before you start welding or is it more of a process of balancing a inch of weld on one side, then an inch on the other, , back and forth till it's all welded?
Thanks,
Great work by the way!
Old 02-08-2021, 08:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mightyquickz28
On something like that fabbed 9" housing, how do you defeat warpage as you construct it? So many times when I'm welding hot and cold sides for my turbo setups, I get all my pie cuts made, mocked up, taped, etc, then do some tacks to hold things in place. But when I start going around the circumference, things start pulling one way or another and by the time I finish, sometimes the v-band flanges don't end up where they were intended. I have to imagine on such substantial pieces as that differential housing, it's even more pronounced. Do you account for the anticipated warpage or pulling by incorporating a gap before you start welding or is it more of a process of balancing a inch of weld on one side, then an inch on the other, , back and forth till it's all welded?
Thanks,
Great work by the way!
thanks for the compliment
This is how i weld housings without distortion

As for tubing systems i do one complete weld at a time that way my distortion is counted for during the next fitting

Quick Reply: Beaudacious Back Half