Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

anyone seen the Matco LS1 balancer holder.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 10:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default anyone seen the Matco LS1 balancer holder.

i saw one on my matco dealers flyer. it snaps on to a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar and goes between one of the holes on the balancer. it claimes that you can hold the balancer still so you can take off the bolt without it moveing. looks alot easyer then locking the flywheel or on M6s, putting it in gear and locking the tires. it cost like $50. i am thinking about getting one ordered.
Old 08-05-2004, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by taqwache
i saw one on my matco dealers flyer. it snaps on to a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar and goes between one of the holes on the balancer. it claimes that you can hold the balancer still so you can take off the bolt without it moveing. looks alot easyer then locking the flywheel or on M6s, putting it in gear and locking the tires. it cost like $50. i am thinking about getting one ordered.
Any link to that tool?

Al
Old 08-05-2004, 07:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DARK AGE 53
Any link to that tool?

Al
no dont think there is. i just saw it on one of there flyiers they hand out once a week.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:56 PM
11 Second Club

That would be nice to have for an auto car. Its a waste of money for m6 cars tho. Its to easy to put it in gear.

Brad
Old 08-07-2004, 11:45 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

screw that I'd rather save that money and use a tool I already have that has more than one function an impact.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Cody Brooks
screw that I'd rather save that money and use a tool I already have that has more than one function an impact.
That works great on the 99 model, but not on an 01 or 02, not sure about a 00 yet. The newer ones are more difficult to remove.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

I've yet to meet a crank bolt that the Ti can't remove.
Old 08-08-2004, 04:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've yet to meet a crank bolt that the Ti can't remove.
But how are you going to torque the old bolt to 220ft/lbs, then install a new bolt, torque it to 37ft/lbs and turn it another 140 degrees with an impact?
Old 08-08-2004, 07:50 PM
TECH Resident

does the correct torque really matter on crank bolts? no not really. Its not like on lug nuts were you have to make sure that they are evenly tightened to prevent warped rotors. Personally I would just tighten it down good with an impact and go on about my day.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

does the correct torque really matter on crank bolts? no not really. Its not like on lug nuts were you have to make sure that they are evenly tightened to prevent warped rotors. Personally I would just tighten it down good with an impact and go on about my day.
It probably matters to the people that have had the bolt back out and the pulley fall off.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes, it matters very much.

GM engineers don't make up torque sequences to make everyone's lives more difficult.

To each his own.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

300 foot pounds should be enough to keep it from falling off. When you do the 140 degrees after 37 foot pounds your stretching the bolt to help create a clamping force to hold the pulley onto the crank. Put the Ti on setting 3 and it should be around 300 foot pounds of torque which is plenty of clamping load to hold it on. Of course with a new pulley like with new rims the torque needs to be checked after a few hundred miles.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:19 AM
Banned

yeah but torque specs are just a matter of a mathmatical calculation, guys on the assembly line torque stuff down with cordless impacts but the repair manual shows torque specs for every interior fastener.

The balancer bolt will get to a point where it stops turning with the impact, other words the torque spec but isn't the balancer bolt on LS1s like 150 then turn x amount of degrees?
Old 08-09-2004, 05:55 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pete2k_Z28
But how are you going to torque the old bolt to 220ft/lbs, then install a new bolt, torque it to 37ft/lbs and turn it another 140 degrees with an impact?
Not that I would do this but it does seem possible. Torque it to 37lbs. Mark the head of the bolt with a marker (same thing I do) then instead of the breaker bar and a pipe bust out the impact and watch the sockett as it turns. Pull the tool away periodically and check the angle of the mark on the bolt. You could also mark one side of the sockett.

Just a thought.

Brad
Old 08-10-2004, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fullfloatingHD
yeah but torque specs are just a matter of a mathmatical calculation, guys on the assembly line torque stuff down with cordless impacts but the repair manual shows torque specs for every interior fastener.

The balancer bolt will get to a point where it stops turning with the impact, other words the torque spec but isn't the balancer bolt on LS1s like 150 then turn x amount of degrees?
Actually, most of the tools they use on the assembly line are very expensive, torque calibrated air or electric tools. I worked for 9 years in manufacturing and was responsable for setting up several small assembly lines with such types of tools.
Old 08-10-2004, 11:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SquintzPallatore
Not that I would do this but it does seem possible. Torque it to 37lbs. Mark the head of the bolt with a marker (same thing I do) then instead of the breaker bar and a pipe bust out the impact and watch the sockett as it turns. Pull the tool away periodically and check the angle of the mark on the bolt. You could also mark one side of the sockett.

Just a thought.

Brad
That's what a lot of guys do. Smack the old bolt in with an impact,take it out, torque the new one to 37, and turn the 140 with an impact. It seems to work, but it's not "correct".

Quick Reply: anyone seen the Matco LS1 balancer holder.