Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Crank pulley installer - JCW $27

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
The unit I got is called a harmonic balancer installer - part # Zx147601B It is really strong and works on practically all vehicles....
Good info to have.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
Good info to have.
The fact that it doesn't work on our cars is better info to have.
Old 10-25-2004, 12:24 PM
Sweet Cheeks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't you just butt the new pulley up by tightening the old crank bolt? Why the fancy tool?
Old 10-25-2004, 12:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Dear John
Can't you just butt the new pulley up by tightening the old crank bolt? Why the fancy tool?
The threading isn't nearly long enough. Believe me, I tried. Besides, this puts a lot of stress on the first few threads in the crank snout. Stripping those threads would be VERY bad.

-Mike
Old 10-25-2004, 02:59 PM
Teching In

I see.
Old 10-25-2004, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2xLS1
Where do I start. I'm pretty sure providing a direct link to a non sponsor's product is not allowed whether you have a direct interest in it or not. The tool you are promoting is $27 plus shipping. My tool was $25 shipped. It cost me $5 to box and ship it. Go and price 1M lengths of threaded rod, washers and nuts to see what my cost was. You will find out you are wrong again. I had about 40 people who saw enough value in it to buy it. Again it was posted that the JCW tool will not work on a LS1. Looks like you are wrong again. Doing a search on many of your other posts and the replys you get, it looks like 99% of the people on this site don't give a rats *** about anything you post here. How come you don't seem to have a problem with the Larry spring tool being sold here? I'm done.
2xLS1, you wasting your time. People don't understand the price of the materials. I wish you made your tool still because I would of sent you 25 bucks in a second. I just spent way more than that for all the materials especially the 1M of M16 so I can make my own. People think this crap is sooo easy to get. They don't sell it in smaller lengths and you can only get it from metal specialty supply houses- Not Home Depot or Lowes. I planned to use the remainder of my material to make some tools to recove some of my costs but if people are just going to bash and not appreciate the fact that you are trying to save them from effing up there crank thread then I'll just forget it.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

but if people are just going to bash and not appreciate the fact that you are trying to save them from effing up there crank thread then I'll just forget it.
Exactly why I quit making them.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BLASTER
I just spent way more than that for all the materials especially the 1M of M16 so I can make my own. People think this crap is sooo easy to get. They don't sell it in smaller lengths and you can only get it from metal specialty supply houses- Not Home Depot or Lowes.
That's the key right there. Anybody can build there own, IF they want to spend 30+ dollars (mcmaster-carr) for a meter of threaded rod. Anyone with half a brain understands the value of the 2xLS1 tool. Internet bashing be damned!
Old 10-26-2004, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Murdock
That's the key right there. Anybody can build there own, IF they want to spend 30+ dollars (mcmaster-carr) for a meter of threaded rod. Anyone with half a brain understands the value of the 2xLS1 tool. Internet bashing be damned!
Exactly. It's not like he was selling something for a 500% markup. I think some are under the impression that these cost 5 bucks to make. It cost alot more to make a tool for yourself than what he was selling them for. That's why I also purchased Larry's spring tool and Al's Catch Can bracket. I figure it would take me more time and money spent on materials to come up with something.
Old 10-26-2004, 01:38 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by CANNIBAL
Robert, I don't know why you fail to acknowledge facts.

We can appreciate your effort to find us better deals but when you disregard facts it lessens your credibility.
Anyone that can read will easily make their own judgements on Robert's "credibility". As for my opinion, I think he complains alot, is an eternal pessimist, and often has the taste of his own foot in his mouth.

BTW, 2xLS1 had our permission to sell his simple crank tool here. I even have one myself and it works perfectly. I'd sure as hell trust a hardened stud over some crappy taiwan JC Whitney crap. I don't care about it not working on the neighbor's subaru.
Old 10-26-2004, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
Anyone that can read will easily make their own judgements on Robert's "credibility". As for my opinion, I think he complains alot, is an eternal pessimist, and often has the taste of his own foot in his mouth.

BTW, 2xLS1 had our permission to sell his simple crank tool here. I even have one myself and it works perfectly. I'd sure as hell trust a hardened stud over some crappy taiwan JC Whitney crap. I don't care about it not working on the neighbor's subaru.
Old 10-26-2004, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

Crap, I didn't know he stopped selling them. I was hoping to buy one.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:08 PM
TECH Veteran

www.jcwhitney.com

HARMONIC BALANCER INSTALLER
Use for all cars and light trucks, including diesels with balancers or pulleys pressed on crankshaft.

Click product SKU for more detailed information
Item Description Unit SKU# Price Qty. Order
Harmonic Balancer Installer Each ZX147601B $27.99
I'm not here to bolster my credibility. I'm here to discuss issues and solutions. If you buy a threaded rod and nut and pay $29 - then good for you. If you want a whole set of tools that will install many differnt sized pulleys and is specifically designed for this purposes and is priced the same, then that is good too.

The informed consumer is a happy camper....
Old 10-26-2004, 10:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
www.jcwhitney.com

If you want a whole set of tools that will install many differnt sized pulleys
Except for LS1 F bodsl
Old 10-26-2004, 11:39 PM
TECH Veteran

This tool works for Gen 3 engines! The AC/Power steering installer sold by JCW does not work for Gen 3 engines...!
Old 10-27-2004, 12:23 AM
TECH Resident

I heard the JCW one didn't work on gen 3 also.
Old 10-27-2004, 02:53 AM
TECH Veteran

...........uhg!
Old 10-27-2004, 03:41 AM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

I was very grateful that 2xLS1 had put together the tools and was offering them for sale. I was putting my car back together, and the last thing I wanted to do was experiment with odd-ball tools, or run down the materials to make my own tool. Just a couple clicks of the mouse and my tool was here the next day, and my pulley was safely installed in a couple minutes. Great service, great tool! What more can you ask for? Thanks again dude!!
Old 10-27-2004, 06:52 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

My question is does heating up the pulley really make it that much easier to put on? Do you run any risks in heating it with a propane torch slowly and thouroughly?

That would make sense to me doing it that way. Heat it enough to slide it on pretty easily and then use the new bolt to torque it down to specs. Seems like a lot less stress on the snout of the crank.

Please someone correct me if I am wrong.
Old 10-27-2004, 09:47 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those of you wanting a tool like 2xLS1's, just fyi,

Here is my experience. I was able to have one made for me at a bolt, screw supply shop. Around here, it is called Mac Bolt and Screw.

Anyway, they sell threaded rod by the inch and cut it for me. The price was very reasonable, around 7.00 for the rod, nut and washer. They did not charge for cutting it either.

Instead of going to Lowes or somewhere else and being forced to buy 1M of this stuff and cut it yourself, you should look around and see if you have a business like Mac around your area as it could save you some money.

Mike

Last edited by SidewaysTA; 10-27-2004 at 10:12 AM.

Quick Reply: Crank pulley installer - JCW $27