Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

I bought Craftsmutt wrenches- so what!

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2004, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i started out with cheap *** tools, and i wont lie, i havent broken any. i have done a few motor swaps, many cam swaps, all my suspension, etc etc, but i dont use them 24/7 like a mechanic does. I have even taken my 3 1/2 ton jack handle and slid it over my 3/8th china ratchet...M A N Y times and it survived...but it was under stress for about 5 seconds and again, ive done it many times yes, but probably less than a mecanic does in a month. also, try putting one of thoes cheap china sockets on an impact. craftsman are the only tools ive seen that arent rated for an impact but will not break...and news flash, if it does, get a new one for free. not hard to figure out why you should buy them over china stuff. Also, i dont go to NOPI tournaments with my tools...

point being, yes china tools WILL NOT break on a new non rusted car where all you do is lug nuts and oil changes. no doubt they are fine for that. but im going to be old one day, and i dont want to buy new tools, the $800 craftsman set i own will be inherited by someone in the family when i die. i bet they survive a nuclear bomb too hahaha

Last edited by Camaro_Zach; 11-30-2004 at 11:19 AM.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:58 AM
TECH Addict

EDIT - I have used the cheap Chinese crap before, and have the scars to prove it. Enough said

Last edited by LOnSLO; 11-30-2004 at 12:08 PM.
Old 11-30-2004, 06:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do the foreign tools have the warranty? Most of my life I have used Snap-On (my uncle's tools) and crafstman (his too... he uses his crafstman xtension bar as a pry bar...) and I have used stanley too... the first time I did a oil change on the camry my uncle bought me some china stuff and we broke the socket on the first spin. So bad experience for the first time. I like crafstman, and I'm sticking with it.
Old 11-30-2004, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by moyam01
Do the foreign tools have the warranty? Most of my life I have used Snap-On (my uncle's tools) and crafstman (his too... he uses his crafstman xtension bar as a pry bar...) and I have used stanley too... the first time I did a oil change on the camry my uncle bought me some china stuff and we broke the socket on the first spin. So bad experience for the first time. I like crafstman, and I'm sticking with it.
Me too, unless I win the lottery, or move to China.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The Pittsburg tools at Harbor Freight do have a lifetime warranty. I did the "press to test" after breaking an impact socket. Went into the store, the guy pulled a new one out of the box and "have a nice day". Didn't even have to go to the counter for an exchange!
Old 12-02-2004, 08:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Stanley, Popular Mechanics, SK, Titain, Gear Wrench and other manufacturors of the Asain "crap" tools also carry a similar lifetime warranty; it is printed on the package.

...this is really industry standard stuff that has een around for a very long time....

Craftsmutt advertises this a major selling point but if you buy the competition's tools you get the same warranty coverage....

My only observation here is that when you buy Craftsmutt tools you pay through the nose for the warranty ...if you buy HF, Pittsburg, Stanley you get better quality for about 1/2 the price...
Old 12-03-2004, 06:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
Stanley, Popular Mechanics, SK, Titain, Gear Wrench and other manufacturors of the Asain "crap" tools also carry a similar lifetime warranty; it is printed on the package.

...this is really industry standard stuff that has een around for a very long time....

Craftsmutt advertises this a major selling point but if you buy the competition's tools you get the same warranty coverage....

My only observation here is that when you buy Craftsmutt tools you pay through the nose for the warranty ...if you buy HF, Pittsburg, Stanley you get better quality for about 1/2 the price...

If you really BELIEVE that "when you buy Craftsmutt tools you pay through the nose for the warranty ...if you buy HF, Pittsburg, Stanley you get better quality for about 1/2 the price" then WHY would you go out and BUY those Craftsman tools instead of the chinese junk you love so much...

When I need a good laugh, All I have to do is read some of your post's...
Old 12-03-2004, 12:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Well that is a good question.

I bought the Craftsmutt wrenches to compare them against the Asain crap - Stanley, Gear Wrench, Popular Mechanics, Huskey, etc that I also own.

My initial impression is that the Sears stuff is high priced Vs. what you get for your money. If you want to pay twice as much for a set of wrenches that has nicks, casting flaws, sharp edges, tool marks, forging goofs, etc. then fine - buy the Crafttsmutt stuff.

I own sets of each and can tell you which I prefer for the price I paid.

Now, please pass the rice....
Old 12-03-2004, 12:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Who the hell cares if it's got nicks in it? It's not a fricken wedding dress.
Old 12-04-2004, 04:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

MAC wrenches are awesome looking and they do the job too.
Try one high end tool please and let us kow how you feel about it.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

I bought the Craftsmutt wrenches to compare them against the Asain crap - Stanley, Gear Wrench, Popular Mechanics, Huskey, etc that I also own.

My initial impression is that the Sears stuff is high priced Vs. what you get for your money. If you want to pay twice as much for a set of wrenches that has nicks, casting flaws, sharp edges, tool marks, forging goofs, etc. then fine - buy the Crafttsmutt stuff.

It's going to take a LOT more than a 'bowl of rice' for you to grow some brains... But you are a funny guy!

Now, Please excuse me while I go check the contents of my toolbox for scratches and scuffs. I just can't stand the thought of an 'imperfect' tool being in there...

I wonder if Sears will even take returns for a reason like that?

Yes, I would like to return these tools please, They are nowhere near as shiny as the ones I have from China... I think that when I go to return this stuff, I should also wear some of my clothes backwards... If I am going to SOUND like a Dumba$$ I might as well LOOK like one too!
I bet they call security...
Old 12-04-2004, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'll be the first to step in on his side also saying this.... i like my kobalt rachet ALOT more then my Craftsman. it feels alot better in my hand and when your holding something like that all day, it does make a difference. its the only piece i have and like thats NOT craftsman
Old 12-04-2004, 02:23 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The only reason I am using an 18mm Stanley wrench on a Lincoln right now is that I don't know the contact info of the local Snap-On truck, and nobody at the last 3 swapmeets I've been to in Glendale & Mesa have had an 18mm Snap-On wrench. This wrench "does the job" but it still stinks.

And so does Ford. And so does Roberts opinion.

Sincerely
-Matthew
Old 12-04-2004, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Camaro_Zach
oh no my tools dont match my high heels! EEK! I CANT BE SEEN WITH THESE UGLY TOOLS!

jesus ive never heard ANYONE cry about the way tools look...not "flaming" you but come on...marth stuart doesnt make tools for a reason...men dont care.
I About Fell Out Of My Chair On That Reply - LoL -
Old 12-04-2004, 03:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ramairstyle00
i'll be the first to step in on his side also saying this.... i like my kobalt rachet ALOT more then my Craftsman. it feels alot better in my hand and when your holding something like that all day, it does make a difference. its the only piece i have and like thats NOT craftsman
Kobalt tools are not cheap like the "chinese" tools they're talking about. From my experience, Kobalt tools cost as much as Craftsman tools.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:13 PM
Staging Lane

Dude... it's spelled Asian...

He loves 'em so much, I just had to.

Last edited by highschoolsux; 12-04-2004 at 09:50 PM.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Over time, I'll let you know how they compare with the Stanley's, Popular Mechanics and other sets that I own that are made in Tiawan (China). Initially, the fit and finish of the China stuff is light years ahead of the Craftsmutt.

How about you don't and we just say you did... k?
Old 12-04-2004, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you don't like the way regular craftsman tools look, try the professional line, they look so good it's almost ashame to get them dirty.
Old 12-05-2004, 09:34 PM
Staging Lane

I must say my tools get used ten hours a day 5 days a week. When I started out it was with all Craftsman (mix of Prof. and standards lines). And I have broke a ton of craftsman tools, but never a "ugly" craftsman wrench. Although It is still always easy to replace a broken Craftsman tool, I have switched most of my tools to Matco and took my craftsman tools to use at home. I'll have to Say Matco is $$ but I have never used better tools in my life and have not broke one matco tool. I used to swear by craftsman until I became a Tech. Guys do your selfs a favor and if you get the oppurtunity, buy a couple high end tools like matco, mac, snap-on and give them a try. Buy something you would use a lot like a 3/8 flew ratchet or something, you'll be happy with the purchase.
my 2cents
Eric
Old 12-06-2004, 03:23 PM
TECH Veteran

I have a neighbor who is a Snap-N-Half salesman so I could get some more of those very expensive tools from him I suppose - do they have anything used - or just used boxes?

If your a shade tree guy where can you purchase the good stuff - Snap-N-Half, Matco, Mac, tools?

I see some of these tools being sold at NHRA National events but they only come by Englishtown once a year...

Quick Reply: I bought Craftsmutt wrenches- so what!