Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

I bought Craftsmutt wrenches- so what!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 08:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I bought Craftsmutt wrenches- so what!

Well they had a sale at Sears. Since I am sick of you guys telling me how good these Craftsmutt tools really, are I decided to try them....so I bought a set of 14 metric and 14 standard hand wrenches. They were $45 per set.

I must admit, they are ugly; Box end is bulkey, finish is not polised, machine marks, stamping flaws, lots of ruff edges, etc.

I'm sure I will get some good use from them and since I am a shade-tree guy I figure they will be just fine for my work...

Over time, I'll let you know how they compare with the Stanley's, Popular Mechanics and other sets that I own that are made in Tiawan (China). Initially, the fit and finish of the China stuff is light years ahead of the Craftsmutt.

One reason I bought the Sears sets is that (i) they discontinued the PM brand, (ii) the Stanley brand now has a very limited selection and (iii) you guys tell me the forged steel used in the China sets sucks - even though I have never broken a single tool in about 8 years or so.

I'll keep you posted...no flames please

Thanks...
Old 11-23-2004, 09:00 AM
Teching In

should have bought the craftsMAN reversible wrenches..polished and ooooo so nice
Old 11-23-2004, 11:58 AM
10 Second Club

They might not look great but they get the job done.

BTW: Most of my tools are polished and chrome finish and after a few years you'd never know it just by looking at most of them. I think my regular forged stuff looks better now.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh no my tools dont match my high heels! EEK! I CANT BE SEEN WITH THESE UGLY TOOLS!

jesus ive never heard ANYONE cry about the way tools look...not "flaming" you but come on...marth stuart doesnt make tools for a reason...men dont care.
Old 11-23-2004, 04:27 PM
On The Tree

Go get the steal on the deep double box professional ones while you can.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I love Craftsman tools. I use them almost exclusively. The "Professional" line is really nice on the eyes, if you are really going for that bling effect.
Old 11-23-2004, 06:57 PM
On The Tree

I use craftsman all the time. If you break something you don't have to wait a week for a tool truck to come by.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the proffessional set of combination wrenches and they look and work as well as the high dollar stuff and are very well priced.
Old 11-24-2004, 06:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Camaro_Zach
oh no my tools dont match my high heels! EEK! I CANT BE SEEN WITH THESE UGLY TOOLS!

jesus ive never heard ANYONE cry about the way tools look...not "flaming" you but come on...marth stuart doesnt make tools for a reason...men dont care.

I was thinking the same thing
Old 11-25-2004, 11:10 PM
TECH Regular

Never entered my Craftsman tools in a beauty contest. But they have loosened and tightened many a nut and bolt. I guess I'll have to put a paper bag over them from now on when I use them around other people so I won't be embarrassed by their hideous appearance. I'm glad you pointed out how ugly they were or I would have thought they were a quality tool.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go get some shiny new chinese tools. I think I'll get some green neons for my tool box as well. That would be bling bling and obviously make me a better mechanic.
Old 11-26-2004, 02:10 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jump off his back ya'll.. atleast he finally got some good tools! i've got almost all craftsmen and will never let them go. i've actually got some from when my grandpa used to work on his car.... they were HIS dads
aka- over 50 years old and work perfectly but all are standard sizes... had to get all the metric new :p

Last edited by ramairstyle00; 11-26-2004 at 02:20 AM.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99ZEOD
Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go get some shiny new chinese tools. I think I'll get some green neons for my tool box as well. That would be bling bling and obviously make me a better mechanic.
That's about what I say...
Old 11-28-2004, 08:57 AM
TECH Senior Member

That is freggin halarious
Old 11-28-2004, 10:22 AM
11 Second Club

Werd! Why does this guy post so much in this section anyway acting like "Joe mechanic" ?
Old 11-29-2004, 08:57 AM
TECH Veteran

I used the Craftsmutt tools this weekend;

1. changed 02 sensors
2. changed M6 fluid
3. changed engine oil
4. installed PVC
5. installed poly transimmsion mount
6. new plugs/MSD wires
7. Tuned car with Edit
8. replaced upper and lower belts
9. removed and cleaned all belt pulleys

I still think the Stanley and Popular Mechanics tools are light years ahead...

Yeh, I know - they are made in Tiwain/China, etc....
Old 11-29-2004, 11:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
you guys tell me the forged steel used in the China sets sucks - even though I have never broken a single tool in about 8 years or so..
I'm thinking you weren't trying hard enough. Or often enough. Or you've only worked on new (read: non-rusted, non-knuckle breaking) vehicles. Or you've never used a tool for something it wasn't meant to be used for (like most shade tree mechanics do). Or . . . see, there's just too many things that don't make sense. The only thing that does make sense is: Chinese metals all have the strength of lead. And that equates to some sucky-*** tools.
Old 11-30-2004, 05:32 AM
On The Tree

i have used stanley wrenches and hand tools before. yes the finish was better then my craftsman stuff,but i care about them being effective,not pretty.

I have broken more stanley screw drives,sockets,ratchets then any craftsman tool.
Old 11-30-2004, 08:09 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Murdock
I'm thinking you weren't trying hard enough. Or often enough. Or you've only worked on new (read: non-rusted, non-knuckle breaking) vehicles. Or you've never used a tool for something it wasn't meant to be used for (like most shade tree mechanics do). Or . . . see, there's just too many things that don't make sense. The only thing that does make sense is: Chinese metals all have the strength of lead. And that equates to some sucky-*** tools.

you mean a 1/2 inch ratchet isn't a hammer, breaker bar (pipe slipped over it), or a pry bar?
Old 11-30-2004, 08:44 AM
TECH Veteran

I have three tool boxes - each about five feet tall - they are all packed with tools. I tend not to use tools in ways they were not designed for....

I have some wrenches and scokets made by - Span-N-Half, Mac, Stanley, Craftsmutt, Popular Mechanics, Gear Wrench, Titian, Harbor Freight and others...

In my opinion, the foreign stuff is supieror to anything made here. The exception is probably Snap-N-Half and Mac but their prices are so increadibly high they do not provide value for my use.

I would only say that if you think the foreign stuff is garbage, your view is probably based on tools from China that were made 20 years ago. I ran a post here a few weeks ago and everyone agreed that Gear Wrench was a quality tool. -Guess what - they are made in Tiawan (China).

My advice: try some Stanley, Gear Wrench or other inexpensive tools that are well made and provide great value..... Hey, I tried some Craftsmutt stuff - now you guys can try some foreign stuff....

Try them - you will like them - really!
Old 11-30-2004, 11:01 AM
TECH Veteran

Over the years, I have worked on a bunch of old rusty cars - I recently sold my 1970 big block Vette which was often in various stages of repair.... I still own a Mercedes SL from 1989.

...OK so when it comes to tools "looks" are not an indicator of value. That said, I compare hand wrenches from Sears and the China stuff and wonder - which is a better value?

If the Craftsmutt stuff has casting flaws, forging errors, nicks in the box end, sharp edges everywhere, machine marks, etc, I have to ask myself - was this tool manufactured with care and is it a high quality piece? Or is someone trying to cut corners so they can pay their domestic workforce $20 per hour while the foreign competition is paying their workers a few yen, won, rubbles or other foreign currency?

As far as breaking tools - It has been a very long time since I broke a single thing... like I said before I don't abuse tools - If I am using an impact wrench I will use impact sockets - if I have a frozen bolt or nut I will use Liquid wrench and a breaker bar, or in extreme cases heat - instead of a ratchet, etc.... Consequently, I suppose I don"t stress the tools over their design limits...

I truly suspect the material and hardening processes used on the foreign "junk" is at least as good as Sears.... Hey I've owned this stuff for years and have not had a single issue...

I love Snap-N-Half and Mac tools as much as you do - they are just too expensive for me, however... So, in conclusion, I dont see the value in domestic manufactured stuff including Sears.

If you dissagree - thats fine I respect you opinion. I have a different opinion and have tried lots of different tool sets....

Can you say the same?

Quick Reply: I bought Craftsmutt wrenches- so what!