Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

MORE Valvespring tool and JPR Cam Tool

Old 01-17-2005, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default MORE Valvespring tool and JPR Cam Tool

How well do these two tools work? does the MORE work on all valvesprings, even the ones in the back? Any comments on these two tools are greatly appreciated
Old 01-17-2005, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd like to know this too. Cam install is in the near future for me.
Old 01-18-2005, 10:14 AM
7 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We just swapped springs with the crane tool and let me tell you that tihngs rocks. You can do 2 springs in under 5 minutes.
Phil
Old 01-18-2005, 05:20 PM
12 Second Club

I have owned the More tool. IT FREAKING BLOWS ***! It is made from aluminum and if you don't have it on perfect, you can break it. Which I mention because I did break one. Split it right in half.

So I bucked up the cash and bought a Crane (Vincci) tool. It owns all. Works like a freaking charm. Bolts down straight and secure. Very good investment. I have done multiple f-body spring with it. And it's really easy with the trucks.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am really happy with the crane valve spring compressor also. It was real easy and quick like phil99vette and derek98z mentioned. I did my first spring swap with the autozone tool. That thing was a nightmare and it took so ****** long it was ridiculuos. I did a spring swap this past weekend with the crane tool and what a difference that made. I couldn't believe how easy it was! and 2 at a time!! I was so happy with that tool that I almost wanted to kiss it, lol.

I've heard mixed reviews on the MORE tool. Buy the crane tool, you won't regret it.
Also, don't waste your money on the jpr tool, just go to home depot and get 2 rods for under 5 bux, and there's your jpr tool. That's what I did, it worked like a charm.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:05 PM
TECH Junkie

i have both the crane and the more tool. the crane is GREAt for swapping valvesprings. the more tool is GREAT for decorating the bottom of my trash can

clioff notes: get yourself the crane tool
Old 01-27-2005, 04:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Turo
i have both the crane and the more tool. the crane is GREAt for swapping valvesprings. the more tool is GREAT for decorating the bottom of my trash can

clioff notes: get yourself the crane tool

Amen
Old 01-30-2005, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

I too had the More tool, the aluminum would start to bend where the socket wrench goes on. It was too hard to see what you were doing under the cowl, to try and center it perfectly over the valve spring while pulling down to compress it. So I bought the crane tool. It works wonders, did the last swap in a couple of hours.
Old 01-31-2005, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Another vote for the crane tool! Makes it so much easier. My first spring swap took 2 hrs and that was everything including new seals.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Crane tool rocks get it.
Old 02-14-2005, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01_SuperSlow
Also, don't waste your money on the jpr tool, just go to home depot and get 2 rods for under 5 bux, and there's your jpr tool. That's what I did, it worked like a charm.
what size bar is it? i dont want to have to leave and go buy these after i have it torn down..
Old 02-14-2005, 05:09 PM
10 Second Club

They are 5/16 rolled steel I think they need to be around 24 inches long I did this with my cam swap and it worked great, just check on the length to make sure
Old 02-18-2005, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

thanks ill be sure to try that out this weekend when i do the swap
Old 02-25-2005, 09:34 AM
TECH Regular

I have the More tool. It takes some patience to use, but once you have the technique, it works pretty well, but I had alot of headache at first. I would recommend the others first, if I had to do it all over again. If you have a More tool, here is what I suggest. In lieu of having to use compressed air at each cylinder, or putting nylon rope in the spark plug hole, cranking the engine over to keep the valves up, you can use the firing order method. I just use the firing order to bring each piston up to TDC for every 45 degrees of crank rotation. This will keep the valves from falling completely down into the cylinder forcing a head removal. The valves do have enough friction against the valve seals to keep them up.

Spring Removal
The tool will only work correctly with the rocker arm tie bar installed, to give the More tool the correct angle over the valve spring and keep the valve centered inside the spring as you crank down. A 3/8" drive 8mm socket is the only socket that works, because the diameter of the drive fits against the back surface of the tool perfectly and avoids any sloppy movement. Once you have the tool bottomed out against the tie bar, remove any extentions and leave the 8mm socket in place. (The spring will not move and stay about 90% compressed.) Grab your other 3/8" drive ratchet and put it in the 3/8" drive hole on the side of the tool and compress the spring the rest of the way. Using a pen magnet remove the locks. Decompress the ratchet and remove the tool, retainer and old spring.

Spring Install
The tool will only work correctly with the rocker arm tie bar installed, to give the More tool the correct angle over the valve spring and keep the valve centered inside the spring as you crank down. A 3/8" drive 8mm socket is the only socket that works, because the diameter of the drive fits against the back surface of the tool perfectly and avoids any sloppy movement. Using your left index finger over the spring retainer, crank down on the spring keeping the valve centered. Once you have the tool bottomed out against the tie bar, remove any extentions and leave the 8mm socket in place. (The spring will not move and stay about 90% compressed.) Grab your other 3/8" drive ratchet and put it in the 3/8" drive hole on the side of the tool and compress the spring the rest of the way. With your free hand, grab your locks and insert them in place and decompress the ratchet. This method works well with alot of patience. F%$#, I dropped another lock somewhere down there. (Make sure you have a bag of super locks!!)

Important Note:
The stock retainers work the best with the More tool. I purchased titanium retainers from comp cams and only had trouble keeping the spring still.
Old 02-25-2005, 02:48 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Add another vote for the crane tool.. simply the best tool for the job out there! Used the JPR rods as well but could have made a set for less. You can get the sizes you need here. just search
Old 03-01-2005, 01:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is the Crane tool basically the same as the Larry tool, except it can do 2 springs at once? Is it worth the extra money to do 2 at once? I mean, is it easier that way, or is it easier to do one at a time?
Old 03-01-2005, 05:07 PM
11 Second Club

Crane Tool = Fast Easy Work

I freakin love this thing!

Brad
Old 03-01-2005, 05:58 PM
Launching!

Default THE "JUDGE" TOOL DOUBLED

Originally Posted by matts22
Is the Crane tool basically the same as the Larry tool, except it can do 2 springs at once? Is it worth the extra money to do 2 at once? I mean, is it easier that way, or is it easier to do one at a time?
The tool that Crane sells is basically a tandem unit of the tool I designed. It is an excellent tool and I highly recommend the Crane tool over any others if you are buying a tool. The "Judge" tool that Larry is selling is actually my design from 3 years ago.. It works just as well as the Crane tool but only compresses one valve at a time. You can build it yourself for a couple of bucks. The original thread is in the Archives for directions on how to build it.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=66030
Old 03-01-2005, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gto69judge
The tool that Crane sells is basically a tandem unit of the tool I designed. It is an excellent tool and I highly recommend the Crane tool over any others if you are buying a tool. The "Judge" tool that Larry is selling is actually my design from 3 years ago.. It works just as well as the Crane tool but only compresses one valve at a time. You can build it yourself for a couple of bucks. The original thread is in the Archives for directions on how to build it.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=66030
Cool, thanks!
Old 04-03-2005, 09:53 PM
11 Second Club

Where do I get this crane tool. I'm about to do my springs and need this tool. Thank you. I've done them before and there not easy without the right tool. I don't want to be again.
Joe

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MORE Valvespring tool and JPR Cam Tool