Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

What is the best tool and best way to remove a broken tap?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2005, 08:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What is the best tool and best way to remove a broken tap?

I'm trying to remove my power steering but on my IRON block I need to tap a new hole, I'm a newbie at tapping and I broke off the tap in the hole and I need to get it out or else figure out a different way to run a shortbelt. Whats the best tool to get out a broken tap and where to I get it from? Any other ideas for this?
Old 01-26-2005, 10:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I doubt you will have any luck, but you can try getting an easy out into the tap and threading it out. Word of advice next time your tapping something. 1/4 turn back for every 1 turn forwards.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Taps are pretty tough. They are about 62-64 on the Rockwell C scale, which is as hard or harder than a good quality high speed steel drill bit. The best way to remove one is by using a sinking EDM machine. I use these at work alot and they work great; burns a hole down the center and removes all but the threaded part of the tap. All you have to do then is go back in with another tap and clean out the threads. You may be able to find a place locally that can do it for a small fee; I have done this before.

If there isn't much of the tap in the hole, like the last 1/4"-3/8" broke off, take a center punch and hammer and hit it in the center and it will break apart (don't try this in aluminum). I've removed a few taps this way. Sometimes there isn't much alternative to breaking it up, but this really won't work if there is much more of the tap than what I said above in the hole.

You could also try drilling it out with a carbide drill. You can get masonary bits at any hardware store. This is not easy to do and you stand a good chance of destroying the threads.

Good luck with it.
Old 01-27-2005, 09:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Snap on makes a broken tap extractor..its a 3 or 4 prong deal that grabs the tap in the flutes.. let me check the catalog...
Old 01-27-2005, 09:51 AM
TECH Regular

As a last resort you could try to blow the tap out with a torch. If you have to do this, and hopefully the tap isn't too far in the hole, heat the broken tap until it starts to melt then blow it out. You have to keep the heat on the tap and try not to heat the block. I you dont get it the first time let is cool for a few hours and come back to it. When you get the broken tap blown out you need to chase the threads. like Brett95z said 1/4 turn back for every 1 turn forward. Good luck.

Last edited by Muffracing; 02-05-2005 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-27-2005, 11:43 AM
TECH Resident

The set we have used is made by a company called "Walton" there wasnt any sort of part number or web site shown its a tap extractor set that goes from 10mm to 1/2 inch dont know the metric converstion... but they work pretty good you might try soaking the tap in good penetrating oil for a little bit or heating the block with a propane tourch around the area but not directly in the hole..
Old 01-27-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CTSmechanic
Snap on makes a broken tap extractor..its a 3 or 4 prong deal that grabs the tap in the flutes.. let me check the catalog...

bingo.

its almost impossible to drill out the tap.
and a newbie with a cutting torch in a engine bay is just ASKING for trouble.

this little tool sticks into the flutes of the tap, and lets you back it out... add in a regular torch for some heat, and it should come out no problem.
Old 01-27-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Junkie

hmmm maybe Ill take it in so I dont mess it up any further, I like the flutes tool idea but where can you pick on of those up?
Old 01-27-2005, 01:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i forgot where i got mine... probly off of the snap-on truck. sears might sell them, along with the other usual tool places.

you can always call snapon and try to find out where the local truck is... then just buy right off the truck.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

MSC direct.com has them PG 305 of the catalog set of them is about 80 bucks..
Old 02-01-2005, 07:57 PM
TECH Regular

Cool. An extractor would have come in handy a few times!
Old 02-02-2005, 09:28 PM
6600 rpm clutch dump of death Administrator

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Taps are also brittle if you know what you are doing, they can be removed with a sharp drift punch and patience (you chip it out). But, there is no drill bit that will take out a broken tap or ease out. A torch is a good way to ruin whatever you are working on. EDM is the BEST way to get a broken bolt, stud, ease out, etc... out period.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

J-Rod's method is the only one that's ever worked for me.
It tends to leave an ugly hole but for accessory duty it
may be good enough. Thing is once you have gotten the
tap into enough of a bind to snap it, good luck on a few
little prongs changing its mind. Clear your swarf and back
that tap out before it gets hard to turn. If the effort is
going up, you need to pull it out, clean it off, lube it up.

Quick Reply: What is the best tool and best way to remove a broken tap?