Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Craftsman Club is a RIP OFF!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2005, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BBQLS1
Open your eyes man. I know plenty of mechanics that don't use the snapon, Matco, Mac, etc. Even ones who have been in the business for awhile. I work at a Nissan Plant, and there are no Snap On, or any of the big names around here.

cheap cars made in china deserve cheap tools made in china. also, nissan plant? so youre working with brand new bolts, that arent 10 years old with rust and road dirt and such...ok...yes i need to open my eyes, or you should shut your mouth because so far no one agrees with you
Old 04-03-2005, 01:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shamrock98TA
What about a rusted metric bolt that someone has used a SAE wrench on several times and rounded the corners off? That's part of what makes Snap-on a better tool. A professional mechanic doesn't have an hour or two to fight with a bolt, he needs to get it off and get the job done so he can move onto the next one.

Things like where the wrench grips the bolt, how well head of the wrench is in specs, etc does make a difference. Just looking at the wrench you can't tell these things, but when you use them day in and day out, it is noticeable.

However, if you buy a new car, use the correct tools for the job, and take care of it, you probably won't run into these problems. Usually for a mechanic though, he gets things that aren't like this, someone has done things like I mentioned at the first of this post.
I agree 100% with you. I work in the aircraft industry and quailty tools really matters. It's either do the job or get out of my toolbox in pieces.

When I deal with cars; on most classic cars I helped restore, the bolts are given 2 choices, it's either come off or break off!

I had to deal with real stubborn headers bolt from flowtech headers on my '74 Nova.
The shop that overhauled the engine about 6 months ago reused the paper gasket that came with the header kit.
It was due for inspection, I did a checkover myself before bringing it in. Found both header paper gaskets broke from being brittle and broke off in pieces on one side letting black exhaust soot leaking out, dangerous if in a bad traffic.

2 metal gaskets were brought. Had to use a impact gun on the 9/16ths bolts.
Only one from the driver side came off as it should.
The rest of the 5 bolts including the passgener side, came off in broken pieces.

That one bolt that came off was severly rusted and went into the trash.

Now if you used the wrong size or crappy made tools which aren't built to the exact size such as off by 1/2mm or more (you can tell this by putting the socket on the bolt and move it in both directions to determine how close the fit is) would've rounded off weak bolts easily.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by >X<
this argument is dumb. you wouldnt understand snapon, mac, matco, etc if you dont do it professionally. yeah, so you can quote some mechanics who buy cheaper tools, so what. craftsmen belong in the home garage. the stuff off of the truck belongs at the shop. i just bought a $130 radiator hose clamp tool a few months ago. i dont know how i lived without it. someone who doesnt do this for a living could not possibly understand why i need this. quit arguing with pros
Tell em boss. This year alone I have broke 13 craftsman sockets and one snap on. And the one snap on was a 3/8ths drive 7/8ths chrome, and I broke the snap one with a 3/8ths impact wrench. I have 98% snap-on with some craftsman back-ups. Snap-on may cost more but IMO they are worth it. And I am a mechanic in a sears automotive shop. Craftsman tools are for the home, shops that work on the publics cars need to have a better tools ie, snap-on,mac,matco. Anybody that has used flank-drive wrenches from snap-on was attest that the quality and the technology is there.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Since we have quite a few mechanics here, can one of you tell me what's the price difference, your cost vs a craftsman or husky or something. I am currious what you get it for?
Old 04-03-2005, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Camaro_Zach
cheap cars made in china deserve cheap tools made in china. also, nissan plant? so youre working with brand new bolts, that arent 10 years old with rust and road dirt and such...ok...yes i need to open my eyes, or you should shut your mouth because so far no one agrees with you
Ok so, I don't have a popular opinion here. Maybe if I worked as an auto mechanic I would feel differently, maybe not. I have a hard time finding it worth while to buy a whole bunch of super expensive tools, when I would get by fine with a much cheaper tool. If I had certian tools that would break often, then maybe I would upgrade just those tools that break often.

As far as getting old rusty bolts that have been rounded off, I just make sure I use a 6pt wrench or socket, get the wrench on solidly (For really rough bolts I have had to hammer a socket or wrench onto the bolt because the bolt was so fragged) and they usually come off. I find alot of times problems with a bolt are because people use a 12pt wrench or socket on a hex bolt. This really helps.

Quick Reply: Craftsman Club is a RIP OFF!!!!!