Why is Snap-On stuff so expensive...? - Page 5 - LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

Notices
Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Why is Snap-On stuff so expensive...?

Old 12-17-2017, 03:31 PM
TECH Regular

A few yrs ago I got on a Mac truck to warranty a pry bar, I was looking around and spotted a chrome sockets set and in print, it said "made in China", it still had the Mac price tho. Mac use to be good
Old 12-17-2017, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, at least they aren't bullshitting you! LOL
Old 12-21-2017, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by karataiko View Post
10+ year old thread, but very useful reading. So now it seems that Sears has sold off it's Craftsman tool brand to the Stanley B&D . Now in order to know we need to bring our reading glasses to look for Chinese made tools. I'm a weekend mechanic now days, but as a lover of my knuckles, I would never EVER use a Stanley or B&D tool

Game over man Game over! Seems that in order to get good American made tools, you will have to buy Snap-On. (Mac is owned by Stanley B&D)
There are other tool brands that are still made in the US.

Wright Tools, SK Tools, and Armstrong are a few. You just need to verify the country of origin before purchasing. Some of the Husky hand tools at Home Depot are even made in the US. I have a few screwdrivers I picked up earlier this year that are Husky and US-made.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:52 PM
Launching!

My friend use to work for Hendricks and wrenched JJ's ride at the shop and was the 'under Car' guy on the pit crew. Also of there Stuff was from Lowe's and they provided a lot of feed back on quality and fit that they actually incorporated into there brand.

Is it MAC quality, no, is it a reasonable substitute that balances cost/usability For me it is for certain tools.

So far I have used there ratcheting box wrench with good luck. Might be giving there sockets a try next since I just got into LSx stuff and need better assortment of metric stuff.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im not a Snap On crack head but I have several tools and a very nice Snap On tool box. What I like about them the most is when I got my tool box there was a card signed by the guys and gals that built it. I know they all probably have families and are just good blue collar people and I know the guy that drives the Snap On truck and alot of his personal battles. All of their hand tools are what I call heirloom tools and can be passed down to my boys so they can take them to the pawn shop when im dead. Their battery tools are different. They are made offshore and no better than Milwaukee and DeWalt.
In short, their hand tools are not made by some 8 year old communist and it means something to have Snap On tools. Nobody cares if you are handed down a nice set of Gearwrench wrenches.
Old 12-31-2017, 08:44 AM
Launching!

"can be passed down to my boys so they can take them to the pawn shop when im dead."

I have the same kid as you. Loves his truck and likes cool cars but wrenching them.... that's not his thing.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:12 AM
12 Second Club

The thing I can’t fathom is how a toolbox, which is just bent slivers of sheet metal, costs more than a new car. A car has an engine, electronics, airbags, crash safety standards, higher shipping costs to get it to you, way more R&D to pass safety standards and be better than a competitors car, yet there are some toolboxes that cost more than a Camry.
Old 01-09-2018, 06:20 AM
Launching!

Titanium ball bearings
Old 01-09-2018, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by epfatboy View Post
My friend use to work for Hendricks and wrenched JJ's ride at the shop and was the 'under Car' guy on the pit crew. Also of there Stuff was from Lowe's and they provided a lot of feed back on quality and fit that they actually incorporated into there brand.

Is it MAC quality, no, is it a reasonable substitute that balances cost/usability For me it is for certain tools.

So far I have used there ratcheting box wrench with good luck. Might be giving there sockets a try next since I just got into LSx stuff and need better assortment of metric stuff.
some tools need to be better. my snap on box wrenches, sockets and ratchet where worth the coin to me. (used to work in a shop) have had in use for over a decade and will see many more of abuse. it was worth the investment. i have an older set of 12pt mac sockets that appear to be aluminum but i have had them behind an impact and stood up.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants View Post
The thing I canít fathom is how a toolbox, which is just bent slivers of sheet metal, costs more than a new car. A car has an engine, electronics, airbags, crash safety standards, higher shipping costs to get it to you, way more R&D to pass safety standards and be better than a competitors car, yet there are some toolboxes that cost more than a Camry.
I've never bought a new tool box, You can buy a really nice set of Snap-On boxes cheap when you have a 2-3 grand cash, Just got to be a couple hundred over Pawn value.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:44 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by EastTnZ28 View Post
some 8 year old communist

this is the best thing i have ever read
Old 01-13-2018, 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

I've been wrenching since 86 and I couldn't afford to buy snap-on.mac back then. After going to sears every day replacing my broken **** I had to start. In 88 the shop got broken into and they stole everyone tools. I couldn't afford to pay any more than 20 bucks a week so I went with snap-on because the dealer was cool and let me have about 20k in tools. In the beginning, we all wanted a big res snap-on box. I bought one then traded it in for a new one until I got the one big *** box I have now. I took it home before back surgery in 2000, it never left my house. With all that said the tools are the best (in my mind), they come to you and you don't have to put out all the money up front. The dealer we have said its about 40% mark up. I guess that pays for all the warranty on the tools + once your on the truck you'll find other **** you want