Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Why is Snap-On stuff so expensive...?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 03:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

A few yrs ago I got on a Mac truck to warranty a pry bar, I was looking around and spotted a chrome sockets set and in print, it said "made in China", it still had the Mac price tho. Mac use to be good
Old 12-17-2017, 03:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,088 Likes on 2,404 Posts

Well, at least they aren't bullshitting you! LOL
Old 12-21-2017, 11:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 243 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by karataiko
10+ year old thread, but very useful reading. So now it seems that Sears has sold off it's Craftsman tool brand to the Stanley B&D . Now in order to know we need to bring our reading glasses to look for Chinese made tools. I'm a weekend mechanic now days, but as a lover of my knuckles, I would never EVER use a Stanley or B&D tool

Game over man Game over! Seems that in order to get good American made tools, you will have to buy Snap-On. (Mac is owned by Stanley B&D)
There are other tool brands that are still made in the US.

Wright Tools, SK Tools, and Armstrong are a few. You just need to verify the country of origin before purchasing. Some of the Husky hand tools at Home Depot are even made in the US. I have a few screwdrivers I picked up earlier this year that are Husky and US-made.
Old 12-30-2017, 01:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

My friend use to work for Hendricks and wrenched JJ's ride at the shop and was the 'under Car' guy on the pit crew. Also of there Stuff was from Lowe's and they provided a lot of feed back on quality and fit that they actually incorporated into there brand.

Is it MAC quality, no, is it a reasonable substitute that balances cost/usability For me it is for certain tools.

So far I have used there ratcheting box wrench with good luck. Might be giving there sockets a try next since I just got into LSx stuff and need better assortment of metric stuff.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im not a Snap On crack head but I have several tools and a very nice Snap On tool box. What I like about them the most is when I got my tool box there was a card signed by the guys and gals that built it. I know they all probably have families and are just good blue collar people and I know the guy that drives the Snap On truck and alot of his personal battles. All of their hand tools are what I call heirloom tools and can be passed down to my boys so they can take them to the pawn shop when im dead. Their battery tools are different. They are made offshore and no better than Milwaukee and DeWalt.
In short, their hand tools are not made by some 8 year old communist and it means something to have Snap On tools. Nobody cares if you are handed down a nice set of Gearwrench wrenches.
The following users liked this post:
wannafbody (03-03-2021)
Old 12-31-2017, 08:44 AM
9 Second Club

"can be passed down to my boys so they can take them to the pawn shop when im dead."

I have the same kid as you. Loves his truck and likes cool cars but wrenching them.... that's not his thing.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

The thing I can’t fathom is how a toolbox, which is just bent slivers of sheet metal, costs more than a new car. A car has an engine, electronics, airbags, crash safety standards, higher shipping costs to get it to you, way more R&D to pass safety standards and be better than a competitors car, yet there are some toolboxes that cost more than a Camry.
wannafbody (03-03-2021)
Old 01-09-2018, 06:20 AM
9 Second Club

Titanium ball bearings
Old 01-09-2018, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by epfatboy
My friend use to work for Hendricks and wrenched JJ's ride at the shop and was the 'under Car' guy on the pit crew. Also of there Stuff was from Lowe's and they provided a lot of feed back on quality and fit that they actually incorporated into there brand.

Is it MAC quality, no, is it a reasonable substitute that balances cost/usability For me it is for certain tools.

So far I have used there ratcheting box wrench with good luck. Might be giving there sockets a try next since I just got into LSx stuff and need better assortment of metric stuff.
some tools need to be better. my snap on box wrenches, sockets and ratchet where worth the coin to me. (used to work in a shop) have had in use for over a decade and will see many more of abuse. it was worth the investment. i have an older set of 12pt mac sockets that appear to be aluminum but i have had them behind an impact and stood up.
Old 01-10-2018, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by bufmatmuslepants
The thing I can’t fathom is how a toolbox, which is just bent slivers of sheet metal, costs more than a new car. A car has an engine, electronics, airbags, crash safety standards, higher shipping costs to get it to you, way more R&D to pass safety standards and be better than a competitors car, yet there are some toolboxes that cost more than a Camry.
I've never bought a new tool box, You can buy a really nice set of Snap-On boxes cheap when you have a 2-3 grand cash, Just got to be a couple hundred over Pawn value.
Old 01-13-2018, 09:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 526 Likes on 356 Posts

Originally Posted by EastTnZ28
some 8 year old communist

this is the best thing i have ever read
wannafbody (03-03-2021)
Old 01-13-2018, 11:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I've been wrenching since 86 and I couldn't afford to buy snap-on.mac back then. After going to sears every day replacing my broken **** I had to start. In 88 the shop got broken into and they stole everyone tools. I couldn't afford to pay any more than 20 bucks a week so I went with snap-on because the dealer was cool and let me have about 20k in tools. In the beginning, we all wanted a big res snap-on box. I bought one then traded it in for a new one until I got the one big *** box I have now. I took it home before back surgery in 2000, it never left my house. With all that said the tools are the best (in my mind), they come to you and you don't have to put out all the money up front. The dealer we have said its about 40% mark up. I guess that pays for all the warranty on the tools + once your on the truck you'll find other **** you want
Old 02-27-2021, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Richiec77
Think about it in this sense:

Do you want a Guarenteed product that might break when you need it most? Or do you want a product that probably won't break when you need it the most?

Snap on is stronger and is much mnore reliable. Mechanics make money and bsically live and die by their tools. That is why there is a company like Snap-on and MAC that make tools that won't break when you need it the most. Craftsman is good for DIY and some stuff, but for tools that see serious use and are needed, it is very much worth the price.

The extra cost is due to much more R+D and MUCH better engineering of the Tools and other stuff. That makes it cost a little more. Then they use better steel's to make a stronger tool. Take a Craftman Cast tool vs Forged steel. Some of the Snap-on stuff is true Tool quality steel and is about the strongest you can get.

It's like mild steel vs Chrome-moly steel.
snap on now is nothing like snap on 15+ years ago those of us that have older tools can 100% tell you they switched their metal type. I've broken many newer snap on tools in recent years but my previous generation snap on tools will not die /break.. I still regret exchanging my prybar that had many battles with tractor trailers and excavators while the handle part broke it never bent chipped or mushroomed for 10+ years then i got it replaced bc they couldnt repair the handle with in 2 weeks it looked like some **** garbage Pittsburg tool. But i have found a socket that meets old time standards and its GP i've not broken or rounded a single one off in over 8 years but my snap on count still keeps rising. Now do work as a millwright in a chemical plant for over 6 years ,so these tools are put through a real test of acid , steam and caustic . when you add in the these factors my go too tools are craftman, starrett and GP. If there is a snap on representative that can debate my claims of switched metal go for it youll be exposed so fast with my box of broken tools and snap on leading the way.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 836 Likes on 639 Posts

One of the best ratchets I have is a 70's model Husky. Nothing is made like it used to be. I can say that I've been in a factory that is a supplier to Snap On and they produce a quality product in the USA. If that means something to you then Snap On might be worth the price. Since i use my tools on an accasional basis, Harbor Freight stuff is good enough for my needs for the most part.
Old 06-14-2021, 05:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave Carney
High gross margins.
High gross margins? Compared to whom? The average gross profit on Snap-On tools is 38%, including all the tools ("outside" and Snap-On labelled). This is well within the framework of what is typical in a retail business and is, in fact, less than many.
The correct answer includes a combination of marketing methods (the dollars go up the chain, from manufacturing, to management, to franchisee. The other part of the answer is quality. Note Snap-On sells "Blue Point" branded tools in which the sockets, for example, are 1/4 or less the price of Snap-On branded sockets.
Old 06-14-2021, 06:15 PM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Snap on prices have gone insane levels. I wrench for a living and make more then I ever have. Hard to justify some of the items. They recently had a shop vac in the flyier. $1200 dollars haha. Still love the wrenches and use a lot of there tools. Just a lot of them are in the stratosphere. I buy more Mac lately.
Old 11-20-2021, 08:05 PM

Default Raining on the parade.

I grew up in my families True Value hardware. I respect a good tool. Times have changed, product engineering has become a science of how shitty can we make something till the internet calls us out. Money is the goal market share is the game. Market share is not always as it seems though. Here is where it gets tricky. Most products now are made at factories that manufacture for multiple corporate buyers and they run 3 or 4 grades of the same product. Just swapping out bezels, color and then some higher end parts for cheaper ones in the lower end parts.
. Snap-on doesn't make most of their offerings. They may have had some control on the quality of interchangable, but they have been caught bon too many occasions in product reviews being identical to another way less expensive brand. Don't believe me Google it, YouTube is full of examples.
Don't hate the player. No point reinventing the wheel. Some of their tried and true products are as solid as they are timeless. Sockets, still the best in the industry....well mine are at least 30 years old. So.....Good luck keep your powder dry.
G Atsma (11-20-2021)
Old 11-20-2021, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 475 Likes on 365 Posts

I have a SnapOn Aerospace crescent Wrench, a 6" one ,, they were north of 200 bucks, in the early 90's. Solid billet forged stainless.
I got it as a work gift/prize years ago and ever time I use it its like.. dang that thing is made good. when you spin the clamp down it grabs the bolt head.

I also have their ratcheting screwdriver, the black one, hold bits inside the handle, have used it for going on 30 years..
has the finest ratchet in it I've ever found works perfect on delicate screws or stuff your trying to break,
they are about 150 bucks, worth every penny.

G Atsma (11-20-2021)
Old 11-21-2021, 07:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 836 Likes on 639 Posts

Harbor Freight now has a 24K gold plated Icon ratchet for all you ballers.

I was at my mechanics last week. I noticed he had a Mac air gun. I asked him about it and he said they are made by Ingersol Rand and better quality than Snap On air guns.
Old 11-23-2021, 02:03 PM
Launching!

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Best toolbox value out there right now is US General hands down. The roller bearings, drawer slides and thickness of the sheet metal is among the best. I’m a tool maker by trade so I have Kennedy tool boxes. I bought a US General add on box and it is actually better quality. I took the US General logo off of it and added a Kennedy logo. The red finish matches perfectly so no one is the wiser.
The following 2 users liked this post by L92 OLDS:
99 Black Bird T/A (11-23-2021), wannafbody (11-24-2021)

Quick Reply: Why is Snap-On stuff so expensive...?