Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Where to buy spring compressors

Old 09-29-2005, 08:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where to buy spring compressors

I'll be changing shocks soon. Where can I get some good spring compressors?
Old 09-29-2005, 08:53 AM
Staging Lane

Cheap? Go to Sears Craftsman makes some. Mac Tools also carry them.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:39 PM
TECH Veteran

I confess: I have never done a front spring/shock swap.

Since these pups carry a few tons of weight around all day, I assume the swap is somewhat risky if the compressing tool gives up and the spring comes your way in a hurry.

Is this dangerous? Are there any standard precautions like asking your worst enemy to do the job for you?
Old 09-29-2005, 08:24 PM
Staging Lane

Rent strut/spring compressor from Autozone- FREE. Theres no harm... a long as u take ur time and compress evenly, and release evenly. Hope u dont live in snow or near the beach- took me about 5 days (bc of school work, etc.) to do mine- Both nuts rusted; had to cut through em in the end... managed to salvage the shock tho.... good luck!
Old 09-29-2005, 08:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

When I did mine I borrowed my cousin's which he got at advanced auto parts.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Harbor Freight!
Old 09-30-2005, 06:35 AM
10 Second Club

I was just looking at an external spring compressor at Sears the other day. The quality looked pretty good. Didn't notice the price though.

With a good compressor it's not really to dangerous. Just don't have the top of the spring pointing at you or anyone else when your unbolting it. The last two times I swapped them I just impacted them off with no compressor, with the stock springs I highly reccomend not doing that. It made for a good show though.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:09 AM
TECH Veteran

I live in NY.

I've heard that rusting is a problem. Is it the nut at the top of the shock that rusts? what about liquid wrench or heat?
Old 10-03-2005, 09:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Compstall:
So I have two sets of spring compressors from HF. Have you used these? I am concerned that the threaded rod is not hardened. Some of the other HF pullers I have used from them suk.

Are these OK to use?
Old 10-03-2005, 06:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've never had problems w/ my Harbor Freight cheapie. I've used it on 4 different cars myself, and loaned it out a few times too.

And to answer your other question, yes that stupid nut rusts out. The cup up on top of the upper strut mount traps dirt and water and the nut just sits in there basting in all the grunge. I have a write up on my experience in my sig. Anyway, not only does the nut rust in there, the metal sleeve that the strut rod slides into (within the upper rubber cushion) also rusted itself solid on the strut rod. I used hammers and everything to get it to budge, I even let the spring compressor off it and hammered on it and it wouldn't come off!

I ended up re-tightening the spring compressor down on it and cutting, banging, gouging, Dremel'ing, whatever it took to get the upper mount off the strut. The upper mount was destroyed, and I had to get a new one. I think dealer price on a new one is ~$90, and most dealers don't have these things in stock. I got lucky and got an entire strut assembly off a car in a local junkyard for $20. For some reason that one popped right off.

Good luck.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:59 AM
Teching In

Highly recommend renting from Autozone. Their spring compressors worked best for me.

With Air compressor/impact wrench I did all 4 corners in my BMW in about 5 hours. Use glasses and point spring away.

This is kind of tool that you won't need anymore. Just like brake service kit for rear brakes...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where to buy spring compressors