Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Advice about self-darkening welding helmets

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Question Advice about self-darkening welding helmets

I'm new to welding. I've purchased a 110 - 20 mig welder, both flux-cored and gas capable. I'm strictly a hobbiest, and plan to use it for sheet metal (patch panels for my 72 GMC srpint), exhaust and minor fabrication. I've read alot about self-darkening welding helmets, and see that I can buy one for as little and $50 (ebay), or for $$hundereds. I've got a cheap fixed lens helmet now, and it's annoying at best, and dangerous at worst (like when I forgot to flip it down when striking an arc). I have several questions about them.

1 - I've seen just solar powered, battery powered, and solar with battery backup. I'll be doing most of my welding either in my garage or in the shade in my driveway. How would a regular solar-powered helmet perform under these lighting conditions? I've read somewhere that the solar powered get power to set the shade from the arc itself. What do you guys think about that?

2 - For the battery powered and battery backups, I've seen lithium and AAA battery power. The AAA are replaceable, but are the lithium's?

3 - Some of the more expesive helmets have mutiple sensors. For a hobbyist like me, is that important?

4 - I've read that the lens actually filters out the UV - so what does the darkening do?

Thanks
Old 10-01-2005, 04:45 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know all the specifics on those hoods but i do know i used one while building a 42 foot gooseneck....and i have nothing but good things to say about it! It made everything soooo much easier....and by the way this trailer was built in a shop so i was in darker conditions most of the time... i believe my helmet used AAA batteries.
Old 10-01-2005, 08:13 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what are your eyes worth to you? Get a good helmet...with a large view.

...worst feeling is having "sands of the sahara's"...long term damage can occur over mis-use. Stick with name brand components . Look at the lens speed, sensitivity control and don't overlook delay control!

Lithium batteries generally last typically ~3-5 years (temp dependant) but can be more expensive. Even AA batteries will last the general user quite long.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

With a single sensor, when your hand, the torch, the project somehow gets between the arc and the sensor, it causes the helmet to undarken. Not good in mid weld.
Old 10-02-2005, 03:54 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saftey equipment shouldnt matter if your hobbyist or pro go with the best My first helmet was a jackson shadow it had a huge view wasnt auto helmet but it tought me to deal with it.
Old 10-02-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Mine is a Jackson Next Gen
Old 10-03-2005, 09:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for your responses. It's tempting to buy the cheaper helmets, but this protects my eyesight, and I don't want to mess with that, so I'll go with a name brand. Does anyone have advice about the battery vs. solar, or battery + solar?
Old 10-03-2005, 09:52 AM
11 Second Club

another alternative is to buy yourself a cheap 15-25 dollar mask and go to a local welding store or supplier and buy the actual auto-darkening lens and install it on your mask yourself, it's a little bit less expensive than buying a name brand hood like hobarts or millers. works just as well you can get the lenses in sizes from 2x3 to 4x4 i believe,

Eddie
Old 10-04-2005, 04:38 AM
Staging Lane

It is true, you get what you pay for. However, if I ALWAYS bought the best gear, I would have less tools and less money

I have one of the cheap solar ones from ebay ($40??) It is cheap looking and a bit flimpsy, and the lens isn't huge, however it works well.
It is over 12 months old and has probably 50 + hours welding time. No complaints here.......

I did have a cheap battery one and that was a pita. Sometimes it would work, sometimes not. Had a few flash burns, not good.......think the batteries had a bad contact somewhere.

You are correct, solar means activated by the flash, so it works everytime, regardless of lighting conditions - unless you happen to block the sensor accidently.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've got a solar powered single shade non adjustable mask, and it actually works incredibly well. If you're blocking enough light to make it un-darken, you aren't going to be able to see what you're welding in the first place I would love to add adjustable shade (mine's a 13) because I need a pretty strong ambient light source to properly see the work.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mitchntx
Mine is a Jackson Next Gen
yeah, they are awesome!!!! a bit heavy compared to my old speedglas, but they have a big lens, and overall i like it a lot better......mine uses replaceable lithium batteries, although they make a similar one with AAA and solar assist.....
Old 10-04-2005, 04:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a solar-powered one and love it. I could never see what i was welding with the mask that came with my welder (the hand held one). I bought the solar-powered one and it makes it really easy to see what you are about to weld compared to the other ones.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:42 PM
TECH Regular

I have a hobart hood and it is solar it worked well for a few years but it finaly died. you just charge it once in the sun and then you are set. you can weld in the dark after that. just plan on this not being the last one you buy. as far as if I woule trade it for a plain helmet again. I can tell you that I am a much better welder today from using the auto darkening helmet. I now weld good with just a plain helmet. befor I had a auto darkening helmet I was a much poorer welder. It was too hard for me to start and stop where I needed to be causing me to be sloppy. A trick I use now is to relt use a bright light on my work. now when i weld the work is lit up bright and I can see my joints better. Works great!
Old 10-04-2005, 07:42 PM
TECH Veteran

I've got a Speedglas, variable shade, variable sensativity, large view area mask.

I used a standard 12 shade mask for a few years before this one.

Either will do the trick, but being able to see without flipping your lid rocks

The variable one is good for MIG and TIG, as well as the plasma cutter. I tend to run on a 9 shade for lower amp TIG, and 10 or 11 on aluminum. I use the default off shade of 5 for plasma.

You can block the sensors if your in a tight space or low amp mode, but w/ the variable sensativity you can make it dark all the time.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

i got mine at Harbor Freight for $60 and it works great, had it for 2 years now...9-13 adjustable shade darkening, 2 way adjustable response time, adjustable sensitivity
Old 10-04-2005, 10:52 PM
TECH Regular

I would look online for a Speedglas 9002X. It is the varible shade and is run on solar and battery power. It also has a large viewing area. I love the speedglas and would not go back to a standard helmet for anything.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, I ended up buying a Hobart Xli self darkening solar + battery powered. Should receive it this weekend and have fun using it - will get back to you all on how it works.

Quick Reply: Advice about self-darkening welding helmets