Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

where to get transmission rebuild tools and bench mount?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2005, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default where to get transmission rebuild tools and bench mount?

I'm looking to get all the tools needed to rebuild 700r4's and 4l60e's. I worked with a guy that bought the lip seal tools off snap on and he spent quite a bit. anyone know a good brand that is more reasonably priced. I also want to get a bench mount to hold the transmission. heres what I have found if anyone knows anything I'm leaving out or a better tool then please speak up.

http://www.transmissioncenter.net/Tools.htm

I'll probably get all the seal installers and low reverse spring compressor as well as the pump puller, and bushing driver from here. I'll have a list of the tools I need when I go through my automatic tranny class this spring but i know that someone thats done it recently on a 4l60e can give me an idea as far as what all I'll need so I can start buying the tools now.
Old 10-23-2005, 05:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cody
Might try Kent Moore tools. They deal a lot in specilty tools, for dealers ect.
Not sure where there web site is but here is a contact.
http://www.spxkentmoore.com/
Old 10-23-2005, 06:16 PM
TECH Resident

yeah I used to work in a dealership and used their transmission mount there. some of their tools are not that great and many are really pricey. I had kinda forgot about them making those tools because last time one of the techs bought a tool off them it cost $150 for a bolt,nut, and a little plate welded to it.
Old 10-23-2005, 07:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont bother with the bench stand, just get a water heater stand and drill a hole in it for the output shaft. Works like a champ. For the input shaft seal installation tool, I have one I can sell you. Its just sitting in the tool box
Old 10-23-2005, 11:39 PM
TECH Resident

water heater stand? never heard of that. I have heard of guys that took old transmission cases and used those. I prefer a bench stand simply because the amount of tranny work I'll do will make it pay for itself and because I can by pulling a pin turn the tranny upside and pull the valve body off. of course that type of stand also works on t-cases and rear axles as well. I'd have to see a picture of a water heater stand to know if I'd like using that or not. I guess you can say I'm a bit picky when it comes to tools but when you do the amount of work I do with them you want one that will work best for you and hopefully get it at a reasonable cost. I could make a Tranny holder if I just had the fixture that mounts to the bench it all depends on whats out there and what it costs. sometimes homeade tools work better than the high dollar ones do.

anyways, what'll you take on the input shaft seal installation tool?
Old 10-27-2005, 11:26 PM
Launching!

Default Trans Stand Fixture

Northern tool has a heavy duty trans fixture that fits into your engine stand.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...24&R=200008224
Old 10-28-2005, 06:24 PM
TECH Resident

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/...-000t0156b.htm

this is like the one i used at the dealership back when I worked there. pretty good price I may end up buying just the base and making my own but only if I could save enough to justify the work.
Old 10-30-2005, 09:09 AM
Teching In

I've seen bench mounted trans stands for sale on ebay. I don't pay attention to the final selling price, since I am not in the market for one. You might consider checking it out.

Quick Reply: where to get transmission rebuild tools and bench mount?