Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Gear Wrench brand wrenches

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 11:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Arrow Gear Wrench brand wrenches

Hey guys. Some of you may have gotten your crafsman 2006 catalog, and I was looking at the Gear Wrench wrenches in them. They have some REALLY nice looiking half moon and "S" ratcheting wrenches in there. They are some serious cash though - around 140/150 per set (4/5 wrenches each set). These could come in really handy though.

Only concern is that there is no mention of a warranty. How well does this brand hold up? I will get them if someone can vouch their first born on their quality!

Last edited by Grimes; 03-10-2006 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-11-2006, 07:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GearWrench is a subsidiary of Danaher, the same company that has Matco, Allen, Armstrong, KD Tools, Craftsman and others under its umbrella. I would expect that you may have to mail your broken tools back to them for warranty work. NAPA and Lowes sell GearWrench-branded tools... if you are in good with your local NAPA, they may even warranty them for you.

I have a bunch of GearWrench stuff (not the specific wrenches you have pictured, though). The GearWrench stuff is usually made in Taiwan or even China, but to Danaher specs. I am happy with the quality so far. I haven't broken anything and there are a slew of people who use these daily and swear by them.

Just FYI... I have read in a couple of places that the ratcheting mechanism in all of the gear wrench type wrenches is held under a Taiwanese patent. All of the ratcheting mechanisms come from Taiwan, regardless of brand name.
Old 03-11-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Addict

Wow, EXCELLENT post eschoendorff, thanks very much. Very interesting info on the taiwanese gearing.

Yeah - I just didn't want to spend the money and then if something broke, be SOL replacing it. Thanks man; I will call NAPA when I have the chance and ask them!
Old 03-11-2006, 12:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

I bought the gearwrench brand from sears and I broke one on the first nut I tried it on and took it back to sears, but since sears didn't sell the gearwrench brand individually, I would have had to send the entire set back to gearwrench to get the replacement.
so I complained and returned them for a refurnd and bought the craftsman brand since they sell those individually and replace them on site with no questions asked.
I had to replace my 15mm craftsman one when I was using it to break a nut loose (you aren't supposed to break nuts/bolts loose with these) and I didn't have a regular wrench handy. they swapped it out with no problems.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:22 AM
Teching In

Biggest time saving tool in my toolbox, I use them alot. I have never broken one, but I keep losing them, or even I hate to admit it leave it in the trunk of a customers motorcycle.

Though in the picture look better than mine cuz they appear to have the forward/reverse switch.. Mine dont you just turn the over to go opposite way which isnt a big deal.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was looking at those exact ones in the catalog too. I have the regualar reversible craftman ones now but didn't see a counterpart for these and was thinking about picking them up as well.

FWIW - don't waste your money on the flex head racheting craftman, they are bulkey, longer, and don't always hold the head angle in place. Almost electricuted me when I was takingthe negative off the battery and the mechanism failed and the wrenched swung down and arced/welded itself on the positive terminal. FUN!
Old 03-12-2006, 10:55 AM
Teching In

a few of mine tend to lock up. toss them on the floor and they are good to go
Old 03-12-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Addict

Cool, thanks for the comments guys. I also tried looking for a snap-on, matco, mac tools alternative, but all their websites totally suck....
Old 03-12-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Mac ratcheting wrench set

I use gear wrench wrenches, and have had them about a year and a half, and they're used all day, and have seemed to hold up good.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:31 PM
Launching!

One reason for failure I think is that you're not supposed to loosen tight bolts with these, at least that's what my package said, just break it loose then use them.

FWIW mine are holding up fine.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:12 PM
TECH Addict

Very nice, but I have one like that from craftsman. I just want some ratcheting obstruction wrenches to get to those really tough spots!

Originally Posted by 03NHSilvy
Mac ratcheting wrench set

I use gear wrench wrenches, and have had them about a year and a half, and they're used all day, and have seemed to hold up good.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

my 15mm Gear Wrench gear keeps fallin out and it's brand new
Old 03-24-2006, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine have been good so far. No problems.
Old 03-24-2006, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

They are lifetime replacement, if you have I local tool supply they will replace any broken ones. They are the same as the s and k
Old 03-26-2006, 09:37 AM
12 Second Club

I got mine from Sears and when I broke my 8mm & 10mm the sorry *** mangaer told me I'd have to send them in to get replaced. I tried arguing the fact that I had just spent over $1500 in tools from their store that he should just swap them out for me since i was planning on purchasing their Professinal series toolboxes, but he woulnd't budge. So I was telling my Matco dealer about this and he told me to get the wrenches and he would swap them out for me for no cost. About a 1/2yr later I purchased a Matco 7535 3-bay toolbox with a stainless steel top and cover for about $5000. I take a picture of me with the new toolbox and decided i wanted to go visit the manager at Sears just to **** with him. i show him the pics and he tells me he was just doing his job and so I tell him I'm doing mine and to go **** himself with crapman tools.
sorry about the rant guys but I had to

Quick Reply: Gear Wrench brand wrenches