Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

JB Weld?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2006, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default JB Weld?

Anyone ever use this stuff? I'm thinking about using it for the 1st time. I had a nut that was welded to the car and I broke the weld. I was thinking of just Jb welding the nut back in place and go from there. Will this work?
Old 03-23-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JBweld is a useful epoxy.

however, it is NOT a replacement for a actual weld... i would NOT JBweld a nut into place...

and yea, ive used the stuff alot... a whole lot. good stuff, when used properly.
Old 03-23-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I do not have access to a welder and the car is not drivable right now. Is there anything else I could use?
Old 03-23-2006, 12:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yup. I wouldn't recommend it for anywhere that takes stress or high heat. It's an epoxy with metal (or something) in it. Useful for sealing non-pressurized holes, attaching plastic parts, but nothing that would endure any sort of stress. I've used it successfully on a transmission case that had a hole in it (sealed it up), and my side mirror (I broke it off), and my timing chain cover on my LT1 car (electric waterpump removes the waterpump driveshaft, so gotta seal the hole somehow - JB Weld a quarter in there, fits perfect).

Just ask Madman about it. Apparently someone brought him a car that had a rollbar installed with the stuff...

Oops, posted right after you.

What is the nut for?
Old 03-23-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could drill a hole and use safety wire.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

when I get home tonight, I'll post up a pic so you guys can see my delimma.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, good to seal up holes and what not but nothing that takes stress. Tried doing it on a corner of the carburetor base plate. It was a no go. But I used it on a th400 i have to seal up a huge crack, problem solved.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:25 PM
On The Tree

Oh man... when I was in college, I used a high temp epoxy to seal up a nice crack in my car's radiator. Couldn't afford to get it fixed right, and damn if that didn't hold up like a champ! Drove the car for 3 more years.

I have also used JB Weld on compressed air fittings with good results. The stuff has a relatively high tensile strength. Just make sure that it is fully cured before putting it under any pressure.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok guys, here are picks of my situation.....

Here is my issue, here is where the nut should go...

Here is a picture of the nut with the freakin screw still stuck in it...

And here is what it supposed to look like..

What do you think???
Old 03-23-2006, 06:20 PM
Staging Lane

I had a dodge daytona turbo that blew a head gasket. The head gasket was blown between cylinders for so long that exhaust gasses ate away at the head making a channel in the head. Needless to say I put some JB Weld on the head and sanded it flat and slapped that mother back on. I was very suprised to find out the JB Weld held up for the 3 months I drove the car before I sold it.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

It looks like it won't pull through, right? It just popped loose, and fell out the backside?

I think JB weld would work to hold it in place, but it'd probably pull free if you have to put much torque on that bolt. It'd probably work OK, just clean the threads of the nut before and protect them from the JBWeld with some tape.

And let it dry for at least 2 days before trying it.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
It looks like it won't pull through, right? It just popped loose, and fell out the backside?

I think JB weld would work to hold it in place, but it'd probably pull free if you have to put much torque on that bolt. It'd probably work OK, just clean the threads of the nut before and protect them from the JBWeld with some tape.

And let it dry for at least 2 days before trying it.
Right now, I cant get the bolt out of the nut b/c they are different threads, hence my problem, and I didn't realize it until it was too late. If I can get the bolt out of the nut, I was thinking of JB welding the nut the the backside of the red piece, then screw the correct bolt in. If that doesn't work, I'll have to get something to weld in it place, I'm guessing. By the way, any suggestions on how to get the bolt out of the nut?
Old 03-23-2006, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

U may have cross threaded the bolt to the nut ... if thats the case... the nut may be useless
Old 03-24-2006, 12:50 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto.

If you used the wrong thread pitch, and blasted it in there, it's FUBAR.

You can tap it, and go from there though.

As for the JB Weld... It might work. You can't get to the other side correct? If I'm seeing this right, you have to slide the nut in the whole at an angle, then move it back over the hole?

As long as you don't overtighten the bolt, you may be fine with JB Weld. I'm thinking that it will be close, but hopefully the bolt will have created enough pressure one it's tightened to clamp that nut down (before the JB Weld breaks loose).

Problem is, the JB Weld doesn't have much to adhere to. That metal may be too smooth. If at all possible, try to scuff it up some. That may prove to be your problem. Definately let it sit awhile before you try to tighten it.

I hope it doesn't have to come back off!
Old 03-24-2006, 08:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

run a spare battery cable off the hot side of your battery to the nut then jam it in place and it will weld to the sheet metal in only 4-5 seconds. You need some welding shades if you want to watch it fuse or you'll burn your eyes. Also wet cell batteries generate flammable hydrogen gas so don't let any sparks fly over it and set it off.
Old 03-24-2006, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've contacted a few local welders who have said that they can help me and that it shouldn't be that bad...we shall see...
Old 03-24-2006, 09:22 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Here's what I would do.

JB weld a washer behind the mating surface, then JB weld the nut to that, now thread the bolt through and you're golden.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SS2win
run a spare battery cable off the hot side of your battery to the nut then jam it in place and it will weld to the sheet metal in only 4-5 seconds. You need some welding shades if you want to watch it fuse or you'll burn your eyes. Also wet cell batteries generate flammable hydrogen gas so don't let any sparks fly over it and set it off.
Okay, so far this sounds like the most fun option, although I think that The Alchemist's idea is more sane!
Old 03-24-2006, 06:26 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SS2win

In the process join the ranks of many other "darwin award" winners...
Old 03-24-2006, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol I would be so pissed If I bought a car and found JB weld anywhere near the motor

Quick Reply: JB Weld?