Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Any fabricators working on AC Comp relo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 02:52 AM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any fabricators working on AC Comp relo?

I know it can be done. It has to be able to be done, even if it requires using a different AC Compressor. I am looking at moving the comp up the where the factory mounts the EGR, top pass side. Possibly using a smaller compressor, from a Caddy also. Just looking to see if anyone here is working on this.

Charlie
Old 06-13-2006, 09:28 PM
Staging Lane

I am not working on it, but I have made brackets (cut steel and welded) for compressors before. It was to mount the old style "York" (Ford) A/C compressor on an engine for use as an air compressor. In fact there is one on my 80 GMC that is used for tires air tools etc. I also put them on an older Chevy pickup with a straight six, and on 4/6 cyl Jeeps for off-roaders. I made a bracket for an Nipponiese compressor when I put a homebuilt A/C system for on my 41 Chevy. If its going on anything other than a full sized truck you may have a problem finding room for it. After you find the room and fab your brackets, make damn sure it is lined up straight and parallel. If it is off the slightest little bit it will throw or eat the belts.
Old 06-15-2006, 12:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I don’t understand the question… make a bracket and go…

I’ve moved the AC compressor all around in my 3rd gen at one point, I’ve made brackets to mount alternators in a number of places on a bunch of cars, even spun them around backwards (pulley facing the engine) to make room on a ford. I made brackets to mount 2 compressors on my K1500 (the factory one + an old Chrysler that I’ve used for onboard air)…

Is there something more that you’re asking about besides making a bracket or 2?
Old 06-21-2006, 02:11 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You mean something like this https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ght=high+mount
I should probably be working on that right now instead of sitting here typing but oh well. At least I finally picked up aluminum, now I just have to figure out how to cut it.
John B. made a very similar setup for his monte and spaced for the f-body accy drive. Thats where I got the idea for the second tensioner. I`ll see if I can find a link.
Old 06-21-2006, 02:18 PM

Heres a link with pics of John B`s setup http://www.montecarloss.com/ls1montecarloss/June.html
Old 06-23-2006, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn it i need one of those , or something to mount my old radial style compressor like that off my 88 chevy to my ls1. i dont want to spend the money on the s&p setup..wonder if jon sells those..my accessory bracket setup is off a 6.0 truck but i dont think it matters.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:28 PM

Your using a truck bracket setup , The spacing between an f-body and truck is different. If you used a bracket like John B`s the pulley on the compressor would be 3/4" too far back. So far I have not seen any relocation brackets made to work with the truck accys. 5.3 Racer used a bracket off a 4.3L V6 with a R4 compressor to mount his R4 compressor, he had to change the idler wheel on it to one from a 4.6l mustang. I will post dimensions when I finnish my bracket. Right now I am just trying to figure out how to cut the half inch aluminum. I`m in the middle of moving and have no clue where my router is so thats out, I don`t have a bandsaw, I could borrow a handheld bandsaw but I no longer have a vice to hold the aluminum, I have a swazall but I don`t think that would be accurate enough. In reality even with a bandsaw I don`t think it would be perfect and I don`t have a disc sander to touch it up. . So I am kinda stuck until I figiure out how I want to try cutting it.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

G-Body-I'm confused. Are you doing this on an LS1 F-body or a truck?
Old 06-29-2006, 12:01 AM

The bracket that I am making is for a truck 5.3L, it is the one in my El Camino and I am mounting a 96 camaro v6 compressor on it.

CAT3 is looking to do a relocation on an f-body which would be like the bracket that John B. built.

Quick Reply: Any fabricators working on AC Comp relo?