Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Video: Autozone's Air Conditioning Systems

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2006, 01:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Video: Autozone's Air Conditioning Systems

I was in AZ yesterday getting some stuff for my 94Z, and saw this DVD for 7 bucks. Figured that (a) since I don't know much about air conditioning systems, and (b) I need to rework the A/C systems on a few cars I own, I'd pick it up and watch it. 7 bucks, what the heck.

Frankly, I thought it was pretty good. Worth the money. Shows all the parts, how they work together, and what pressure readings while doing diagnostics look like. Shows how to start up from an open system, and talks about the parts that need replacing. I knew a little about A/C systems before, but now I have a real good idea of where to start on getting my systems back up and running. Seems pretty straightforward now.

I give it 2 thumbs up. Production quality was decent, though it wasn't recorded in surround sound. Kinda reminded me of Sam and Dave's Shadetree Mechanic, only without the buddytalk and cussing.

Their demo vehicle was a Chevy pickup, looked like about a '96 model. They ended up replacing the compressor, the condensor, and the accumulator, as well as showing the orifice tube, how to clean out the evaporator, etc. Good stuff.

It ran right at an hour in length.

Last edited by Camaroholic; 06-24-2006 at 01:08 PM.
Old 06-24-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I might have to check it out. Heck, for 7 bucks, it's not bad at all considering it seems like it helped out just to get familiar with the system and all.
Old 06-24-2006, 09:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, I was about to just throw a new accumulator/dryer in my 94Z, pull a vacuum, and pump a few cans of R134a in it. Probably would have worked, but that's what I did last time, and it worked OK (just OK) for a while, and then started not working on me.

Now, I think I'm going to:

1) Replace all of the o-rings
2) Disassemble the lines and clean them out
3) Remove and drain the compressor of oil, and put new / fresh / the right amount of oil in there
4) Maybe put a new orifice tube / expansion valve assembly thing on there (it's $60+ tho). Heck, I didn't even know where it was on my 94Z... the video showed what it looked like, and I know exactly where / what it is now.
5) Pull a real good vacuum on it
6) Put a little flask of UV dye in the system before charging, for future troubleshooting assistance

I just wish I would have done this before I put the engine back in the car this past Thursday. I think I'll just get the motor running (the new 383), and then go through the A/C system one weekend.
Old 06-25-2006, 05:55 PM

Awesome. I need to have my system recharged after my cam swap. I removed the system for more room.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:37 AM
Staging Lane

Knowledge is power.... always good to learn stuff.... the $7 might help you save or make more down the road..
-=Rick
Old 06-28-2006, 01:53 AM
Teching In

::cough:: Rip it and upload it to video.ls1tech.com. ::cough::
Old 06-28-2006, 08:08 AM
12 Second Club

What was the actual name of the video? I wouldn't mind trying to find a copy.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

The full title is AutoZone AC Repair and Service, with Bruce Bonebrake (he also runs http://www.batauto.com ).

Sorry, no rippin' DVD's around here. If you're at all interested in A/C repair, though, even as an education to protect yourself when you have it serviced by a shop - it's worth the 7 bucks. I've certainly wasted far more money on far less beneficial items...

I looked around online, and couldn't find it. Found mention of it as "winning an award", but other than that, don't see it for sale.

Only one warning: if you can't stand the slogan "Get in the Zone... Au-to-zone!". DO NOT WATCH THIS VIDEO. It's repeated ad nauseum throughout.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

An orifice tube 60 bucks? Is it cast in platinum or something? They are more like 20'ish. I replace it every time I open the system.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:11 AM
Teching In

click here for direct link to the autozone dvd online

I'm going to get my copy after work today.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Brains
An orifice tube 60 bucks? Is it cast in platinum or something? They are more like 20'ish. I replace it every time I open the system.
Whatever the little rectangular aluminum part is that bolts to the box on the firewall, that the 2 A/C tubes screw in to. That part, on my 94Z, was 60 bucks.

I ordered my tools yesterday. I ordered a gauge set that'll do R134a and R12 (since my '93 Suburban is still running R12, the main A/C in it is starting to get a little weak (has had no maintenance in at least 4-5 years), and I have a couple of cans of R12 on the shelf ). I'm also thinking about using that R12 substitute in the Fiero (and not 134a) - and in the 79Z some day.

I also ordered the cleaner gun (has a bottle and an air nozzle to shoot the cleaning fluid through the system), a couple quarts of cleaning fluid, a schrader valve remover (though I have a couple, they're cheap, and I tend to misplace them ), a UV leak detector kit, and a green O-ring set. Spent a little over $200 on tools.

I'm just hoping I can go from 1 car (err truck) with mediocre A/C to 3 cars with decent A/C. Too dang hot in central Texas to go without...
Old 06-29-2006, 11:34 AM
Teching In

Thumbs up

I bought the video last night and just watched it during my lunch hour. Very good video and very informative. I deff recomend it.

I think you are thinking about the accumulator. That sounds like the part by the firewall.
Old 06-29-2006, 11:49 AM
TECH Senior Member

Cool, glad ya liked it.

Here's an (old) pic of my engine bay. #1 is the accumulator/dryer. #2 is the part I'm talking about. It's about 4" tall, 2" wide, 1" deep. Just a hunka aluminum with some 'stuff' in the middle. It bolts to something on the evap core area, and the hoses screw in to it.
Attached Thumbnails Video: Autozone's Air Conditioning Systems-engine.jpg  
Old 09-18-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Andrew,

I know this is an old post, but what you are referring to is called the expansion valve .

Ryan
Old 09-19-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Cool. Yah. One of those.

Just as an update, I did use the procedures outlined in that video, and my Fiero will flat out chill my a$$ now. Even with its 1985 R12 designed system, with 134a in there, it gets cold.

I flushed everything with the special A/C flush fluid really well, put it all back together with the green o-rings, new orifice tube, new accumulator, pulled a vacuum, and then put in the 134a. This was a month or so ago, still cooling well.

Still have to tackle the system in my 94Z. Same procedure will apply, though I may not flush the system as it isn't contaminated.

Quick Reply: Video: Autozone's Air Conditioning Systems