Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Enrolled in a TIG class at the local JC

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 08:08 PM
what a rush!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enrolled in a TIG class at the local JC

Been in school for 3 weeks now, got some training on different techniques, some history of GTAW, learned how to sharpen our tungsten, the do's and don'ts, basic machine operation (Miller 250 Syncrowave, Lincoln 255 Square Wave, Miller Dynasty) yada yada.

Laid my first pad of beads using a #6 cup, 3/32 tungsten (2% thoriated) on 1/8" steel plate, DC-, @ 100amps.

don't forget to turn ON the Argon!

here are some lap joints I did fusion welding, this was on our first night on lap joints. we had to square the corner instead of rounding it. bottom corner bead(on the metal stack, not the picture) was the first, top corner was the last.

this was later in the week:

this is from this last week, 6061 T6 1/8" aluminum plate, 5356 filler material, pad of beads using the Miller Dynasty & 2% tungsten

I know they aren't pretty but its a start

Last edited by moregrip; 07-15-2006 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-15-2006, 09:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd love to learn to weld. How much does a class like this cost? Are you doing this for fun or for a job?
Old 07-15-2006, 11:55 PM
what a rush!

I'm doing this to become more self sufficient with projects.

Total cost with parking permit was about $80 plus a $50 materials fee.
Old 07-16-2006, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's pretty sweet man. I was actually going to sign up for a welding class at my local college but decided not to for some reason. Looks like I'm missing out.
Old 07-16-2006, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

Wow thats cheap, I wonder if there is anything like that local that I could take.

Then I would only need $4000 for a good tig welder & gas
Old 07-16-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Boostaholic
Wow thats cheap, I wonder if there is anything like that local that I could take.

Then I would only need $4000 for a good tig welder & gas
Not true, you dont need to go out and buy a syncrowave 350 for your first welder. I actually just got a bigger unit. Lincoln 350 amp, with new cool mate, and new 275 amp torch. Its about 15 years old, but I only paid $1500 for it and it works great. For even an intermediate level welder you are not going to see the difference in alittle older machine, or a brand new one for $4K+. The bottle should run $250-$500 depending on what size you get.

Moregrip, looks good man. I am by no means the more pleasing tig welder to the eye, but you just get better the more rods you burn. To me, its the most enjoyable form of welding, and as you know, the most "artistic"

Brandon
Old 07-16-2006, 03:04 PM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by moregrip
I'm doing this to become more self sufficient with projects.

Total cost with parking permit was about $80 plus a $50 materials fee.
DIRT cheap!
Wanting to do something like that soon.
Old 07-16-2006, 03:49 PM
Teching In

I do a lot of TIG welding at work along with stick and MIG. Being that we have TIG capabilities I rarely want to go with the other processes because it's so much cleaner and so controllable. MIG is nice also depending on what job you're doing, but TIG really is the Cadillac of welding. I am currently saving so that I can have my own machine some day.
Old 07-16-2006, 04:24 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls

Moregrip, looks good man. I am by no means the more pleasing tig welder to the eye, but you just get better the more rods you burn. To me, its the most enjoyable form of welding, and as you know, the most "artistic"

Brandon
Thanks Brandon. with the heat wave we've had lately I have to take breaks every 45min or so even with the TIG process. I went through a stick(SMAW) class last year. For some reason MIG doesn't appeal to me as much as TIG and Stick though.
Old 07-21-2006, 05:30 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Machinist
I do a lot of TIG welding at work along with stick and MIG. Being that we have TIG capabilities I rarely want to go with the other processes because it's so much cleaner and so controllable. MIG is nice also depending on what job you're doing, but TIG really is the Cadillac of welding. I am currently saving so that I can have my own machine some day.
ya Once you tig weld you never want to pick up the nasty smokey stick welder.
Great job by the way, not bad looking beads, aluminum is so much fun to weld.At least when it clean that is, now trying to repair a 10 year old dump truck body full of blacktop and stuff that sucks.
Old 07-23-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

looking good man!i started welding 3 1/2 years ago, basically when i started my apprenticeship, and it's by far the saving grace of my job, i love doing it......and i'm with machinist, if its possible to tig it, that's what i use......learn how to walk the cup and you'll be laying down art gallery quality welds in no time.....
Old 08-07-2006, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Shoot, I just looked into taking a course like this myself here in Cypress. To take the TIG class you have to take 2 prerequisite classes. That sucks. All the classes are in the daytime too. That sucks even worse.
Old 08-07-2006, 08:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look great, I just looked into a class at the local CC here, and it doesn't look too expensive, I might have to give it a try.

Ryan
Old 08-07-2006, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Those welds look good. I have a certificate for sheet metal but took a bunch of tig classes, those welds look good. Have you welded before? I remember when i first started tig welding and my welds looked like ****.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:10 PM
10 Second Club

your doing what i used to do on the laps, your running the edge of the puddle into the metal on both sides which is good, but your doing it more like a weave. try and get them a little more convex and they will run in better and a smoother. always watch the puddle. you should work on starts and stops and try more tie ins instead of only stoping once or twice. and for the people who dont want to take the prerequsite class, take it you will benifit a lot from it. most places i think its stick1/2 with learning how to cut with a oxy acetline torch. the prerequisite classes wouldnt be there for no reason.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:15 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by moregrip
Thanks Brandon. with the heat wave we've had lately I have to take breaks every 45min or so even with the TIG process. I went through a stick(SMAW) class last year. For some reason MIG doesn't appeal to me as much as TIG and Stick though.
i used to hate mig welding till i learned how to do it properly and the the penetration was awesome and the bead looked good. most people dont know there are 3 types of mig welding, globular, short circit, and spray/pulsed welding.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:27 PM
Teching In

I am a fabricator and have been for quite some time. I am new to the site so as soon as i figure how to post pics i will post some of my micro tig beads. I work with custom motorcycles and cryogenics and pretty much every thing else. I love it and once you get good at welding start getting into fabrication it pays very well and its a blast. good luck.
Make sure you are sharpening your tungsten vertically to prevent swirling of your argon keep it as sharp as a needle( unless alum ). Also if you are not running high grade argon you will start getting porosity when you near the end of your tank, trust me its not worth fighting those damn bubbles on your stops just change the tank. This is exceptionally annoying when you use a turn table. If you do get bubbles just lower your heat gradually while making small circles around the bubble. When bubble pops simply increase your heat and allow to fuse add some metal to fill if need be or if working with pressure vessel. Always make sure your electrode is as close to the weld as possible a all times. This is one of the most precision applications in fabrication but once you get the hang of it its a blast. I can walk a bead straight up into the air it looks amazing from inside the helmet. Practice makes perfect and if you an artist you will find yourself around the learning curve faster than you thought possible.
Old 08-08-2006, 01:07 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by terr1bleone
i used to hate mig welding till i learned how to do it properly and the the penetration was awesome and the bead looked good. most people dont know there are 3 types of mig welding, globular, short circit, and spray/pulsed welding.
How do you do MIG properly? I have a flux-wire type.
I have an awesome auto-darkening helmet and love it... makes alot of difference
Old 08-08-2006, 07:17 PM
what a rush!

thanks for all the advice guys, appreciate it
Old 08-08-2006, 09:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

With a dynasty, I run 2% thoriated for everything and run a sharpened tip on everything. Getting the ball isnt necessary with todays technology and it is really an old welders (Wives) tale

Quick Reply: Enrolled in a TIG class at the local JC