Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

creating a ls1 oil pan PROPERLY, questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2006, 03:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default creating a ls1 oil pan PROPERLY, questions

i currently have a nissan 240sx i used a off the shelf "bolt on" kit to put a ls1 in i use for an scca pro series. anyways the time of year is coming where building a car for 2007 / sema is coming along and i was considering fabricating my own ls1 oil pan on the 07 car. here are some understandings, and questions i have.

- i understand the ls1 oil pan actually acts as structure for the block itself.

therefore, what type of aluminum should i use, how thick?

could i also use this thicker aluminum to make the flange for the bottom of the block, just run longer bolts if it is thicker than stock.

- oiling

i dont know if id like to do front or rear sump, but does the amount of oil in the sump have to do with proper oiling at all? my current setup you have to notch the subframe (illegal next year) to make the stock gto oil pan clear. if i make a new pan i can make it fit closer to the subframe in some places, but move stuff around so that i can keep oiling capacity if needed, but i am usure of the proper way to go about this, or if the sump has anything to do with anything other than purely a place to pickup oil, therefore the amount doesnt really matter, as long as tehre is a good amount there.

also as far as proper oil to run, i am just going to fill my stock oil pan up, subtract that from the normal amount of oil i run, and when the new pan is done, measure it full, and add to original amount

n = new oil pan filled to top
0= old oil pan filled to top
a = amount of oil normally used in ls1
a-0+n=proper amount of oil to run with new pan.

-improving pan design

is there any pimpy designs/baffles/traps i can add to keep my car happy as far as oiling? it sees a lot of actoin that throws oil around, drifting, auto-x, road racing, all kinds of stuff, and if theres any advice anyone has or tricks of the trade with fabbing oil pans that yall wouldnt mind passing along that would be great

sorry for the dumb q's, but skimping out on making sure i do everything right on my oil pan could easily = blown motor, and i cant really afford that.

thanks in advance.
Old 07-30-2006, 03:20 PM
TECH Resident

also past the stages of tac welding i will not be welding this. im quite sure the strength of the welds is critical pertaining to a ls1 fabbed oil pan. correct?
Old 08-03-2006, 04:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the welds will never be as strong as the base metal in aluminum, so I would size things to be roughly 60-100% thicker then the stock casting assuming a similar design. Of course, that can be made up for with ribbing and other reinforcements, but that is up to you knowing what you’re doing there.

As far as baffles and shape… a lot of that depends on the space you have to fit it in and the intended application. The few times I got stuck doing a custom pan it’s pretty much always been dictated by the room that I had to put it in.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Canton has an LS1 pan... Might get some ideas from it.

http://www.cantonracingproducts.com/...reetstrip.html

I'd think the most important parts of the pan are the rails, and the rear where the bellhousing bolts up - those would need to be the sturdiest and most 'square'.

Quick Reply: creating a ls1 oil pan PROPERLY, questions