Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

QUALITY: Matco vs SnapOn

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2006, 08:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 03NHSilvy
I know you'd like to stick with one, but my honest opinion is Snappy is better for some tools, where Matco is better for others. The biggest thing I choose Matco for is swivel impact sockets. SO uses a balljoint design with a pin through the middle as a pivot. Matco also has a balljoint design, but in place of the pin, the ball has notches cut into it that the outer part of the socket engauges. I know it isn't a good description, but thats the best I can do, you really need to look at one to see what I mean I guess. Ratchets both are pretty good, I have some of both, like them all and price was the deciding factor on those. Sockets and wrenchs I'd choose Snap On, they're more money but they're less likely to round off a bolt, and are better at removeing rounded off ones after the fact (though IMO the new Mac Edge sockets and wrenchs are better than both SO and Matco). Extensions I have Matco, mostly because I got a deal on them, but I'd say to try and buy all ratchets, extensions and sockets from the same guy because my Matco extensions don't hold on to some of my other brand sockets very well. Almost all my air tools are Mac, and they all do a great job with the exception of my 1/2" impact, its broken twice (same prob) in a year and I now have the IR titanium gum rebadged as a Matco, which has a ton of power. I like the Mac air tools because they seem to have just as much power as anyone elses, but they are quiet, which is a big benefit IMO when your using them all day. Only other 2 air tools that aren't Mac are my air hammer and 3" cutoff wheel, both Matco, and they have served me well. One bit of advice on a cutoff wheel, get one that is reverseable. It may not seem like a big deal, but its nice to be able to direct the stream of sparks and metal booger away from you when your in a tight spot. If you hold up any of my work shirts to a light, you see light streaming in from tons of little holes made from grinding haha. I've yet to snap any of my matco impacts yet however.
agree 100%
it is never good to buy one kind of tools, piece it together, cheapest, best quality and you will be much happier

Quick Reply: QUALITY: Matco vs SnapOn