Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Any way for a regular Joe to get discounts on SO/Mac/Matco

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2006, 09:41 AM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any way for a regular Joe to get discounts on SO/Mac/Matco

Like the title says. Right now I have alot of Harbour Freight stuff that I had to buy in order to do some work on my truck and owuld like to start replacing it with "good" stuff and damn theyare expensive
Old 09-13-2006, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

Those manufacturers don't really give discounts. The only "discounted" stuff is in their monthly flyers. And you might get $10 off of something. If you want the best, you have to pay for it. It's unfortunate.....but I feel your pain. I turn wrenches for a living.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

As a fellow regular joe, I'll stick with the Sears sales on Craftsman stuff. My socket set has been with me for 13+ years or so, and it's turned TONS of bolts.

I don't pay regular price unless I need a tool *now*. Sears usually has good deals when they put their stuff on clearance. I got a 30-or so piece Craftsman screwdriver set for like $25 recently. They're not the best screwdrivers, but for under a buck a piece you can't do better. A 3-piece set of the big prybars for like $19. Watch the sales at Sears.com and you'll do well.

I love a well built SnapOn, Mac, Matco, etc tool. But the tool truck guys are too much $$ for me.
Old 09-13-2006, 12:53 PM
10 Second Club + 14 Second Truck Club

some trade schools have a snap-on - mac section in their school stores. one here locally does, have a friend that goes there pick up some stuff for you they sell for very cheap and can usually order in anything you want. i got a bunch of snap-on stuff that way for cheap.
Old 09-13-2006, 05:39 PM

Most of my stuff is craftsman too as far as sockets are concerned. I bought their 4XX piece set a while back. I also bought a the LS1 SO 1/4 ratchet(I love that thing), the matco(or mac cant remember right now) gearless ratchet and various other odd and end things. I mainly want to get the stuff to build my motors, you get what oyu pay for as far as precision tools are concerned. I also wanted to get a tool box form one of the big three eventually but I cant justify 4K for the ones that I want. Ill probably end up with the 1K one from Costco(which is nice). Guess Ill save my lunch money for the few things I need to get from them
Old 09-13-2006, 05:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Id check Ebay theres so much Snap On stuff on their its rediclious...Second be patient I have spend 5 years building my tool collection Which is 90% Snap On and the other 10 mac dewalt and some speciality stuff...I have a Snap ON credit account which isnt the best thing but it allows you to grow your collection pretty quickly I buy atleast 2 things a week....
Old 09-13-2006, 05:50 PM

I just want my tools NOW

Im only 20 so I got a ways to go, it would just be nice to have nice tools since I do all my own work. I did pick up a 3/8s SO digi tq wrench from a pawn shop for 180 bucks, looks brand new
Old 09-13-2006, 10:07 PM
Teching In

I'm with Camaroholic. I turn wrenches as part of a hobby. For me, Craftsman is as good as it gets and I can't say I'm disappointed. I have used the more expensive brands but honestly I don't see enough of a difference to justify paying 2-3x more for a tool. If I were doing this for a living maybe my view would be different.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

the only real way to get discounts is to spend money with the tool guys. I've not had much luck getting Snap On to do this, but both my Mac and Matco guys will give me a good deal on stuff, esp. Matco since I've bought my toolbox from him . And its not just a few bucks either. I got my impact gun that sells for like $370 off his truck for $300- all you gotta do is drop $4000 on a toolbox!
Old 09-18-2006, 07:20 PM
Staging Lane

For most stuff, I use Craftsman, but there's just some things that they don't offer. (They just discontinued their brand of 12point flex sockets, for example). For that stuff, check e-bay. There are a lot of people wanting top dollar for Snap-on, but if you're patient, you can get some good deals. (I just bought a set of lightly used 12 point 3/8 drive Snap-On flex sockets for $50. Retail is 400+).
Old 09-18-2006, 08:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

I forgot to mention, when I *needed* something from Snap On, I have been able to run down the local truck guy a few times. Find his number, call him up, and ask "where you at?". He had no problem taking my money.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll sell you my box and everything in it shipped to your door for 15 grand....deffently have a damn nice set...75% are brand new and have never been used... what can I say im an impulse buyer....
Old 09-18-2006, 11:35 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by antz01ta
some trade schools have a snap-on - mac section in their school stores. one here locally does, have a friend that goes there pick up some stuff for you they sell for very cheap and can usually order in anything you want. i got a bunch of snap-on stuff that way for cheap.
I think thats about the only way. A few of my buddies go to an auto tech school and get a good deal on snap on. Im going to have one pick up a lot of things for me.
Old 09-20-2006, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Here where I go to school the Snap-On discount is a joke. They had like 30 items at a "discounted" price. I love their tools, but that was an insult. Matco has a great discount online for VoTech students, like 40 or 50%, I don't think you can go wrong with their stuff. SK also does a good discount. I don't think anyone makes better tools than SK anyway, there stuff is awesome, just as good or better than Snappy any day. The only disadvantage there is (atleast here) SK doesn't have a tool truck, so replacing their stuff is sort of tricky.

Quick Reply: Any way for a regular Joe to get discounts on SO/Mac/Matco