Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

durometer pyrometer tire pressure gauge guidance please

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default durometer pyrometer tire pressure gauge guidance please

I am looking to buy decent quality stuff. It looks like I am looking at about $300 for all three. Will I notice a difference if I spend $450-$500?

I know jack doodle about durometers except they measure hardness. For my application I am wanting to measure baseline @ inner edge, middle of tread and outer edge. 6,000 miles (2 months) later I want to take the durometer off the shelf, measure all three areas of all four tires again, and have confidence in my data.

For the tire pressure gauge I am looking for something good enough to bother calibrating annually. The shop that services my scuba gear can do that. I want this gauge to live on a shelf in the garage. I already have a cheap tire pressure gauge in the car with me that takes every bump. I figure I can get the good gauge out every once in a while to see how the cheap gauge is doing.

For the pyrometer I am going to go with a laser/infra-red unit to start and might pick up a probe type later. For one thing I am going to go nuts with the thing, machine gun style. I'll probably run through three or four 9 volt batteries the first week I have it.

Is it worth the extra dough to get the 'last twelve readings' memory option on the pyrometer? I am kinding of thinking I should get that so I can measure all three areas of all four tires in the shortest possible amount of time.

Thanks for anything you have to contribute, I don't have the experience to compare Longacre to BrandX to Intercomp.

Scott
Old 09-10-2006, 02:29 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Longacre

Get their mechanical durometer and tire pressure gauge. If you go with a digital tire temp guy, infrared or probe type as long as the date you work with is the same across the board. Dont mix tire data from a probe and a IR gun.