Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Snap on welding helmets....

Old 09-23-2006, 03:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Snap on welding helmets....

I need to buy a new autodarking helmet for my new job.. I have used a Jackson and speedglass helmets in the past and was wondering how the Snap On pn YA595 compares to the others I want to put this on my Snap on credit account right now because I dont have and extra 400 bucks sitting around... feed back...please
Old 09-24-2006, 12:45 AM
ЯєŧąяĐ Єl¡m¡иąŧøя ™

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They are nice, but if you weld ALOT, I would get a cheaper one. I worked at a shop with a few people who got the home depot auto darkening hoods and they would last for a while with periodic welding. One of them got one of the bad *** ones from snap-on and he was afraid to use it practically. Looked cool though.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You might also want to check out Miller they have some nice autos that work pretty well and a little cheaper to.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:26 PM
Banned

i've used the snap ons and the millers. there isn't a difference really other then the looks. right now i have a miller elite. it has a bigger lense so you can see more. you can pick them up off ebay for 250 shipped. not sure how much the snap ons run. also when you buy a miller they give you 5 extra sets of lenses.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

I wish there was someplace that I could test drive a few… I’ve had issues with auto darkening helmets before (usually I can see the flash when the arc is struck) and keep wondering if I just need to spend money on the right $$$ one…
Old 10-20-2006, 03:06 AM
Banned

the only time i have problems with myn is when the sun is shinning behind me and i can't see anything. auto darkenings don't work very well outside, thats the only bad thing about them.
Old 10-20-2006, 01:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by michaelsvt03
the only time i have problems with myn is when the sun is shinning behind me and i can't see anything. auto darkenings don't work very well outside, thats the only bad thing about them.
That's funny you say that because I would always use my auto darkening outside . But my car was in some shade. I bought mine at tractor supply company, it was around 80 or so bucks. I never weld a whole lot so I wouldn't be able to tell you how long it lasts but it worked for me and I never had a problem with it.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 69chevy
That's funny you say that because I would always use my auto darkening outside . But my car was in some shade. I bought mine at tractor supply company, it was around 80 or so bucks. I never weld a whole lot so I wouldn't be able to tell you how long it lasts but it worked for me and I never had a problem with it.
in shade is ok it is when the sun is hitting. but they last a really long time. i have had my miller elite for a year now and haven't had to change the battery yet and i use it 30 plus hours a week. something else you can do when outside and it is darkening on you before you start welding is put a rag on the back of your head.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Resident

I ended up with a MAc one I know its not made by mac but it resembles a Jackson... I bought it because the team I work for is on a 40% off deal with Mac.. i have used it everyday and it works really well...
Old 10-20-2006, 06:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by michaelsvt03
in shade is ok it is when the sun is hitting. but they last a really long time. i have had my miller elite for a year now and haven't had to change the battery yet and i use it 30 plus hours a week. something else you can do when outside and it is darkening on you before you start welding is put a rag on the back of your head.
Yeah, when the sun hits it, I don't even bother trying it. The rag is a pretty good idea, i'll have to try it.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a Jackson NextGen .. what a great hat ...
Old 10-22-2006, 05:42 PM
Need More N2O Mod

i have the miller with the big auto lense and its awsome.
Old 10-22-2006, 08:52 PM
Staging Lane

I bought two solar powered ones about two years ago. (I can't recall the brand but they were on sale for about $125 each at National Welding)We do a lot of repair type welding, and much of it is out side. I have never seen very much of a flash when starting a bead. A head rag or bandanna drapped over the top takes care of the sunligh behind you. Even though these are solar powered, they also have a battery. I haven't had to change the battery's yet.

One halmet got left outside over a long weekend in the rain. When I found it it had a couple of inches of water setting itn it. I don't think it is water proof. It didn't work reliabily the last time I tried it, just occasionally, so I put it up to dr completely out. I guess I need to check it again.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Snap on welding helmets....