Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

bridgeport mill

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default bridgeport mill

so at the base hobby shop i noticed we have a bridgeport mill. so i ask the guy if we need our own cutter and what the deal was. he told me i couldnt use it unless i had some sort of certification since it's such an expensive machine he doesnt want me to burn it up. is there a cert i can get or is he full of it? just looking at the machine it seems like the only thing i'm going to mess up is the stuff i plan on milling since it has handles galore. we also have a lathe too and so i cant see having these tools at my disposal and never using them.

oh and as for what i'd be using them for. i need to machine down my injector bosses on my intake and i might make some nitrous plates
Old 11-14-2006, 08:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless your a total idiot you'd have a hard time hurting the machine itself, You will wreck some tooling and maybe your work peice along the way but you'll get the hang of it..As long as you dont run anything into the vice or try to mess with certian features on the machine like power feed. I started running machiney at my first job when I was 15 dont tell OSHIT I mean OSHA. I can belive that uncle sam wants you to take some 1950's based test. Your more likley to hurt yourself or themachine working on a lathe.. run a boring bar into a 4 jaw and you'll see what happens..not that I'd know.Ask the dude what you can do and dont settel for some BS im to lazy excuse...
Old 11-14-2006, 09:02 PM
On The Tree

got quite a few of those at work they are pretty much bullet proof, a very tough and handy machine
Old 11-15-2006, 04:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default re

you will hurt your self befor one of those machines ever seen a machinist wraped up in his lathe?
Old 11-15-2006, 07:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol no i havnt but once when i was ten i saw a finger get ripped off by a bench grinder
Old 11-22-2006, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

the only cert you would need is one if your shop made one up and has some kind of safety program. Other than that its a big glorified drill press. Just make sure your part is fastend down good, bolted to the table not in a vise. And start out machining real slow untill you know how fast you can safely go without the tooling chattering. There really isnt much of a science behind it...more common sence.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:07 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
the only cert you would need is one if your shop made one up and has some kind of safety program. Other than that its a big glorified drill press. Just make sure your part is fastend down good, bolted to the table not in a vise. And start out machining real slow untill you know how fast you can safely go without the tooling chattering. There really isnt much of a science behind it...more common sence.
.........and don't make those big hog cuts. It's better to take smaller amounts at a time. It'll take a little longer, but it could turn a piece into a projectile, and it's not pretty. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: bridgeport mill