Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

looking to buy a hydraulic car lift 4 home

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 09:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default looking to buy a hydraulic car lift 4 home

I'm looking for a used or new 2 post lift. I know some of you own or work with them so i need some of your experience.

I hear the Asymmetrical column orientation is go so you can easily open the doors. The Symmetrical column orientation I have no info on. I'll go with the clear floor design.

I don't know which brand to go with, I'm guessing Bend-Pak, is a good one i see it in allot of dealers. Or if you have one to sell, I'm in California Los Angeles area.

Input is greatly appreciated.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:38 PM
TECH Addict

This topic has been discussed on the corvette forum, you may want to look over there.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wish the ceiling in my garage weren't 10 feet or I'd definately have one
Old 11-17-2006, 09:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

The lift I have is a Gemini GP-9F (link here in archive.org). The Gemini web site at http://www.geminilift.com has a broken page right now.

Anyhow, the posts are only 9 ft tall, but it has a floor plate. My ceiling was too low to get a full height overhead cable lift installed. This one came up used (bought it from Nitro Dave when he shut down his speed shop). I love it. It's a bit of a pain when pulling a transmission, but there's no problem on anything else. I do have a 6" slab.

I'd look on Craigslist, I see them pop up around here pretty frequently. I paid someone to install it, it was worth every penny. What would have taken me all day, took him about an hour.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
The lift I have is a Gemini GP-9F (link here in archive.org). The Gemini web site at http://www.geminilift.com has a broken page right now.

Anyhow, the posts are only 9 ft tall, but it has a floor plate. My ceiling was too low to get a full height overhead cable lift installed. This one came up used (bought it from Nitro Dave when he shut down his speed shop). I love it. It's a bit of a pain when pulling a transmission, but there's no problem on anything else. I do have a 6" slab.

I'd look on Craigslist, I see them pop up around here pretty frequently. I paid someone to install it, it was worth every penny. What would have taken me all day, took him about an hour.
How much was the install if you don't mind me asking
Old 11-17-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

It wasn't cheap. I paid the guy $300 cash. He delivered the lift to my house, supplied the concrete anchors (a box is ~$25), and he had the big hammer drill. He set it all up, leveled / shimmed it, got it working, adjusted the safety stops, and was out the door in a little over an hour. To me it was worth it, I didn't get an instruction manual with it, and I wouldn't have had the ideas to shim it to level or the ability to adjust the safety stops. It's worked flawlessly since install.

I ran the electrical myself (some 10 ga wire).
Old 11-18-2006, 09:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just installed a Direct Lift #9,000 2 post lift from Greg Smith Equipment. It's asymmetric, so the arms are set up so you can open the doors. This sets the vehicle slightly offset to the rear. It's working great, and was easy to install. Sure beats rolling around on the floor!! Bend-Pak is a good lift, but a little pricy. Do a Google search, or look on e-bay, there's TONS on there.

Quick Reply: looking to buy a hydraulic car lift 4 home