Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

What Snap-On Tools To Get

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 08:53 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I live in Mooresville, NC which is in the middle of all racing pretty much. I'd like to get into NASCAR but the other forms of racing seem cool to. My roommate works for a road racing team that races the Daytona Prototypes and that seems like it would be a fun form a racing to be in also. But I have been talking with an ARCA team so if all else fails I will try and get on there in a few weeks. But yeah from everyone I have talked to seem to really like it and would never go back to a normal full-time job so we will see what happens i guess.
Old 01-25-2007, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll tell you what ya need for working in racing as far as tools go... First dont wate your money on a big box 90% of shops either give you a box or have size requirements.... some teams wont even let you bring in your own tools.. a nice roll around 3 or 4 drawer cart works best....
First I would get a a couple of nice torque wrenches 1/2 3/8 and 3/8 inch pounds
Second I would get all 12 point sockets especially if your going to work on a sports car team.. 2 sets of end wrenches a set of Martin "bonney wrenches" for AN lines there forged steel rather than alum line wrenches that wear out. Get about 5 1/8 inch t handles a few 5/32 and a 1/4 or 2 I say this because almost every thing on a car as far as buttonheads or cap screws is this size...a nice battery impact 1/2 drive as well as 3/8 lots of air tools like drills die grinders no air ratchets most shops dont like them...
I'll add more as i think of it
Old 01-25-2007, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DrivenWS6
What are some of the best cordless impacts? I have used makita before which seem to work fine. Are snap ons one of the best?
Snap-on seems to have the most torque at 550 ft lbs. Most others are in the 325 - 350 ft lb range.
Old 01-25-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

scroll down a bit, to a post by jucied, if you already havent done so. Some good input there.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteStripes
If you really want, you can pick up one of their Tech-wrenches. It's their all digital compound angle doing crazy all in one torque wrench. .
good call.
This is the one of the best tools I have bought
saves alot of time with torque-to-yield bolts
does ft-lbs/nm/in-lbs/degrees
http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog
Old 01-26-2007, 12:09 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CTSmechanic
I'll tell you what ya need for working in racing as far as tools go... First dont wate your money on a big box 90% of shops either give you a box or have size requirements.... some teams wont even let you bring in your own tools.. a nice roll around 3 or 4 drawer cart works best....
First I would get a a couple of nice torque wrenches 1/2 3/8 and 3/8 inch pounds
Second I would get all 12 point sockets especially if your going to work on a sports car team.. 2 sets of end wrenches a set of Martin "bonney wrenches" for AN lines there forged steel rather than alum line wrenches that wear out. Get about 5 1/8 inch t handles a few 5/32 and a 1/4 or 2 I say this because almost every thing on a car as far as buttonheads or cap screws is this size...a nice battery impact 1/2 drive as well as 3/8 lots of air tools like drills die grinders no air ratchets most shops dont like them...
I'll add more as i think of it
The last few time I was in North Carolina, when I was looking at the engines on the showrooms, I saw that the bolt heads were 12 points. Is this the case for all the stuff on the cars? So do you need the 12 point sockets in metric and U.S.? I didn't buy any air tools, I just have a Snap-on 1/2" 18V Impact Wrench, and I'm getting the 3/8" gun soon. Do they stay away from air tools such as the guns and air ratchets?

Thanks
Old 01-28-2007, 09:53 PM
Launching!

I'd definitely recommend snapon screwdrivers. I had a set of Mac screw drivers that tended to strip the heads on phillips screws. Never have that issue now with Snap on screwdrivers. As far as sockets, any of the major brands are good, and all have a lifetime warranty. Wrenches I wouldnt spend a fortune on. I bought Snapons largest Metric set(8-36mm), which listed at $1400, but I got it 50% off. Its a nice set but I wouldve probably done fine buying the same set from SK for $260. Starting out toolboxes shouldnt be a priority but I have to say Im most impressed with Matco's build quality. Thats coming from someone who's owned a Snap on box and now has a Mac double bay Macsmizer. As far as airtools Ingersol Rand is probably the best for the money, although at discount most of the major tool company's are pretty close in price. I have a 12v Makita electric impact for smaller stuff and Snapons 18v(350ft/lbs) for larger items. Not really necessary if you have access to compressed air, but it does come in handy.

As far as specialty tools youll come to learn that most sets are manufactured by one company, and each tool company slaps a sticker with their name on it and doubles the price. If you look online you can find those same sets from the original manufacturer at a lower price. Some of the sites I've found the most useful are www.thetoolwarehouse.net , www.tooltopia.com and www.cpomakita.com. You can even go to amazon.com and search under their tool section to find sites with the lowest price.

Hope that helps
Old 01-29-2007, 01:55 AM
Launching!

buy every wrench, socket and ratchet you can afford

and some specialty tools too
Old 01-31-2007, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DrivenWS6
What do you guys think about the craftsman tool kits. I could get like a 400pc kit for around 1k. that seems like a pretty good deal to me. But if their tools arent worth it I dont want to get that many of em. I just figured it would be a good start And I think I will go with the Dewalt or IR cordless impact. And as far as snap on goes i think I will get some of their semi-deep sockets and the techwrench and some other stuff. Do you think a 56" 10drawer Cornwell roll cab will be good enough to get started?
Dude I am impressed. The craftsman tools are very good and that is what you should start out with. It takes years to collect all of the tools you will need and you will spend a fortune doing it. Don't try to keep up with the guy who spends the most money on tools, he is usually the worst mechanic one of my ex had over $75,000. I own a shop and have 4 master mechanics and they have all sorts of brands of tool and they don't care if it is a mac, mat, snap, or craftsman. All of the kids I hire think it is important etc... I could go on and on.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Resident

Buy Snapon ratchets and wrenchs...sockets i use craftsman..
Old 02-03-2007, 03:38 PM
12 Second Club

im not going to read through all these posts, but i hate snap on. i have broken so many of their tools. of my 200+craftsman sockets and my 10-15 snap on sockets, i have broken more snap on than craftsman.
same goes for screw drivers. ive warrantied more snap on than craftsman, but i do have more snap on screw drivers.
one thing i do like of snap on is their extentions. they have sets that are wobble and straight. they are really cool.
but my tools of choice are Mac. it may be the salesman that comes to my shop, but thats the only tool i buy now.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:24 PM
Launching!

the only advise i can tell u is to buy a big craftsmen or husky tool box. u will be upgradeing in 2 years any way. then u can take the smaller one home.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:16 PM
On The Tree

snap-on zero off set wrenches FTW. Sockets i have C-man and Matco, i broke my matco 3/8 sockets so much they up graded me to impact sockets for free (chrome sockets + snap-on 3 inch 1/2 to 3/8 reducer owns sockets) they are taint sockets, you know they taint short taint deep lol. for a box i have a Matco, i like it better than C-man and those junk snap-on boxes. Kipix (sp?) has a bad *** set of side cuts that are 10 inches long and will cut just about anything you will ever see on a car. snap-on screw driver are the best and so is there cotter pin remover. Sears sells a C-man 1/2 inch impact thats made by IR and its only $170 and has a 2 year warranty, i've had mine for over 6 years and never had a problem.
Old 02-23-2007, 08:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My .02 but i would get a good starter set from snap on heres a link to the one that i would most likely buy

and i would definetly buy a set of the trim tools they offer.... they make interiors sooooo much easier

forgot to mention they the other guys said the box would have to be matco
Old 02-23-2007, 03:15 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BaddillaK
My .02 but i would get a good starter set from snap on heres a link to the one that i would most likely buy

and i would definetly buy a set of the trim tools they offer.... they make interiors sooooo much easier

forgot to mention they the other guys said the box would have to be matco
Geez.... you sure don't get much for $3k
Old 02-26-2007, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^ yea but if your getting it for half price you do pretty good.... I worked with snap on for about 5 years at a shop that supplied all the tools, and now when I work on my own stuff at the house with Craftsman I just notice how much better the snap on tools were, and how much i miss them
Old 03-25-2007, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

dont buy a test light from them cause i got one and it has the extra long lime green flex cord and it blows bulbs all the time

Quick Reply: What Snap-On Tools To Get