Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

MIG Flux Core for SFC's

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 06:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MikeGyver
Ok, I guess I'm the only one. What's an SFC? And while I'm on the subject, what is an NDT?
OK, guys, keep it amongst yourselves. I'm sorry I tried to butt in. Besides, only an idiot wouldn't know what an SFC is, right?
Old 02-28-2007, 08:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sub Frame Connector. Happy?
Old 02-28-2007, 09:23 PM
TECH Addict

Just trying to learn all that I can here. Thanks. I hope your typing fingers are ok. And to pay you back for your help,
Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
...There is no benefit using flux core vs. solid with shielding gas.
There is one benefit, I don't know if it has been discussed on this forum, and that is using flux core with shielding gas, for working outside in the breeze.

Last edited by MikeGyver; 02-28-2007 at 09:32 PM.
Old 03-01-2007, 06:25 PM
TECH Addict

Just trying to learn all that I can here. Thanks. I hope your typing fingers are ok. And to pay you back for your help, There is one benefit, I don't know if it has been discussed on this forum, and that is using flux core with shielding gas, for working outside in the breeze.
Why? Unless you are in some sort of serious windstorm you arent going to get anything from it. A 15-20 mph wind is fine for flux core. Here in my area winds are constantly in the 25 mph range. Flux core and arc rod work just fine in it.
Old 03-01-2007, 07:51 PM
On The Tree

Flux Core would work fine for weld-in style SFC's. You can make high quality welds in all positions, the puddle is easy to control, and it has good penetration. Little pre cleaning is required with fluxe core, so you could weld in pieces that were just cut without cleaning off any mill scale. Flux core is more of a dirty type of welding with all the spatter and slag. It's used more for heavty duty welding like construction or farm equipment repair, thats why you dont see it in auto shops very much.
I would much rather weld the SFC's with MIG if i was in your postion, but FCAW would work just fine.

hope this helps
-Daniel

Last edited by Nitrous fed SS; 03-01-2007 at 07:56 PM.
Old 03-03-2007, 12:04 AM
TECH Resident

Just trying to learn all that I can here. Thanks. I hope your typing fingers are ok. And to pay you back for your help, There is one benefit, I don't know if it has been discussed on this forum, and that is using flux core with shielding gas, for working outside in the breeze.

you cant run both flux and a shielding gas because you must change the polarities of the current, ie: negative and positive.
Old 03-06-2007, 11:05 AM
11 Second Club

Ok, I guess I'm the only one. What's an SFC? And while I'm on the subject, what is an NDT?
SFC= Subframe connectors. NDT= Non Destructive Testing. Its done with X-Ray, eddy current or ultrasound. NDT (in this case) is used to look for flaws in a critical weld.

Mec
Old 03-07-2007, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by boondiggys
you cant run both flux and a shielding gas because you must change the polarities of the current, ie: negative and positive.
You don't have to change polarities. Just weld like normal with the flux core wire, but have the gas open and shielding it.

It does improve the weld quality of flux-cored wire, but it's still not as nice (in my opinion) as solid wire.

Ben T.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have never been able to weld sheet metal with flux cored
and barely with MIG. MIG is going to have less penetration
which you want for the places where you might weld SFC
tabs to the floor pan etc. Flux cored does not have the
heat removal of the shielding gas so you have to be more
careful not to blow through. I'd practice a lot on similar
gauge materials, before putting it to my car.

If you have a lot of spatter try putting a few layers of
masking tape.

Last edited by xfactor_pitbulls; 03-09-2007 at 04:47 PM.
Old 03-09-2007, 04:58 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
If some one had to get a job done and there was no other option, I can see doing it. Like maybe making or repairing an old barn door if you didnt have an arc welder. There is no benefit using flux core vs. solid with shielding gas.

I dont agree with your last statement. Using flux core give yout the advantage to weld thicker metal than shielded gas for instant 1/4 inch metal. with a standard 220 welder you have to use flux core to weld that thick of a metal together and make multipal passes. If you get too much splatter then your welding too hot
Old 03-09-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bumpin_records
I dont agree with your last statement. Using flux core give yout the advantage to weld thicker metal than shielded gas for instant 1/4 inch metal. with a standard 220 welder you have to use flux core to weld that thick of a metal together and make multipal passes. If you get too much splatter then your welding too hot
Well if you are welding 1/4", what is a standard welder? 175amps is where 220v starts and goes up to 300+amps. I personally have a 250amp and 280 amp mig welder. Either will weld 1/4" with only 30% yield. And yes penetrate just fine. At 90% yield, either machine will weld 1/2". You are not correct in your statement, unless you are talking about the smallest 220v mig running .023 wire. Any 220v mig running .030 wire or better can single pass 1/4" no problem.
Old 03-09-2007, 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

i am a machinest and in no way a welder, i work in a welding/machine shop we make hydraulic winches for the new bedford fishing industry and i have beed told that flux core wire is stronger than regular mig wire. we use flux core wire on a lot of stuff, mostly stuff that is machined after, so is it stronger or not. also what i get out of this is i should use regular mig wire, when i have it done i have acess to mig, tig,arc , i plan on usin anti spatter on it and do i have to remove any of the rug because of the heat, sorry to ramble on, and thanks in advance.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:38 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by styoung
i am a machinest and in no way a welder, i work in a welding/machine shop we make hydraulic winches for the new bedford fishing industry and i have beed told that flux core wire is stronger than regular mig wire. we use flux core wire on a lot of stuff, mostly stuff that is machined after, so is it stronger or not. also what i get out of this is i should use regular mig wire, when i have it done i have acess to mig, tig,arc , i plan on usin anti spatter on it and do i have to remove any of the rug because of the heat, sorry to ramble on, and thanks in advance.
Solid mig wire is stronger, more consistant, and more visually appealing. I dont get what the debate is about. Why dont one of you guys go check out a good sized local fab. shop and see what they are welding with.........You will see mig, tig, and arc. No flux core ANYWHERE!
Old 03-09-2007, 11:00 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Studytime
You don't have to change polarities. Just weld like normal with the flux core wire, but have the gas open and shielding it.

It does improve the weld quality of flux-cored wire, but it's still not as nice (in my opinion) as solid wire.

Ben T.

True...i forgot we were still talking about ferrous metals...

jimmy blue is right...get some scrap metal to practice on if you want to weld the car yourself...

Quick Reply: MIG Flux Core for SFC's