Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Aircraft Techs inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 10:01 PM
JUICED96Z

Default Aircraft Techs inside

I get my A&P this summer and just got a student tech/maintence job with a company called Plane Techs. They are a mostly sheetmetal company and are in the AAR building at Indy (old MONSTER United building/hangar).

Any of you guys have any advice on starter tools that I should get beyoned the basic screwdrivers and stuff that you have found handey?

Looks like I start 4:30pm to 3am, not sure on the days yet. Optional overtime, free uniforms and unlimited dry cleaning for them, building is fully climate controlled and all work is done inside, nothing is done outside.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea you can start by getting a pneumatic drill, some die grinders, calipers, tin snips and maybe a rivet gun, those are some of the basic tools your might nees in sheetmetal work
Old 03-18-2007, 02:23 AM
Staging Lane

I don't do a lot of sheetmetal work, but the guys here LOVE the SIOUX 3600 RPM non reversible drill with Brahm chuck. EVERYONE has one, which speaks volumes, imo. I tried one and bought it. The perfect lightweight drill. Get it at browntool.com. I think it's about $300.

If you will be doing any disassembly or reassembly of the aircraft, go to Lowes and get the BOSCH LI-Ion pocket driver. It's about $120. That's probably the best money I ever bought since I'm constantly taking screws in and out. (Don't buy the big 18 Volt monsters) Also, get one of Snap On's wobble screwdriver bits. They are $6 but well worth it especially if used in a snap on ratcheting screwdriver. For screws in almost impossible places to get to, use a 1/4" ratcheting box wrench and a #2 bit. You will need to put a little bit of .032" wire around the bit to keep it from popping on through the wrench. Buy a can of CLOVER brand valve lapping compound. Dab a little on the screwdriver tip, and you remove almost every single screw that refused to budge and almost strips out. IT's a real life saver. Once you try it, you will be a believer.

For power tools, don't cheap out, and lighter is ALWAYS better.

For tin snips, get an offset snip. I would get a nipper too since they are relatively cheap.

browntool.com
yardstore.com
Old 03-18-2007, 01:30 PM
JUICED96Z

I have used valve laping compound for that many times hahaha

The company provides everything over an inch (sockets, wrenches, ect ect) and all the expensive stuff. Pretty sure they have the drills and all also.

Good idea on the screw driver. I have a cheap-o one and love it.

I wanted to take pictures of this place but security said no.......... would have no idea why......retarted.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Snap on screwdrivers + the ratchet one, and your 1/4" set should be all snap on especially the universal set! Offset wrenches, small pickset. Small lockwire pliers, duckbills, adjustable wrench, brass drifts, and for laughs put in a couple of visegrip pliers .
Old 03-18-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Minimum Tool List
1/4" Drive Socket Set, 3/8" Drive Socket Set
#1,#2,#3 Phillips Screwdrivers
Combo Wrench Set 1/4" to 1"
Safety Wire Pliers, Meedle nose pliers,Diagonal pliers Duck Bill Pliers
Channel locks
Flashlight
Punch and Chiesel Set
Ball Peen Hammer
Assorted Files
Utility Knife,Tre Air Chuck
Air Blow Gun
Hex Wrench Set
Inspection Mirror
Magnet
Assorted SLot Screw Drivers
Scribe Set
Putty Knife
Speed Handle
Tote Tray
Easy out Set
Soft Mallet
Tape Measure
Hacksaw,Awl,Wire Brush
Ignition Wrench Set
Rivet Cutter,Cleco Pliers
That should get you started $.025
Old 03-18-2007, 01:43 PM
JUICED96Z

Have most of above

We also have a shop that does nothing but calibrate the mics and other measuring tools/torque wrenches. Company has all the measuring stuff minus tape measures ins the tool rooms for us (one tool room per hangar)
Old 03-20-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Regular

are you going to like just working on sheetmetal?
Old 03-21-2007, 06:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

What type of aircraft are you gonna be working on. When I started I was doing sheet metal on 30 year old military aircraft that has been all over the world in deserts and coastal areas. Talk about corrosion. The sheet metal work sucked but now I am a flightline mechanic and I love it. For sheet metal tools definately gonna need a straight die grinder and a 90 degree die grinder, screw gun(Ingresoll Rand ROCKS!), Drill(Sioux palm drill is recommended), Rivet gun with an assortment of rivet sets and sizes(be sure to get a brass flush set!), Get a screw knocker attachment for your rivet gun cause it make life easier when you have corroded screws, and if the company doesn't supply them get an easy out set! Assortment of pliers including safety wire pliers(I recommend tigerwave safety wire pliers). Like others have said dont cheap out on tools. Those tools are what puts the food on the table so you want dependable tools! Good luck in your new job and I hope you enjoy the aviation business!!!!
Old 03-21-2007, 09:13 PM
JUICED96Z

Right now I am just needing to know what I might need that most people would not think of for a basic starter kit. I have easy outs and all. COmpany supplies all the big stuff. Once I get my A&P in a few months I will have to get a lot more tools.

I think I will like sheetmetal, only time will tell.

What we have right now is a Southwest 737 or two, we have a FedEx 727 and a Northwest long body (can't remember the make). All under heavy checks.

In a few months two hangars (can fit two 737's) will no longer be used for storage and will start having planes in them. I think they said one will be DC-10 only.

From the 2nd to the 8th I am in company training. After that they stick me on an airframe.

What did most of you guys start out at?
As a student they are starting me at 13.50 an hour and fromt what I heard its another .60 every 6 months for like a year or so. No A&P or anything.
I figure once I get that I should move up a good chunk?

Saftey wire pliers are my best friend
Old 03-21-2007, 09:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

infoWorking on that kind of airframe you should be able to get 17.00 an hour easy. I wish I worked commercial type heavy aircraft. I am currently working on US Navy Lockheed Martin P-3 and EP-3E Aries aircraft. The company I work for also has a commercial maint. for heavy mods and commercial flight line for high profile dignataries(mostly foreign). I would like to eventually get over there but for now I am happy with the old prop jobs! By the way, I work at L-3 Communications. Ever heard of it. We also give presidential support and house Air Force One when president Bush lands in waco to go to his ranch! That is probably the coolest part of working there getting to see all the presidential equipment. unfortunately they don't allow us to go on the plane

Last edited by 99M6Z28; 03-21-2007 at 09:41 PM. Reason: info
Old 03-21-2007, 10:01 PM
JUICED96Z

It would be cool just to stand next to that plane lol.

I know come this summer once I get my A&P I will be able to make a lot more but as a student I can't complain.

Never heard of that company.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by JUICED96Z
It would be cool just to stand next to that plane lol.

I know come this summer once I get my A&P I will be able to make a lot more but as a student I can't complain.

It kinda gets old after a while, the glamor gets pissed on with all the bullshit involved. Its an industry with alot of backstabbing. Dont want to detter you thats not my intention. However if you get a chance work on the line its awsome. Alot of action not boring like the hanger.
Did you just get out of school/graduate? How long before you can write your exams?
I had most my time in 727's real workhorses. L1011 were awsome bird. The 737's reminded me of gocarts real cool except when you under them changing the A/c machine.
So I take it you are going to do "C" checks.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They should most off all the tools you need there.
They came with the hangar when AAR bought it.
Just stick to the basic hand tools till you find out what you will be doing. You will more than likely be stuck in **** jobs for being a new hire.
Pulling cargo pit panels. Removing galleys and shiters, pullings seats and interiors. All no fun for just starting out. If you are lucky you might end up on a sheet metal crew, in that case a high speed will become your best friend. Plan on grinding and cleaning a lot of corrosion. Just because they say sheet metal dose not mean you will be doing sheet metal. Once your in the door, and on the floor things change.

You may ask how I know, I have been in the field for sense 1985 been with 3 major airlines, gone through my share of lay offs, pay cuts and bankruptcy's and loss of a pension.

I am not trying to scare you or talk down to you, by any means. In this day and age the industry has changed a 180. Just be ready to have a back up plan because things can change over night. You think you have it good, then they sell the rug out from under you.

Be cautious, it is going to be a rough road. I am sure there are more that can tell you the same and or other things to watch out for.

Chris
Old 03-23-2007, 12:55 AM
JUICED96Z

Well a local competition engine building shop is going to bee looking for help soon and I told them I was interested for on the side work so I have a back up plan.

Not sure if I want to stay working on airplanes my entire working life.

Were I work at now has A TON of backstabing. Happens every day. I have just learned to avoid it the best I can and when you get screwed you just move on.

My goal is to one day get out of the hangar and work the line.

Yep lots of C checks. We have a Southwest 737 thats COMPLETLY gutted right now, no floor, no engines, nothing lol.

I will be taking my tests late this year. My last class engs in August but will not be able to test untill the end of the year. I am kinda glad thats the way it will happen because I am REALLY lacking in the studying department.
Old 03-23-2007, 05:33 AM
12 Second Club

Dude, I work on AV8B Harriers. Still in the Corps. I can definatly tell you. Dont skimp on tools. We cant get the funds to get good tools but we break the cheap ones daily. What would also interest you far as tools is the racheting box wrenchs. Lots of litte tight corners with bolts and nuts. Plus, a flex line for a drill. For those fun corner rivets. Cherry max rivet gun for the big ones. Overall, take your time, do the job right the first time, dont cut corners and have fun. Remember, you might be flying on that one day.

Ski
Old 03-23-2007, 11:08 AM
JUICED96Z

Thanks for the info ski. I know what you mean on funds and tools lol.

My old man just got back from a live fire in FL (F-16 crew chief) and they could not even aford planes to fly them down or a SINGLE 130 for the equipment. Or even charter buses so they had to rent like 20 mini cans and a few semis and had to drive down and back.......

All the money is going to the war so what can you do lol.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:49 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 618HAWK
They should most off all the tools you need there.
They came with the hangar when AAR bought it.
Just stick to the basic hand tools till you find out what you will be doing. You will more than likely be stuck in **** jobs for being a new hire.
Pulling cargo pit panels. Removing galleys and shiters, pullings seats and interiors. All no fun for just starting out. If you are lucky you might end up on a sheet metal crew, in that case a high speed will become your best friend. Plan on grinding and cleaning a lot of corrosion. Just because they say sheet metal dose not mean you will be doing sheet metal. Once your in the door, and on the floor things change.

You may ask how I know, I have been in the field for sense 1985 been with 3 major airlines, gone through my share of lay offs, pay cuts and bankruptcy's and loss of a pension.

I am not trying to scare you or talk down to you, by any means. In this day and age the industry has changed a 180. Just be ready to have a back up plan because things can change over night. You think you have it good, then they sell the rug out from under you.

Be cautious, it is going to be a rough road. I am sure there are more that can tell you the same and or other things to watch out for.

Chris
yup complete 180 after 9/11. Bullshit thing is it an excuse because not everyone lost money. Some actually made money. Up here Canada 3000 did go under but hes up back and running under the name USA 3000.

If you get a ******* job run, run as fast as you can!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-23-2007, 01:53 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Rebelord
Dont skimp on tools. we break the cheap ones daily. might Ski
x2 dont skimp because they always break when you least expect them to.

You will love working on the line. Theres always action if you know what I mean.

Quick tip for when your on the line. If you endup on a night departure shine your maglite at the A/C after it has boarded, and start pointing while you talk to someone. Then shrug your shoulders and wave it off like it was nothing.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:18 PM
JUICED96Z

Originally Posted by jester1
x2 dont skimp because they always break when you least expect them to.

You will love working on the line. Theres always action if you know what I mean.

Quick tip for when your on the line. If you endup on a night departure shine your maglite at the A/C after it has boarded, and start pointing while you talk to someone. Then shrug your shoulders and wave it off like it was nothing.

LOL!!!!!!! I have heard stories of guys coming out to the jet and the tech is looking at something in the engine and the lead starts yelling at him. The guy hands the lead a handfull of bolts and assorted items and they both look around and then wave at the pilot and smile.

Knew another guy that went up to a pilot after an engine swap and said "here are some extra bolts that came out but we could not find were they went when we hung the engine"

Last edited by JUICED96Z; 04-08-2007 at 08:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Aircraft Techs inside