Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

My wooden ramps....work great!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 06:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default My wooden ramps....work great!!!

Hey everybody... I just wanted to show some pics of the wooden ramps that I built. I got the idea from this website:

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/...amps/index.htm

That jumpstarted me on my quest to build them. I really hated trying to use a jack to get my car in the air. And ryhino ramps just dont cut it anymore. My car is lowered, and with the lightened flywheel, spec cluch, and alittle bit of cam lope...they are really difficult to get up. These are just like going up a hill. I used autocad, and my wheelbase to figure out how to make them just right. I made them taller than the ones on the mustang website.

If you make them like I did...they are HEAVY. Thats their only drawback. Im going to install handles to make them easier to pull around. If you make them my way, you will be able to build them out of 7 pieces of 2x10 lumber, at 10 feet long. You wont have any scrap left over. I wanted my rear tires to come up on the ramps some for two reasons. One, when I feel the rear tires come up, I know Im on the top level and I need to feel for the wheel stop. Two, So that it gave me some more space in the back to get the jack under the car.

Anyway, on to the pictures. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask. Im sure Im not the only one who has made these...but I just wanted to show that I had good results. Anyone wanting the measurments that I used, let me know, and Ill post up a diagram.

Justin

P.S. Im working on a system to space the ramps properly, instead of using my eye. I wasnt centered perfectly on the ramps at all... I also wanted to mention, they feel very stable and when the car is up there, it seems rock solid. While pulling up on the ramps, their weight helps keep them from sliding. They never budge.

Just a shot showing how the jack can easily be used on the rear to get it up in the air too.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats pretty neat how lond did it take u to make it
Old 03-25-2007, 08:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Not long. About an hour...maybe less. That includes cutting the boards, and screwing them together. I chose to screw them together as opposed to nailing them. I figured they'd stay together better, and plus its easier than hammering in my opinion. I used 2.5" screws that were designed for pressure treated wood... Not sure what the difference is, but they are coated green, and seal once they are in. Something along those lines...

Im going to add that these ramps make doing simple things like changing the oil, or greasing steering, or whatever you need to "quickly" do much easier. You dont have to drive all the way up if you dont want to. You can stop short of the top level. The only disadvantage is they are heavy, and you need space due to their length. But I hate using a jack to get my front end up, and I hate rhino ramps...so this solution works great for me.

J.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:31 AM
TECH Addict

looks good. I thought bout it but I just don't have the space to put the wooden ramps anywhere.
Old 03-26-2007, 07:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah it is an issue. Thats why I got pressure treated wood. Otherwise, if I had to keep them indoors, it would be a no go.

Honestly, if these things last me til I re-do my exhaust, thats all I really ask of them. I know they will last much much longer, but thats the main reason I built them. Dropping headers and making a new y-pipe.

Im going to the hardware store today during lunch to try to find suitable handles for the moving these things. Im going to mount them at an angle that makes it natural to grab them. That should make it easier. Half the problem is getting a grip on them, because that usually means tipping them over, which is a tast in itself.

Thanks for the comments so far!

Justin
Old 03-29-2007, 12:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

brilliant. I just might have to make me some of those
Old 03-29-2007, 01:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Ramps have always sketched me out due to my fear of driving up too far and rolling off the edge.

With your design can you sorta count the steps up to the top or are you still going by "feel?"
Old 03-29-2007, 01:29 AM
On The Tree

haha thats pretty neat
Old 03-29-2007, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey guys. You can easily tell when you are going up a level. I know Im on the top because I can feel my back tires come up onto the ramps. Also, since I took those pictures I put bigger wheel stops at the front. Another 2x3..and its much easier to tell you are up against it now.

I used them for real last night. Came up with an idea to use straps to keep the car from rolling while using a jack on the back. Thought it was a dumb idea at first...but I strapped it down, put it in neutral with the e-brake off and I couldnt get it to budge. So it seems to have worked out good. I installed handles for moving them, and I used 2.5" screws...so they are anchored in good.

Anyway here are some pics of them in action.

Here are the straps. The wood is there to keep the "buckle" off my wheel.

This is after jacking up the rear to approx the same height as the front.

Just showing how the tires never budged from the wheel stops. It wants to pull backwards due to my driveway not being smooth and letting the jack sink alittle. But the straps did their job and held it from moving.

Lastly...just a shot to show how much room you get.

Yes...you loose access to the car from the side. So these wont be absolutly perfect for every job. however Im doing exhaust, so its exactly what I need. I had the entire car up in the "air" and the exhaust off in under an hour last night. So far so good!

Justin
Old 03-29-2007, 08:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My dad has something like that but only 3 levels we just use it to get the cars high enough to get under and change the oil. but i like your idea too i may do that just not as long since I cant leave outside at my place. Cant wait to have a house and land so i can leave stuff where i want too.
Old 03-29-2007, 09:17 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I made some out of 6x6's years ago. Not near as big or as heavy as those. Bought a single 6x6 and measured about 14in from one end then cut an angle down to the other end so you can drive up it. The whole thing is about 3.5ft long and weights 10lbs or so a piece.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

pretty damn clever man...patent it and become a millionaire haha
Old 03-29-2007, 01:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z'mnypit
I made some out of 6x6's years ago. Not near as big or as heavy as those. Bought a single 6x6 and measured about 14in from one end then cut an angle down to the other end so you can drive up it. The whole thing is about 3.5ft long and weights 10lbs or so a piece.
Something about that just doesn't sound safe, I think I'd much rather have a many level levels as opposed to a gradual incline.

I'd like to see some pics none-the-less.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Lythropus
Something about that just doesn't sound safe, I think I'd much rather have a many level levels as opposed to a gradual incline.

I'd like to see some pics none-the-less.
No its flat on top just like a ramp, it goes up then flat. Sorry should have worded it differently. Only thing I use them for no is so the arms on my lift will slide under the car.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:15 PM
11 Second Club

This a good idea to build off of. I have an enclosed trailer and this will be perfect to set under the gate and get the car in the trailer without scraping anywhere.

Like the two guys on the guiness commercials....... "Brilliant!!!!"
Old 03-29-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

EXCELLENT....looks very safe....
Old 03-30-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Z'mnypit
No its flat on top just like a ramp, it goes up then flat. Sorry should have worded it differently. Only thing I use them for no is so the arms on my lift will slide under the car.
Oh, I read it wrong...
Old 03-30-2007, 09:43 PM
Launching!

Congrats , you've re-invented the ramp
Old 03-30-2007, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

that is awesome, I thought about doing that but using cinder blocks for a permanent ramp in a garage
Old 03-31-2007, 12:11 AM
12 Second Club

nice little long....here is what my step dad has, they are great
little bigger then the cheap plastic ones and way stronger.

under the rear wheels

Quick Reply: My wooden ramps....work great!!!