Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Snap-On tech-angle torque wrench

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 12:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Snap-On tech-angle torque wrench

Does anyone here have one? Is it worth the extra money? I do turn wrenches for a living. However, I don't normally do any engine/transmission rebuilding where I believe it would be most usefull.

I did do a clutch yesterday on a Matrix which asked for XX ft-lbs + 90 degrees though.

Those of you who have it.....is it worth it?
Old 04-11-2007, 06:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

They are great wrenches, I happened to be doing a head gasket job when my SO guy came in, and he let me use it for the job, and it did make the job WAY faster, instead of torquing, then setting final tq. by angle (twice) and having to swap from a tq. wrench to a ratchet with an angle gauge. But I didn't do those sort of jobs often enough to justify the cost, not to mention it was my second to last day in the shop before I left the business lol
Old 04-11-2007, 06:35 PM
On The Tree

So essentially....not worth the extra $200.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:07 PM
TECH Regular

I have the 3/8" and the 1/2"...I got them for half off, so i decided to get both. If you feel your going to use them on a fairly frequent basis than i definately think its worth it. I'm in school right now for BMW and all there torque specs. are in Nm..and most of there bolts are torque to yield. The techangle can display the torque in Ft-lbs, In-lbs, and Nm..which is cool cuz you dont have to do the conversion yourself.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They are awesome. They do a great job when having to degree Northstar motors
Old 01-02-2012, 05:25 PM

For measuring torque they are great, for measuring +angle they are fast, but not reliably accurate. If you are putting enough torque on the fastener to flex or twist the wrench, socket, or extension. I had the techangle register 12 degrees on a 6mm allen head bolt when the bolt never turned. Will probably on be a few degrees under most circumstances, but if you are ratcheting in a tight space like the wrench is advertised for, it will be off a little bit each ratchet.
Old 01-02-2012, 05:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

I have one, bought it when I was in school for BMW also. Use it a few times a week. Only complaint I have about it is when you need the extra leverage you risk the chance of twisting the cap off and shutting it off.
As far as the angle its nice when you run out of room say doing 180* and it will blink what angle you were at and continue till the set angle is reached.
Don't think the half inch is worth it but I would get the 3/8"
Old 01-04-2012, 05:27 PM
TECH Regular

Ive got both 3/8 and 1/2 use them almost every day i love them but do have there quirks I had to send the 3/8 back under warranty once and the half in was outa warranty and cost me a hundred bux to fix after being dropped i added more solder to the solder joint at the end near the batt cap to keep from shutting on and off if u have high tq it was prone to beaking the joint also a zip tie around the end keeps the two hslves together better also but i do luv them i use the angl alot and nm on alot of cars i work on so they work out well. Gear wrench makes sum that look very similar for less btw
Old 01-04-2012, 07:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i have matco's version of this ratchet, and i must say,this is one badasss wrench!
Old 01-04-2012, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a 3/8 one wanting to get a 1/2.. I love the one I have. went from working at a ford dealership to working on semis, trailers, all the big stuff, I would spend extra money especially when doin engine work and such... pretty much only use my 3/8 when doing headgaskets of reefer units, and running valves, doesn't get used very offen now but still love it
Old 01-05-2012, 07:40 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MyFirstLS1
I have one, bought it when I was in school for BMW also. Use it a few times a week. Only complaint I have about it is when you need the extra leverage you risk the chance of twisting the cap off and shutting it off.
As far as the angle its nice when you run out of room say doing 180* and it will blink what angle you were at and continue till the set angle is reached.
Don't think the half inch is worth it but I would get the 3/8"
I had the same problem with mine. I have had one for about 4 years and believe it or not snap on has a deal where you can improve a design on an existing tool. I told them about the end cap and they actually re-designed the end battery cap on so it will not turn off if accidently hit.
Old 01-05-2012, 12:23 PM
10 Second Club

Great tools, I have the 1/2" tech angle, and use it on our crank bolts and head bolts all the time, saves a ton of time on head bolts....
Old 01-15-2012, 01:27 PM
Teching In

I have a 1/2in Techangle. LOVE IT. Money well spent.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Got the 3/8" Tech-angle and the 1/2" Tech-Wrench(same thing with out angles) IMO there is no better Torque Wrench out there, and its Displays the torque as its applied that can help too. Worth the Money? Yes!
Old 01-21-2012, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

i love my 1/2 tech angle. i work in a gm dealership and do a lot of motor work on the pickups and this saves tons of time on the heads and rods. i wouldnt want to do it any other way.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

got the 3/8 ,loan it out alot.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:57 AM
Launching!

I have the 1/2" found it in a pawn shop, less than a year old. its a great wrench, I think I have the updated end cap, never twisted and turned off on in use. I use it all the time on projects.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I own and have owned the 3/8 and 1/2 version. After owning and using them for a while my review is as follows: Overall nice wrench. Fells good in the hand, fits in tight places, great ratchet and flex 80tooth head. It beeps to warn you of approaching torque and vibrates firmly when at correct torque. Also it is easy to read the torque reading on the wrench while tightening fasteners. I am not impressed with the electrical and engineering glitches that have plagued these wrenches. The first glitch was the cap intermittingly malfunctioning and causing the wrench to turn off (even during use). That was a pretty big engineering goof up. Snap On replaced the flawed wrenches. The 2nd gigantic down fall of these wrenches is the inaccuracy of the degree feature. THE DEGREE FEATURE CAN NOT BE TRUSTED, unless you want to have the possibility of doing the job over again. Degree feature is off 10*-15*. DO NOT TRUST THE DEGREE FEATURE (I thought that was worth yelling).

Overall good wrench, I use the angle feature but only in conjunction with common sense (and a line drawn on the head of the bolts). For the price it could be a little more refined (i.e. better plastics). The inaccuracy of the angle feature is a big turn off but until they come out with something better I guess im stuck with the TechAngle.

Last edited by 3rdCoastPowerSports; 04-13-2013 at 12:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Snap-On tech-angle torque wrench