Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Looking For Mild Steel V-Band's...

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 12:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Well, Im positive they arent stamped. Cant say for sure on the process... I dont see how you could stamp a v-clamp flange... Thats the only way you could make sure the sealing surface was consistant. Either way...they are like a solid ring. Real shiny and smooth.

This is pretty close to what mine look like. But alittle different...

J.
I read on another forum somewhere that the v-band flanges can either come stamped or CNC'd. That's why I ask. The picture you have looks CNC'd for sure though. So, yours are different from the picture above how? You don't have the little tube that sticks up from the flange?
Old 05-08-2007, 03:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gave up on trying to MIG weld them. Got some .023 309L stainless wire. That didnt help things at all. Just cant make a nice enough weld that either wont leak or doesnt warp the flange (ruined a flange from warping it...not a cheap mistake).

Took them to a local machine shop. Cut some 2" long pieces of pipe to stick in each one and had the TIG it. $60 for 6 flanges. They look perfect, wont leak, and they told me they would TIG the entire y-pipe when I was done. I can MIG the pipe to pipe easy...but for another $60...Ill have them do it.

Justin

Last edited by ghettocruiser; 05-09-2007 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-09-2007, 09:38 AM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

Hey! Looks good. Still haven't ordered mine yet as I'm waiting to put in a large order with those included.
Old 05-09-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Cool man. hey..if you can afford it, get a couple extras. That way JUST in case one gets furbar'd, you wont have to wait for another like I did.

If you dont mess any up, you can easily sell the left overs to someone. I wish I would have gotten an extra...then again, I wish I would have just had them tigged in the first place. haha.

You still gonna try to do them yourself?

J.
Old 05-09-2007, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Mild Steel 2.5 V bands

Or Youngs Performance

Also a quite a few on ebay. I've bought some from this company, they ship fast and have sizes from 2.0 to 4.0 and all stainless.

Stainless V bands

But if doing exhaust work and not doing any fancy turbo work, stick with pressed flanges. They come in all sizes and in MS or SS. Nearly the same as a V band but more economical especially if you opt for the MS. 2.5 to 3.0 should cover anyone doing some true duals.

Pressed flanges and clamp assemblies

Last edited by frcefed98; 05-09-2007 at 02:40 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:33 PM
Staging Lane

Arrow

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Mild Steel 2.5 V bands

Or Youngs Performance

Also a quite a few on ebay. I've bought some from this company, they ship fast and have sizes from 2.0 to 4.0 and all stainless.

Stainless V bands

But if doing exhaust work and not doing any fancy turbo work, stick with pressed flanges. They come in all sizes and in MS or SS. Nearly the same as a V band but more economical especially if you opt for the MS. 2.5 to 3.0 should cover anyone doing some true duals.

Pressed flanges and clamp assemblies
Thanks for the info. Don't know if I like the pressed flanges as I haven't heard any first hand opinions on them. Iv'e changed plans a little with how I'm going to run the exhaust now so all I need is a single 3" v-band (or some sort of removable setup). Basically this will allow me to remove the exhaust from the merge collector back which will contain the muffler, bent tubing over the axle and the tip. I can then install a different setup (muffler, tip combo) and easily re-install it to see how I like it. I'm still leaning towards V-band, espically since I only need one now instead of three.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If exhaust work is all your doing then pressed flanges will be absolutely fine for quick take down at the track or where ever you need a quick detachment point.

I'd only use an expensive V band on a high pressure tube like a turbo crossover that really needs to be leak free.

I usually run pressed flanges from the downpipe back, no issues at all.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

Question

Originally Posted by frcefed98
If exhaust work is all your doing then pressed flanges will be absolutely fine for quick take down at the track or where ever you need a quick detachment point.

I'd only use an expensive V band on a high pressure tube like a turbo crossover that really needs to be leak free.

I usually run pressed flanges from the downpipe back, no issues at all.
Alright, for $30 compared to $80 for a V-Band, I'll give the pressed flange a try. It says it is for pipe not tube though. There is a difference between the two so what do you run when you build your setups? Go up one size to 3.5" or stick with the 3"? Or maybe they just have their lingo wrong.

Last edited by Rompn; 05-15-2007 at 05:07 PM.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:06 PM
Staging Lane

Arrow

Well I went ahead and contacted the company in the link your provided. Got a few things figured out and a few new questions as well. First off, the pressed flange is what the guy there recomended for my application as well. In fact, he has one on his truck and is doing the exact same setup I am. He measured one over the phone with me and told me they are measured ID (inside diameter). So, that means it slips over my 3" tube I'm using. So that solves that. Now, I asked him if I really wanted to use a V-Band flange I could, right? He said no because they are only used in a turbo type application and something about both mating surfaces have to be in a v configuration to get a positive seal. Apparently that doesn't apply for normal exhaust type tubing??? Still don't understand that part as I see others using v-bands on normal exhaust setups. Either way, I'm going to give this pressed flange a try and see what happens. They don't make them in 2.25" so I'm going to just get a single 3".
Old 05-15-2007, 06:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Yup...Burns is where I saw them... I remember the name now. I worried about the flanges rusting, but since they are CNC'd they should last alittle longer. Just due to not having pits and areas for moisture to collect.

I have a Jeep too, and made a custom exhaust out of all mild. Ive had it all submerged in water and mud almost up to the hood and the pipes are still in good condition. Just clean it off after you wheeling trip.

I asked about rust on those flanges when I talked to dynatech, and they said it wasnt really an issue. The guy told me I could tape off the sealing part of the flange, paint the back side of it, and that would help. Because the sealing sides fit so tight and flat against each other, that they dont easily rust. So Im going to hit all my weld areas and the back sides of those flanges with the highest temp paint I can find and just hope that it works out forever. haha.

Justin
I know what you mean. BBQ Grill black paint from Home Depot works well.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:22 PM
Staging Lane

Question

So, I noticed that they make these "pressed flanges" in both carbon steel and also stainless steel. I would like to get the stainless steel as it is only a $3 difference however am I going to run into welding issues with trying to weld it to my current aluminized tubing?
Old 05-15-2007, 07:23 PM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by WOTFMAN
I know what you mean. BBQ Grill black paint from Home Depot works well.
Iv'e heard that works well for the cost. I may use it for a custom tip I'm building for this system.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Rompn
Alright, for $30 compared to $80 for a V-Band, I'll give the pressed flange a try. It says it is for pipe not tube though. There is a difference between the two so what do you run when you build your setups? Go up one size to 3.5" or stick with the 3"? Or maybe they just have their lingo wrong.
Yeah...I was thinkin about the pressed ones...but the v-clamps I got were 40 from summit. So...for the extra 10 bucks, I figure, if they are good enough to hold boost, I WONT have any exhaust leaks. Plus Im relying on my clamps to hold my y-pipe into place, so I wanted the sturdiest set up I could use.

A clamp like I am using will work just fine on exhaust...as will the stamped ones I imagine. Its amazing the amount of compressive force you get with the two flanges and the "V" shaped clamp. Before they are even all the way tight you cant even rotate the two flanges anymore. These things are great.

Justin

P.S. Its so nice to have clearance again... and an easy way to connect/disconnect the exhaust, without dealing with slip fits...

Sorry Im kind of pic whoring...just figured Ide show ya an assembled pic or two...
Old 05-16-2007, 09:31 AM
Staging Lane

Thumbs up

Looks good.

Quick Reply: Looking For Mild Steel V-Band's...