9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Aluminum jack vs steel

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aluminum jack vs steel

I'm in the market for a new jack and as usual can't decide what I want/need. I've had my 3 ton Sears unit for 10 or so years and it has served its purpose without a hitch. I've never even serviced it but the wheels are rusty and I hate pushing it around the garage. I've been looking at aluminum ones but I'm skeptical about reliability and safety. I also don't want to spend 300 bucks on a "pro" model. What are you guys using? And what about the alum/steel models? This is as bad as trying to pick a damn exhaust I've been looking on Northerns site as they have a really nice selection. Thanks for any input.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just knowing what the jack is made of isn't enough info to make a good descision. Brand and price is important too. You get what you pay for. Check out this thread from a few months ago, a lot of good info.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=jack
Old 05-14-2007, 02:13 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've used cheap jacks, and I've used an expensive jack. My AC hydraulics jack is the only one I use now for all of my jobs...it was by far the best tool I've bought for my car. The Jeg's aluminum jack just sits around doing nothing, and that is about all it is good for.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:29 PM
Teching In

Of my 3 jacks, I use an aluminum Larin 2 ton I paid $ 100 for at Costco last year almost exclusively. And FWIW I heartily agree with a comment in the thread HavATampa posted about Larin jacks, they do drop too quickly, but you get used to turning the handle really slow after you use it a couple times.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:27 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

Aluminum in trailer, steel in the shop. Yes quality is very important. I got my aluminum jacks from Sam's Club. I bought 3. 2 work fine, 1 won't lift anything low. They were $75, so I got what I paid for.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:12 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think aluminum is the only way to go!!!
Old 05-17-2007, 08:30 PM
TECH Regular

low profile aluminum with a tall lift and high weight rating. you will be happpy. one of my favorite investments 125.00 at schucks for the one I got. ~Guy
Old 05-17-2007, 08:37 PM
Teching In

I actually just bought this one from Northern tool, VERY happy with it so far... http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...3500_200313500

I went back and forth though because the aluminum was only 1 1/2 ton, but in reality i figure i'm not going to be lifting that much at one time... I mean if i'm not mistaken, that's pretty close to trying to jack your entire car off the ground with ONE jack
Old 05-17-2007, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
I've used cheap jacks, and I've used an expensive jack. My AC hydraulics jack is the only one I use now for all of my jobs...it was by far the best tool I've bought for my car. The Jeg's aluminum jack just sits around doing nothing, and that is about all it is good for.
Which AC Hydraulics one do you have?
Do you have the longer one? (DK13 I believe)
If so, can it reach under the radiator shroud and to the k-member on a lowered F-Body?

That jack looks PIMP!
Old 05-17-2007, 09:42 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cobrakillerta
Which AC Hydraulics one do you have?
Do you have the longer one? (DK13 I believe)
If so, can it reach under the radiator shroud and to the k-member on a lowered F-Body?

That jack looks PIMP!
Yes, it is the DK13HLQ...it will not reach under the shroud from the front, but you can do it at an angle from one side or the other right in front of the tire, and my car sits pretty low. It'll reach all the way to the center of the k-member, and you can jack it up from there perfectly fine (and safely). It'll also slip under my CME tips in the back and all the way under the pumpkin on the rear end...I just put a 4x4 on top of the jack to keep it from contacting the sway bar, and jack away. No more of that side-to-side jacking bullshit for me
Old 05-17-2007, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Yes, it is the DK13HLQ...it will not reach under the shroud from the front, but you can do it at an angle from one side or the other right in front of the tire, and my car sits pretty low. It'll reach all the way to the center of the k-member, and you can jack it up from there perfectly fine (and safely). It'll also slip under my CME tips in the back and all the way under the pumpkin on the rear end...I just put a 4x4 on top of the jack to keep it from contacting the sway bar, and jack away. No more of that side-to-side jacking bullshit for me

That's awesome!
I may just have to drop the $$$ for one of those.
Although, I was thinking once I do SFC's I'll just jack it up from there on each side. Nice & solid and just 2 spots to jack it up and be all set.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

who makes a jack like the craftsman low profile aluminum one but a little cheaper? are there any that will hold up for doing small projects at home (just trying to get under the car to get jack stands under as the cheesy jack i'm using now takes forever and doesn't clear) for say, around $80? where can i get it?
Old 05-20-2007, 03:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the input guys! I still haven't decided what to get. I don't want a cheap one, I just can't afford to drop 3-400 on a really good one. I would like one long enough to reach the k-member or rear pig though.
Old 05-20-2007, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

I got a cheapo aluminum one from Harbor Freight about 5 or 6 months ago and works good. Its the low profile "3000lb capacity racing jack" thats on their website for $85. Ive got a lowered car and dont have any problems jacking mine up with it.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by skeels
I got a cheapo aluminum one from Harbor Freight about 5 or 6 months ago and works good. Its the low profile "3000lb capacity racing jack" thats on their website for $85. Ive got a lowered car and dont have any problems jacking mine up with it.
ive had the same jack for about a year now and it works great. only problem is that the pad doesnt swivel, and the rubber part came off the pad and i havent found anything that will keep it sealed on the jack pad...other that that i love it.

-cam
Old 05-21-2007, 12:39 AM
On The Tree

Yea, my pad came off on like the second use. Other than that its been good. Not to concerned about the pad, proboly could get some rhino bed liner or something sprayed on the top if you wanted something on there.
Old 05-23-2007, 11:00 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

Mine are from crew line, 2000# rated. Bought at Sam's club, $72 + tax. They don't swivel and one pad fell off also. No one has a car here lower than mine and there is not any jack that will fit under. So as you guys get lower you will have to get something to lift the nose to fit under with any jack. Like I said, I bought 3 and one doesn't work right, so you have to decide $2-300 or $72 and hope for the best.

Old 05-28-2007, 05:10 PM
TECH Resident

Yea Im a husky guy looking for a 30" lift jack.. Its stock heght but I do have sub frames. Leaning towards http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=42820

But I also like http://www.asedeals.com/Ranger_floor_jacks.html Model RFJ2TX

Not too sure which I will end up going with, anyone else have any other suggestions? Hoping to keep it under 200, but I guess its my life haha so will work towards the 33 range

Haha one day imma jus get a damn lift
Old 05-29-2007, 07:47 AM
Staging Lane

i know im gonna get flamed for this... but i use screw/scissor jack. you know how big *** motorhomes sometimes have a big scissor/screw jack bolted or welded to their frame for long term parking to keep it stable and level? well those have 5000-7500 pound weight rating, they are compact, light weight, low to the ground, raise up to 24 inches, and can be raised with a socket wrench, or power tools. they are inexpensive ($60-100 for two), and have more than enough jack strength to raise a pickup truck or car. they lastf forever too they were designed to be permenantly fixed to the OUTSIDE of a motorhome so they are strong powdercoated. if you are concerned with stability weld/bolt a wide plate on the bottum and bolt a pad on for the top, you can even lock the screw from turning back on you with a little trick. raise or lower as slow or fast as you need... hell, you can put them in place of the stock scissor jack with the spare tire, i bet you guys dont take your floor jack with you incase you get a flat tire ... 9 times out of 10 you are just going to put jackstands under the car anyway if you are at home.

i'm in the military and move a lot, thus needing compact, light weight things so i can pack up and move in a day... like small useful tools, projector instead of a tv, laptop instead of desktop... etc

if i had a true home/garage that i was sure i would be staying in for years to come i would invest in a serious floor jack among other things. anywya, just food for thought for people on the move.

oh, another thing... right now i only weight about 130-150 pounds so i'd rather not have my jack weigh more than i do
Old 05-29-2007, 10:40 AM
TECH Resident

i think i have a leg that weighs that much

chuckles.. 24 wouldnt be bad... though it tends to get tight for me when i crawl underit and its 18 inches high hehe

Quick Reply: Aluminum jack vs steel