Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Where can I get a good oil drain pan?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 08:53 PM
11Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Where can I get a good oil drain pan?

Hey all,

I use this oil pan, and the design is pretty decent, but the problem is that it's just a crappy piece of plastic. It leaks, and the plug that goes in the middle on the top doesn't even stay in place. If I could find a quality, metal version of this, I would be ecstatic. Show me what you use!
Old 05-14-2007, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Check this out
http://www.google.com/products?q=met...oogle&ct=title
Old 05-15-2007, 07:38 AM
11Second Club

Which one am I supposed to be looking at? The galvanized pan with the open top? The one I have can be closed up. If the stupid thing was made well, I could throw it in the back of the pickup and take it to AutoZone without worrying about it spilling.
Old 05-15-2007, 09:19 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

They have a galvanized pan at most of the big chains around here. It holds enough to do my diesels (~4 gallons) I love it, strong and stable when full. I have old fuel barrels as drains (55 gal) so I don't have to transport. If you need to move, I would get a 5 gallon gas can, and use that for oil only to recycle.

Thanks from me & my family for being intelligent enough to recycle. Too many lazy ***' drop it into the ground or sewer.

Old 05-15-2007, 11:21 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

I have the same one that you do Gauge, actually I'm on my 2nd one. The first one did the same things that you mentioned. I also have another plastic one that's a little smaller and compact...it's rectangular shaped and I've had it about 10 years. It's great because I can slide it under my wife's Toyota Matrix w/o even jacking the car up. Unfortunately, I haven't seen that one at the stores anywhere any more It would be nice to find one made of metal like you mentioned though, instead of replacing my other one every few years.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:09 PM
11Second Club

Originally Posted by mrdragster1970
They have a galvanized pan at most of the big chains around here. It holds enough to do my diesels (~4 gallons) I love it, strong and stable when full. I have old fuel barrels as drains (55 gal) so I don't have to transport. If you need to move, I would get a 5 gallon gas can, and use that for oil only to recycle.
The gas can is a great idea. I actually have one that I don't use. I never really thought of that! Holy shizah, that's going to help.

Originally Posted by mrdragster1970
Thanks from me & my family for being intelligent enough to recycle. Too many lazy ***' drop it into the ground or sewer.
I can't imagine someone pouring it in the ground or a sewer. My sewer goes directly into a creek next to my house. I'd never even consider it knowing that.

Just FYI, the guys at Auto Zone tell me that they don't truly recycle old oil. They take it up north and burn it in furnaces specifically made to burn the stuff.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:11 PM
11Second Club

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I have the same one that you do Gauge, actually I'm on my 2nd one. The first one did the same things that you mentioned... It would be nice to find one made of metal like you mentioned though, instead of replacing my other one every few years.
I want to learn how to weld some day. I'm seriously considering making this a project. I'll just stitch one together that's pretty much the same design. That would be so nice. You could make it bigger around, too, if need be, so that it could hold more.

Quick Reply: Where can I get a good oil drain pan?