Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Anyone seen the Craftsman AXS toolbox?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2007, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tool Boxes

I've seen the new tool box. My current tool box is a Craftsman box that I have had since 1978. I have gotten my moneys' worth out of it, however it has worn out and is now too small. My wife bought me one of the $199.00 plastic tool boxes from Sears, Craftsman, I moved it around a couple of times and the bottom fell off, then the sides came loose. My local Sears store informed me that there is NO Warranty on tool boxes!??? I am now looking at Harbor Freight, they have a 56 inch top and bottom Industrial Chest/Cabinet set for $1,600.00 This will probably be the last box I ever buy, all of my time in the Marine Corps, I used many different styles of tool boxes, and even ran the Tool Room and set up tool boxes using Snap-on, Craftsman, and the trash that the US government buys from GSA. It really is not the box that makes the mechanic; it's the tools inside and whether you know how to use them or not. Semper Fi.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

When it comes to the box... I would never buy a craftsman... Not if it is gunna be loaded with air tools and moved a lot (like in the shop)

I have a Cornwell. Box. Only has Cornwell, Snap-on, Blue point, and IR tools in it =D.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eschoendorff
Uhhh.... yes I have seen it and it's basically a toy. I don't know about others, but when I look at a toolbox, I am looking for build quality, not LCD displays and USB ports. That AXS toolbox would never last in a shop.
You just don't know anything. USB>Sturdiness.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a novelty box it would not stand up to heavy use.. fine for the home mechahic I'll stick with my Snap On box.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:25 AM
TECH Regular

Soo .. how are those tool payments each week treating yall ?? Ive used my box just now 3 months ... nothing wrong with it .. ill never look at overpriced tools that some with cool stuff on a truck ever again ... cant believe i did for so long half my Matco and Snap-on stuff is broke and awaiting repair ... not a deal
Old 11-19-2007, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

Well... my box is paid for...if your a professional mechanic your tools say alot about yourself and the amount your willing to invest...
Old 11-19-2007, 08:35 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Transamman25
Soo .. how are those tool payments each week treating yall ?? Ive used my box just now 3 months ... nothing wrong with it .. ill never look at overpriced tools that some with cool stuff on a truck ever again ... cant believe i did for so long half my Matco and Snap-on stuff is broke and awaiting repair ... not a deal
great.. because im worth more to the company with tools....

The ratchets ARE better... The rest... ehh.... but end wrenchs and ratchets (besides the box) are the exspensive stuff... everything else, regardless of what name is on it, is reasonably priced.

I think the box quality difference with what you pay is HUGE. Snap-on is a lil over priced but amazing boxes. I have a cornwell myself and very pleased (better pricing).

It is something that will be with you for the rest of your life. Mise well invest in nice stuff. It is what makes you money and the tools for your hobby. Nothing wrong with nice tools or cheap tools, but i'll never own a craftsman ratchet. I like my knuckles.

Originally Posted by CTSmechanic
Well... my box is paid for...if your a professional mechanic your tools say alot about yourself and the amount your willing to invest...
Agree'd. Im new in my shop and in the career. But like i said they will be with me forever. So the investment is worth it all in the end. They do pay for themselves
Old 11-25-2007, 11:07 PM
TECH Resident

You all know you'd buy this stuff when you were in college as your 1st decent sized box, haha.

I bought one those Kobalt boxes at lowes after a lot of comparing, and it actually has taken a LOT of abuse and the price was pretty good. you can also get a 52'' one for around 700 bux thats pretty nice on thier site.

but im about to buy a new box, thats travel freindly, im about to make a thread about that see what yall think.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Launching!

eh I like the snap-on/matco/mac tool boxes, they are a bit expensive but if you use yours everyday its worth the quality. plus if youve ever moved a fully loaded toolbox with a winch on the handle to get it into the U-haul truck you know exactly where the durability comes in...... and where the craftsmen boxes begin to disintegrate as the front two wheels pop onto the ramp...

on another note, I primarily like the snap-on/blue point wrenches, torque wrenches, ratchets, and screwdrivers! oh god I went through so many cheap phillips tip screwdrivers and now ive had my snap on for two years and counting.

*edit* Back from the dead!*
Old 04-08-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by joblo1978
and it's Craftsman meaning it has a lifetime warranty. If it breaks, you can replace it, for free, forever.
Find out for sure before you buy, I know they won't warrantee my craftsman torque wrench beyond one year. That box may or may not, but don't just assume because it says craftsman it has a lifetime warrantee.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:29 PM

i won this box from school about 2 weeks ago its a nice box if you have your own thing goin on in your garage at home kinda gives you garage that look but to keep it in a busy shop is asking for trouble

ill take it cause it was free but will always stick by my MAC box for life

TBH some of the **** on it can be handy the 6 plugs on the side charge a cellphone along with a 12V outlet and a light all comes in handy at some point

the lcd can come in handy it displays the time controls the radio and gives the temp along with a few other options but i mean every shop has the time and were not in the shop to have a dance off

all in all cool box
Old 05-12-2008, 07:20 PM
Teching In

I've worked at sears part time for the past 3 1/2 years and this is just another one of their fancy new tool ideas that in reality is just an overpriced piece of junk IMO. I'm a mechanic at my full time job and I would never think about buying this box. I'd go buy the 40" top and bottom box at harbor freight for half the price before I'd buy this thing.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:12 AM
Launching!

I went out and played with it at the sears store the other day. I actually like it, for a box in its price range its pretty nice and would be just fine for the home user I think. the slides on the drawers felt better than any of the ball bearing/ ball bearing griplatch series units, and its a nice looking box to boot. the only thing I dont like is the fact that it has plastic handles on it.... imho there shouldnt be plastic anywhere on a toolbox.....
Old 04-14-2011, 08:13 PM

[QUOTE=joblo1978;7952595]This thing is just awesome! You must go to your local Sears and bask in it's glory. The thing even has LED accent lighting, and a USB port!

This AXS combo from Craftsman features a 6-Drawer Chest and a 7-Drawer Roll-Away. The combo features two slide-out LED lights for task lighting, sweeping full-length drawer pulls and full-extension ball-bearing slides. Its large, fiberglass-reinforced, soft-touch over-molded side handles make handling and moving easier. And its structurally-enhanced Stacked I-Frame construction delivers rock-solid, non-racking durability, mobility and longevity for both the chest and the roll-away. Chest includes multi-function information center with LED. Roll-away includes four 5 x 2 in. casters, two with toe brakes[/

I HAVE THIS TOOLBOX NEVER AGAIN
THE LED LIGHTS UNDER THE CRAFTSMAN LOGO (THAT LIGHT IT UP)
STARTED SMOKING AND NOW CANT FIND THE PARTS ANYWHERE
AND THE STORE WHERE I BOUGHT IT CANT FIND MY PURCHASE
FUNNY THEY CAN FIND MY MOWER FRIDGE OVER THE STOVE MICROWAVE
YOU GET MY DRIFT I BUY SEARS ANDCRAFTSMAN AND KENMORE
DONT KNW WHERE TO GO NOW
Old 06-05-2011, 12:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 908 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by CTSmechanic
Its a novelty box it would not stand up to heavy use..
I said the same thing to my wife. She has proven me wrong more than once...
Old 06-05-2011, 10:52 AM

I'm definitely the geek amongst my car friends, and while this toolbox is pretty neat on a technology level, most of the tech seems rather unnecessary. A well-built, organized steel toolbox is still the way to go in most cases.
Old 06-05-2011, 11:53 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Transamman25
They are treating me fine... My box is paid, and my weekly payment is zilch. I would love to know what you use now see'g as you break snapon/matco stuff. Do you work at jiffy lube perhaps? If so, this whole post now makes sense.

Im a weldor, I dont need many tools, certainly not snap on. But for every time I get some stupid job in that does require them, they havent let me down yet. I have broken 2 sockets, and 1 ratchet EVER, over the past 10 years. That says something. I have broken at least 15 craftsman ratchets, a multitude of sockets and wrenches, and almost every screwdriver that bears their name. So to me, yes snap on is well worth the price, and when it breaks I call up Joe and he stops by my shop and replaces/fixes on the spot.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:32 AM
TECH Regular

Harbor freight has a couple of rollaways and top boxes for a pretty good price.My 42 in Craftsman I've had for years is still going fine.Just get bearing drawer slides or you will kick yourself for saving a few bucks and having a **** box.
Old 06-13-2011, 01:32 PM
Teching In

haha.
My brother(porksoda) works for sears and they had a floor model that went on clearance.
He walked away spending $200 on the whole set.
Pretty cool tool box. I like the stainless still look.

Quick Reply: Anyone seen the Craftsman AXS toolbox?