Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Air compressors, any experiences w/ Craftman or Husky?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a small Craftsman with a 20 gallon tank that that Ive been using for 25 years. It's the oil sump style. Have used it for everything over the years. From what is said here the Craftsman oil less style should be avoided for continous use? Do they still have the old style.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update:

I got the Husky 30 gallon Oiled compressor on wheels. I haven't really used it that much yet, but I did test everything out and am very happy. Damn is the thing heavy as hell!!!

When filling the tank up to 150psi it takes a good 10-15min time. When it's full, works great! Hooking up an air ratchet I let the sucker just spin until the compressor would kick on, took about a min until it kicked on, and then the compressor stayed on for about 15-30 seconds until back to 150psi.

The compressor is surprisingly quiet, for a compressor that is. Garage door closed, and walking inside the house, I can just about hear it running through the walls.

After much research, I think this is probably the best sub $400 compressor you can get for air tools for woking on the car IMO.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:35 PM
TECH Junkie

i have the 60 gallon husky and so does my dad ive hade mine for a year now with no problem hes had his for aroud 4 years with no problems and for the price they are hard to beat
Old 01-09-2008, 05:57 PM
Tough Mudder

Got a picture? I'm curious.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hilton
Got a picture? I'm curious.
No personal pictures. Lowes has it on their site, and accurate. It sits about approx 3.5-4' tall.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...066&lpage=none
Old 01-10-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't have my own yet as I'm still in the process of buying a house. However my dad actually built his own air compressor from a 5 hp lawnmower engine, a 2 hp 110 volt AC motor and a 30 gallon air tank. He had that for about 25 years worked flawlessly, it actually ran an air powered saw for concrete that he used to cut a frame out to put a door in the garage.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:35 PM
Tough Mudder

Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
No personal pictures. Lowes has it on their site, and accurate. It sits about approx 3.5-4' tall.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...066&lpage=none
Did you see the pictures I posted on the first page of this thread? Looks pretty similar.

I thought you said you got a Husky. Does Husky make all of them and Kobalt is just a sticker that Lowes puts on them?

I actually timed mine. It takes just over 6 minutes to fill completely to 150lbs from empty, including the 100' air hose.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Did you see the pictures I posted on the first page of this thread? Looks pretty similar.

I thought you said you got a Husky. Does Husky make all of them and Kobalt is just a sticker that Lowes puts on them?

I actually timed mine. It takes just over 6 minutes to fill completely to 150lbs from empty, including the 100' air hose.
I just looked again but didn't see any pictures posted, but you led me to buy this kobalt compressor. I was lookin at husky but didn't like the specs, and around me there weren't that many husky's to look at other than oiless. So not sure if husky and kobalt are the same, I don't think they are. One thing I did note though is the older kobalt had one handle, and the latest model has two handles for moving around.
Old 01-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Tough Mudder

It's possible I'm losing my mind.
Old 01-13-2008, 07:14 PM
Teching In

Im thinking on getting the 80 ga, kobalt air compressor from lowes, Has very good rattings, and compared to the I.R. FROM TSC. its saves me a butch of $$$ also.. and about the same rattings too for scfm.....
Old 01-14-2008, 11:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's possible I'm losing my mind.

What filters are those you are using? I just have an inline water/air seperator/filter.

yep, that is the one, but I think my model it the latest one. The tank and specs are different, but the updated model had two handles on the sides, and the single pump you have on the left, I have two, on on left and right with big circle like air filters. Other than that they are identicle.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:24 AM
Tough Mudder

It's a filter, regulator, oiler. They're the cheap versions of it, but they get the job done.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 02gtp4now
i have the 60 gallon husky and so does my dad ive hade mine for a year now with no problem hes had his for aroud 4 years with no problems and for the price they are hard to beat
X2
I also have a 7hp 220v husky 60gal compressor. I wouldnt use it in a professioal shop but its great at the house. No issues with it. Its made by Cam. Hausfield. for those who didnt know. It is taxed with airtools that need a large constant air flow, like cheap da sanders and highspeed grinders.
Old 01-20-2008, 05:19 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
Update:

The compressor is surprisingly quiet, for a compressor that is. Garage door closed, and walking inside the house, I can just about hear it running through the walls.
Thats the greatest benefit of an oiled compressor. I have the Lowes 30 gallon oiled compressor and I love the fact that it is so quiet.

Its the 110 version... the little brother of the one that Hilton has.

R/

Frat
Old 01-26-2008, 01:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a 6hp craftsman one for a few years. I've run it constantly when doing body work before and i've never had a problem with it

Quick Reply: Air compressors, any experiences w/ Craftman or Husky?