Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Air compressors, any experiences w/ Craftman or Husky?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2007, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Air compressors, any experiences w/ Craftman or Husky?

Homedepot has a black friday deal on a 30 gal Husky tank w/ free air tools.

It seem like Sears has the same deal for a 30-33gal tank, maybe a little more expensive.

I've been looking at cfm and such, and it seems both models are lacking in that area, but after reading some of the reviews, it seems like the lower hp motors are filling the tanks faster than some of the higher horsepower motors.

Any ideas to a good air compressor for $300 or less that i can do occasional work, like my heads and intake install and suspension, and use of die grinders and such?
Old 11-17-2007, 11:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I bought the upright craftsman - 30 gallon I think. It works great, no problems. Helped a lot with my H/C install. Wish I had it for my header/cat back install. The impact would have helped a lot breaking those rusted exhaust bolts free.

Fyi, it is crazy loud compared to a regular oil lubed compressor. Sounds like a siren.
Old 11-18-2007, 12:18 AM
TECH Addict

When I started porting back over 10 years ago I had a 30 gal Craftsman and wore it out, got another one and wore it out, got another one and wore it out, got another one and wore it out. I decided to get a better compressor and got a 60 gal Kobalt and although the first one lasted just one weekend it was faulty but got a replacement under warranty and hadnt looked back.
Moral of the story is get the best you can afford that is up to the task at hand. Craftsman isnt the best compressor by far(neither is Kobalt) but it gets the job done...for a while, how long depends on how you use it.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to consider the goal of the compressor. If you use it for a living, get one with a separate motor and compressor, like Bo White ended up with. You won't find one for $300 that I am aware of. The ones that are combined (like mine) are primarily composed of two parts: the motor/compressor and the tank. The tank can pretty well be taken out of the equation, since it is just a pressure vessel.
As to the motor/compressor unit, I would go with the one with the best warranty and reputation. There are not that many companies making these units, so most are just rebranded generic units. With your two choices, I would go with Craftsman, since they have lots of stores and a good reputation.
The other thing to consider is the format. You can get one that has a vertical tank. It takes up the least amount of floor space, but is not as easy to move around. The other format is a horizontal tank. It takes up more floor space, but is easier to roll around.
AFA noise is concerned, yes, they are noisy. If this concerns you, I suggest building a small noise-insulated, vented box around it. Not that difficult to do, and it does help.
Old 11-18-2007, 03:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, figure the air tank would be good for occasional work on my car. I'm not going to be using this every day. And will likely get some nail guns, etc for working around the house as well.

I'm thinking this will make my head install a bit quicker, and redoing a house that much easier.

How come the craftman wear out so quickly?

Last edited by SilverSmoke; 11-18-2007 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have rebuilt my craftsman 4 times now, and I will never buy another "oil less" compressor. These things just flat wear out too fast. I do not use mine for anything out of the ordinary, just household chores.

The craftsman all use an aluminum sleeve with a crappy compression ring on the piston. If it gets the slightest amount of dirt through the filter, it grooves the aluminum cylinder walls, and it is all over from there......

Jack
Old 11-18-2007, 04:30 PM
11 Second Club

we bought a husky 35 gallon from the local home depot for my dad. he absolutelly loves it! We looked for a few weekends, and found taht the majority of the motors on the cmpressors, are by the same manufacturer. Ours is excellent, and hasnt skipped a beat! If I had to do it all over, I would buy the husky again!
Old 11-18-2007, 05:15 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by babydeuce
I have rebuilt my craftsman 4 times now, and I will never buy another "oil less" compressor. These things just flat wear out too fast. I do not use mine for anything out of the ordinary, just household chores.
Agreed on the oilless compressor. They are soo damn loud. Problem is that is almost all you see in small-mid size compressors.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:34 PM
On The Tree

First off, $300 probably will not get you a compressor that will run a die grinder very well (unless you buy a nice 220vac machine used)... just not enough cfm. That being said, the oilless are all crap. If you don't have 220vac access, then this is the least of teh evils:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+%26+Inflators
Old 11-18-2007, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eschoendorff
First off, $300 probably will not get you a compressor that will run a die grinder very well (unless you buy a nice 220vac machine used)... just not enough cfm. That being said, the oilless are all crap. If you don't have 220vac access, then this is the least of teh evils:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...+%26+Inflators
I was just looking at something similar to these specs, see here:

http://portercable.cpoworkshop.com/c...tv3525vpr.html

What does everyone think of this. Unfortunately not a 30 gal tank, but not sure if the better specs make up for the lack of air volume...? And will run the air tools better, like a die grinder and such...?
Old 11-19-2007, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
I was just looking at something similar to these specs, see here:

http://portercable.cpoworkshop.com/c...tv3525vpr.html

What does everyone think of this. Unfortunately not a 30 gal tank, but not sure if the better specs make up for the lack of air volume...? And will run the air tools better, like a die grinder and such...?
It says 'reconditioned'. Sorta like 'pre-broken and fixed once already'.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by massls1guy
It says 'reconditioned'. Sorta like 'pre-broken and fixed once already'.
Oh I know, but I'm sure everything was replaced and working properly. Heck, these units probably have better QC checks than regular production. Amazon has the same unit for 350 + shipping though.

There is also this unit I found on amazon which may be good...

This is way bit more than I wanna spend, but seems the best of everything:
http://www.amazon.com/Campbell-Hausf...517015&sr=1-12

This is the one I'm really looking hard at:
http://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Air...5517130&sr=1-1
Old 11-22-2007, 08:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SilverSmoke
Homedepot has a black friday deal on a 30 gal Husky tank w/ free air tools.

It seem like Sears has the same deal for a 30-33gal tank, maybe a little more expensive.

I've been looking at cfm and such, and it seems both models are lacking in that area, but after reading some of the reviews, it seems like the lower hp motors are filling the tanks faster than some of the higher horsepower motors.

Any ideas to a good air compressor for $300 or less that i can do occasional work, like my heads and intake install and suspension, and use of die grinders and such?
dude that is not a good deal on that compressor. 299.99 i just seen the ad
that is a price you can get it for all year round sears has the same deal but for 289.99 and is made by the same people and it never goes below 289.99 all year long so i wouldnt waist your time fighting the crowds.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:32 PM
Staging Lane

I had a 60 gal oil less compressor and hated it. The thing was so loud I had to turn it on and leave the garage and come back when it was full. Im actually looking at getting a Kobalt which states is pretty quiet or a Husky.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:38 PM
Tough Mudder

I've got a Kobalt and I really like it. It's an oiled and belt driven 30 gallon. I bought it because it has wheels on it, but now I wish I'd gotten the 60 gallon version without the wheels. It's not much more expensive. I bought a 100' hose and can reach everywhere without moving it.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hilton
I've got a Kobalt and I really like it. It's an oiled and belt driven 30 gallon. I bought it because it has wheels on it, but now I wish I'd gotten the 60 gallon version without the wheels. It's not much more expensive. I bought a 100' hose and can reach everywhere without moving it.
This is the exact one I think I'm gonna get, just wish lowes would have a sale on tools and compressors though. From everything I could find on it, looks pretty decent for the price and will last forever.

How does it work with your tools, and what tools are you using on it? How fast does it refill?
Old 11-30-2007, 05:51 PM
Tough Mudder

The Kobalt works great and refills fast. I mainly use an air ratchet and an impact wrench, but I also use a 3" cutoff wheel and a die grinder pretty often.

Just today I removed the 36mm axle nut on my Volvo with it. No sweat.

I wish you were local, I'd say come check it out. I hesitated before I bought it. If I'd been able to try it first I wouldn't have hesitated at all.

I can do everything with air except light a light bulb.

Last edited by Hilton; 11-30-2007 at 06:06 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

If you use a Husky for construction,it won't last.I went through 3 different models in less than a year.You couldn't give one for free.They're junk.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Huksy 60gallon Upright = POS

Originally Posted by EVILWS6
If you use a Husky for construction,it won't last.I went through 3 different models in less than a year.You couldn't give one for free.They're junk.
I bought a Husky 60 gallon upright (220v) from Home Depot. The compressor seized during the warranty period and it took months to get it fixed. The shop they sent me to tossed out my old compressor that I took in to have checked out. When I picked up the new compressor, I was told that the old unit was thrown out. When I called Husky to complain about not being able to swap over the missing parts, all they wanted to do was SELL me the missing parts.

I will never buy another Husky product. The customer service is the worst I've ever seen.

Bob K.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I fried my Craftsman upright (biggest black one they sold,
oilless), the unloader valve apparently quit and it just
start-cycled itself to death. I bought a Home Depot Husky
to finish the job and it did that, still working. I ran it every
night pretty much, for maybe 6 months while jacking the
house up. 1600 square foot 2-story, 80 pilings, an inch at
a time putting another foot of air under it. Husky did OK
by me and Sears can kiss my ***. I'll keep the big black tank
though.

Quick Reply: Air compressors, any experiences w/ Craftman or Husky?