Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Self Stick tile for garage floor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Self Stick tile for garage floor?

I have a 12' by 27' car bay I would like to cover. I already finished the walls and would like to do the floor. has anybody used self-stick tiles to cover the floor in a garage. I searched the threads and everyone is talking epoxy etc. Any pics of people who use self stick tiles? Any ideas on this that would or wouldn't work. I thought I would use extra adhesive. Looking at a glossy marble black tile. Thanks
Old 12-04-2007, 08:42 AM
6 & 8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard to stay on old or rougher surface. The commercial thick style with a separate glue seem to work much much better than the self stick. My buddy owns a floor cleaning company & he told us how hard it was to make tile work. He does more epoxy coating.
Good luck.

Old 12-04-2007, 09:46 AM
Launching!

I've got a buddy who has it in his shop and I'm going to go with it in mine... Screw an area up, peel up a few tiles and replace.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:11 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have them in my enclosed trailer and they suck azzzzz bigtime. They're peeling / bubbling up all over, especially where exposed to the sun they get hot, expand, then come up. Go with epoxy paint, you'll be glad you did.

Craig
Old 12-04-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I heard if you use adhesive than using the self-stick it'll hold pretty well? I don't have any sun shining on it but I believe it'll work pretty good? Just wondered if anybody has pics? Keep the ideas coming. Thanks
Old 12-04-2007, 09:44 PM
11 Second Club

http://www.cajundude.com/garagehome.htm

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...=garage&page=2
Old 12-04-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, use the thick comercial tiles with a sepperate adhesive. The thin self adhering tiles wont last long and if you turn your front wheels they will twist off the floor.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:50 PM
TECH Resident

The previous owner of my home put down self stick tiles in the garage. They actually stuck better than most people here seem to think they would. Turning the front tires won't mess them up, but a floor jack will. I also have two round holes from where I parked for too long with my M/T DR's setting on the floor. Each one tore a hole out of the tiles that matches the contact patch. The part of each tile that was not stuck to the tire stayed stuck to the floor. It did not pull up whole tiles.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:57 PM
11 Second Club

I had these in my laundry room in my last house. definately dont like them.
I have a 3part epoxy on my garage (epoxy primer, epoxy base coat, coloured chips, and epoxy clear coat). this stuff is indestructable. I've dropped a 12" sub onto the floor and it didn't even mark it. Oil/gas wipes right up no issues at all. Show room finish. Looks killer.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like the look of the tiles to get the colors I want but I'm sure the epoxy would look great as well. I would keep a sheet of plywood or paneling around to jack the car up with the floor jack so I wouldn't damage the tile. I think either one would work if care is taken. Thanks
Old 12-13-2007, 07:04 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

i do flooring for a living.
if you wanna be a baller, put down some 14" or 16" square NAFCO tiles.
layes down with seperate adhesive and will resist most chemicals.
you can pull them up with a heat gun and put a new one down rather easily.

VCT(commerical tiles) is another option, but the floor NEEDS wax, or it will look like the mechanics restroom at your local oil change shop.
haha.
Old 12-14-2007, 10:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

A concern for me would be climate. If you don't have a heated garage, how would vinyl or tile hold up in a cold climate?
Old 12-14-2007, 05:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Good question? anybody? I'm using adhesive if I go vinyl would that hold up in cold garage?
Old 12-14-2007, 06:47 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

any material is going to hold up no matter.
sub zero stuff might have an effect on vinal, but i doubt nafco. commercial tiles will probably crack if you drop something on it and its freezing cold, otherwise you usually just get a dent in it.
tip..... if you install it when its cold (under 70 degree weather) and you have an unlevel trailer floor, you MUST heat the tiles with a heat gun(from the backside) so its pliable enough to bend and lay in the glue. if you dont make a bond, the glue will dry and youll have a corner of a tile sticking up that will never adhere to the floor.
same goes with garage floors.... they dont look as smooth once you get down there and start laying tiles.
if you have humps, bullfloat marks, gouges, etc.... its a nice idea to heat up the tile so it will get in the glue.
good luck.

Quick Reply: Self Stick tile for garage floor?