Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Good floor coating?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 07:19 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Good floor coating?

Can anyone recommend a good garage floor paint/epoxy? I am finally going to have a garage of my own and the floor is pretty unsightly. Suggestions/pictures would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-30-2003, 12:31 PM
Staging Lane

Default Re: Good floor coating?

I did a lot of research before I did my floor. Here's what I learned:

1. The floor needs to be clean. I was in the same situtation as you, in that I had a new house. Instead of cleaning the floor w/ muric (sp?) acid, I used TSP (trisodium phosphate). TSP is like powdered laundry cleaner. I did a good job getting the dirt off the floor. It's not as strong as acid, but it worked good for a new floor. I washed it off several times with the water hose. I let it dry for 24 hrs.

2. Buy quality paint/epoxy. Don't buy the paint from home depot/lowes. You'll regret it. I bought PPG paint. It's called Aquapon. It's an industrial paint. I bought 2 gallons of paint with 2 gallons of epoxy. I'm pretty sure the paint went by Part A and epoxy part B. You'll noticed the stuff at home depot will be a gallon of paint and pint of epoxy. This covered a 3 car garage with 2 coats. I let the first coat dry and reapplied the 2nd coat the following day. I bought the Aquapon at Monarch Paint in Houston. Total price was about 200 for the paint/epoxy. I was told Sherwin Williams makes a good garage floor paint as well.

http://www.amerimexpaints.com/Aquapon_WB.pdf

3) I decided to add some anti-slip to the paint. I added it for both coats, but if I ever did this again, I would just do it for the second coat only. I added less than the recommended amount. I think the stuff is called "shark bite" I bought it at Lowes. It seems to help if the floor gets wet.

4) Do not drive a car on the floor for a week. I put everything back in the garage the day after the 2nd coat and left the cars outside until the following weekend.

I painted my floor over a year ago. I park 3 cars in the garage. No paint has peeled, chipped etc. from driving hot cars tires in the garage, spilling gas, rolling a floor jack etc. My truck has a small power steering leak. No problems with the oil on the floor. I change oil in the garage. If I drip any oil on the floor it wipes up with a rag.

Another good point is that it's easy to clean. I usually just clean it with a electric blower. On occassion, I wash it with water,broom and soap.

Here's a few pics of the finished product. The color is a med/dark gray. I believe the color is steel gray.

Here's 2 pics of the garage.

http://www.camaroracing.com/mvc-002f.jpg
http://www.camaroracing.com/mvc-004f.jpg

Kevin
Old 06-30-2003, 06:04 PM
11 Second Club

That floor looks sweet!
Old 06-30-2003, 07:00 PM
11 Second Club

i saw the u-coat-it website, that stuff looks nice!

www.ucoatit.com pretty pricy.

i did the behr from home depot and it sucks! the hot tires pull it up and it gets harder and harder to get it clean again. i think i am going to strip it all and re-coat it once i get a shed built to put all the non-car crap in.

Old 03-02-2004, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Default U-Coat-It Underwhelming and Overpriced

I used U-Coat-It and had a horrible experience.
The product is good but, they don't give you near enough of it.
It won't cover near the square footage that they claim.
It also goes on too thin and any floor texture shows through badly. They were very unhelpful on the phone. I wasted a lot of time and money (over $1,000) for my
650sqft garage with this stuff.
I would highly recommend avoiding this company. Please you guys, learn from my mistake.

Check out the epoxy at Griot's Garage.
Much much cheaper and a good company.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:35 AM
Banned

Had ours done by a company called "Floorguard" forget what kinda warranty it came with but 1 year later the floor color had gone from grey to a yellow hew in it which they gladly sanded and repainted the floor no charge.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:22 AM
Staging Lane

Anyone have any experience with the Rustoleum product?
Old 03-04-2004, 07:14 AM
STF Veteran

Interested in the Rustoleum as well. I'm about to coat a 920 sq foot 4 car garage. I figure I'll need 4 kits, so if it's worth the $260, I'll get by pretty cheap.
Old 03-06-2004, 08:45 PM
DV8
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by EVIL
i saw the u-coat-it website, that stuff looks nice!
I ordered this stuff and loved it. hardest part was the prep, it went on very easily.

Sorry to hear about your experience Roger1, I'm glad I didn't have to deal with that.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

Pacman...for some reason your link won't work???????
Old 03-07-2004, 02:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You WILL get what you pay for. Do not buy the cheapo stuff from the home improvement stores. I used a Sherman Williams industrial grade epoxy paint. It cost me about $350 for the paint to do my 22 x 22 garage. Unlike the home depot stuff, this is one gal paint to one gal epoxy. So far I have dropped hammers on it and dragged a rearend across the floor and it has stayed on- and my floor was about the worst floor you could start with.

With any paint- the prep is KEY. I had so many oil spots and stains that I had to pressure wash, then I scrubbed the floor twice with mineral spirits, and then lacquer thinner (when the mineral spirits and oil dry didn't remove the stains), Acid etched it twice, pressure washed it again, then vacumed it- then started to paint.

By the way- if you have any divets or pinholes in the floor- fill them, I didn't fill all of mine and even though they're painted they trap dirt. The Sherman williams rep said any concrete filler would have to cure for about 1-2 weeks before paint because the PH of the filler would cause it to react with the eopxy if it was not COMPLETELY cured. Since I was pressed for time cause the weather was starting to get too cold to paint- I used body filler for the pinholes that I did fill- It's suprisingly tough and epoxy stuck perfectly.
Old 03-08-2004, 07:51 PM
Launching!

Anyone use the rustoleum product?
Old 03-16-2010, 06:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DV8
I ordered this stuff and loved it. hardest part was the prep, it went on very easily.

Sorry to hear about your experience Roger1, I'm glad I didn't have to deal with that.
Has it worn through on you yet? If not, you must be pretty easy on your floors since the total thickness of your floor is most likely less than 5 mils.
I just recently did a new floor of mine with Wolverine epoxy products and have a final thickness of 27 mils.
Old 03-17-2010, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by roger1
Has it worn through on you yet? If not, you must be pretty easy on your floors since the total thickness of your floor is most likely less than 5 mils.
I just recently did a new floor of mine with Wolverine epoxy products and have a final thickness of 27 mils.
lol sorry but this thread is over 6 years old
Old 03-21-2010, 07:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dry_kill. . . he is asking about durabiity and 6 years, stands to reason would be a good test of durability. He even asked of a member who's still active. . . don't see a need for ridicule on this one. Makes sense.

Hell, he even posted on this thread in 2004! 2 of his 3 post ever on this thread. . . he's been WAITING for this question for that 6 years. His whole existence on this forum is substantiated by his asking this simple question. . . "Is it worth it?"

DEDICATION and PATIENCE. (lurker/stalker )
Old 03-22-2010, 03:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Duffster
Dry_kill. . . he is asking about durabiity and 6 years, stands to reason would be a good test of durability. He even asked of a member who's still active. . . don't see a need for ridicule on this one. Makes sense.

Hell, he even posted on this thread in 2004! 2 of his 3 post ever on this thread. . . he's been WAITING for this question for that 6 years. His whole existence on this forum is substantiated by his asking this simple question. . . "Is it worth it?"

DEDICATION and PATIENCE. (lurker/stalker )
haha, didnt mean any ridicule, didnt know if he realized how old the thread was or not
Old 03-24-2010, 09:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same experience as Roger as far as coverage for the U-Coat-It kit. After almost 7 years now the floor doesn't look good at all now & is peeling on the side that actually gets use. I will be contacting them soon since it's supposed to have a lifetime warranty & I will be use to post up the results. The stuff is not cheap, that's for sure.

Shay

Quick Reply: Good floor coating?