Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Best Mechanics gloves?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2003, 10:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Best Mechanics gloves?

And I'm not referring to the latex jobs. Those are worthless in regards to scratches, blunt impact, etc. I'm looking for a good set of cloth material like gloves. Thanks.
Old 07-11-2003, 11:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: Best Mechanics gloves?

semi off topic

but i cant use those things at all, i cant get a feel for wrenchs, nuts, bolts, anything.

they just make me totally useless when it comes to working on anything
Old 07-11-2003, 12:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

It takes some getting used to ....

Mechanix brand has a lifetime guarantee ... I had 3 pair replaced in the last 18 months ...

I have several pair ... a pair of Quick Fit in each vehicle, an Impact pair I rarely wear, a pair for general work and a pair I use for brake work.

I've also used Ringers, but they just didn't fit as well ...
Old 07-11-2003, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks, Mitchntx!
Old 07-11-2003, 05:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Mechanix and get them about a size too small. This helps me pick up small bolts and have a better feel.
Old 07-11-2003, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I also like Mechanix. Ive only had one pair replaced, after I threw broken concrete around with them for a day.

My beef is that they get soaked with fluids. I actually end up wearing latex gloves under the machanix after a few months, since sometimes they are dirtier on the inside than they are on the outside from all the oil and grease. THe latex gloves come out looking filthy.

I did buy a pair of another brand recently...thye were cheaper and meant more for yard work. I like their "feelability" more since they are thinner material, but Im sure they will wear out faster and I dont think they were guaranteed.

chris
Old 07-11-2003, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with these guys. I bought a pair of Mechanix wear gloves last summer and I've used them while doing suspension work and some engine work and I think they are great. They seem to be a lot thinner than some which gives you better "feel" for stuff. They really save your hands from getting all torn up and greasy. I haven't experienced mine soaking through at all.
Old 07-11-2003, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've used mechanix wear....good gloves.

I actually prefer the version that is sold by Jeg's High Performance with their logo on them. They don't come so far up the wrist and don't seem to slide around (and they dont irritate my wrist). I'm not sure who is making them for Jegs, but they seem to hold up just as well as my mechanix wear did....
Old 07-12-2003, 09:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i liked my Matco ones, they kicked ***, they had the gep pads in the palm part right where the wrench pushes on the bone, great for no greasy work, too bad i lost them somewhere. i'd look into getting a set of craftsman or mechnix gloves when they are on sale, i've seen em for $10 or so at sears. The gloves are good for removing trans and stuff like that that can cut ya easy, plus they help with the fluids, stuff aint as slippery.
Old 07-12-2003, 06:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've got a pair of mechanix wear gloves I wear every day at discount tire. I agree about the soaking bit. Fix-a-flat and dunking tires can leave my gloves soggy for days. Also, I've noticed that mine wear through really fast. I've already worn holes in mine that I've had for less than a month. Anyone know of a "professional" line of gloves?

Quick Reply: Best Mechanics gloves?