Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

new impact, break in etc questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default new impact, break in etc questions

I recently bought an IR impact gun on ebay. Said new, but it came without a box or instructions. I was able to find a simple manual on the ir website, but it didn't say much other than a diagram where to lube it, but even that was pretty vague.

So I'm wondering if I need to do anything special to break it in. I took it somewhat apart to look for grease, and there was grease in it. I also put 10 drops or so of mobil 1 5/30 in the intake for good measure. Is there anything else I should do before I use it? I have 25' of 3/4" od hose I think it is I had bought for a cheap gun, I coupled it permanent right to the new gun, no quick release. Should I cut the hose shorter for any reason? Do I need any kind of break in procedure? If I lube it each use with mobil 1 will that be sufficient lube? Any other suggestions?

here's the gun I bought...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN:IT&ih=009
Old 04-08-2008, 02:36 AM
On The Tree

I have the same gun and love it. No break in, just start killing it. I am unsure of the usage of motor oil in pneumatic tools, I always use pneumatic tool oil or marvel mystery oil.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:38 PM
Teching In

i've always used mac airtool oil, but thats just cause it was free, i dont know about the motor oil in a impact. i think motor oil is a little thicker though.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have a million different types of lube between my stuff and stuff I've inhereted, not sure if I have any MMO though, have to pick some up I guess. The mobil 1 5/30 shouldn't hurt it to run through you guys think?
Old 04-09-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use my airtools and impacts every day and run them hard as I am a heavy machinery mechanic. That gun will last you a long time just keep it oiled. I have always used the marvel mystery air tool oil, im unsure if motor oil.
Old 04-12-2008, 10:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MrElectric03
I use my airtools and impacts every day and run them hard as I am a heavy machinery mechanic. That gun will last you a long time just keep it oiled. I have always used the marvel mystery air tool oil, im unsure if motor oil.
Yup... I don't think you can over-oil the tool. Oil is cheap, tools aren't.
Old 04-30-2008, 12:11 AM
Launching!

I use ATF and never broke in any of my air tools
Old 04-30-2008, 05:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

update

found tool oil at walmart, thought it's not ir brand as mentioned. The thing is pretty cool, works super fast, and moves the lug nuts like butter

Quick Reply: new impact, break in etc questions