Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Anyone needing a valve spring tool?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 12:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so this tool is a good tool and all i will need to install my springs huh? sounds great! i just bought one for 31$ shipped, but used.. sorry i didn't buy it new. .i just seen this thread.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:41 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Pete2k_Z28
<~~~ Former machinist

I was really just commenting on the ingenuity there. It's always the simple, creative solutions that make the most complex jobs easier. Working in machine shops for 9 years gives one an appreation for stuff like that
Actually, it is not the "Larry" tool, but Gto69Judge's tool. Larry copied my design, makes it out of aluminum instead of steel, and sold it for $30 shipped. Now he has increased the price to $40! I think Larry has become greedy! That is way overpriced but he does make it available to people who don't have the time or ability to construct one. The original thread describing how to make my tool yourself is listed below. Be sure to use a longer bolt or prefferably a stud or threaded rod to engage 5-6 threads of the bolt hole before compressing the spring.

Original Thread:http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=66030

If you are going to spend $40 to purchase a tool, you should look at the Crane tool which compresses TWO springs at once and is just as compact.

Last edited by gto69judge; 03-18-2005 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by gto69judge
Actually, it is not the "Larry" tool, but Gto69Judge's tool. Larry copied my design, makes it out of aluminum instead of steel, and sold it for $30 shipped. Now he has increased the price to $40! I think Larry has become greedy! That is way overpriced but he does make it available to people who don't have the time or ability to construct one. The original thread describing how to make my tool yourself is listed below. Be sure to use a longer bolt or prefferably a stud or threaded rod to engage 5-6 threads of the bolt hole before compressing the spring.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=66030

If you are going to spend this much money to purchase a tool, you should look at the Crane tool which compresses TWO springs at once and is just as compact.
I sure hope I didn't copy that tool!

Is that what my tool looks like guys?
Old 03-01-2005, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by Larry
I sure hope I didn't copy that tool!

Larry's tool does not look like that. It is also made out of steel.

Bill
Old 03-01-2005, 02:38 PM
Launching!

Default The "JUDGE" Tool

The tool shown above in the original thread 3 years ago was a prototype photo made out of scrap steel that the administrator hosted for me since I had no way to show it.

Check my dimensions and my description of how to build it out of flat stock. As I mentioned, you made my tool out of aluminum instead of steel. (edit: Larry also uses steel for the tool).

Here is a picture of a homemade Judge's Tool built out of steel, following my instructions. As anyone can see, it is my exact design that Larry copied, right down to the exact same dimensions. This tool can be made for less than $5 in about 1/2 hour and functions exactly the same as Larry's copy that he sells for $40.

http://us.f3.yahoofs.com/users/42337...bJnOCBM.mYu1QB

My intention of posting the the instructions to build my tool was to help forum members work on their cars. It has become apparent that Larry's intentions are to make money.

Larry, dont try to take credit for something that you didn't create.

In some of your older posts you at least admitted that you got the idea from someone else.

Last edited by gto69judge; 03-18-2005 at 02:29 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 02:48 PM
TECH Addict

Check my dimensions and my description of how to build it out of flat stock. As I mentioned, you made my tool out of aluminum instead of steel.

My intention of posting the the instructions to duplicate my tool was to help forum members work on their cars. It has become apparent that your intentions are to make money.
I have never made a single tool out of aluminum.

Not really sure why you are making these comments on this post after all this time. I don't understand your purpose? Maybe your tool broke!

Last edited by Larry; 03-01-2005 at 04:30 PM.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:05 PM
Launching!

I have never made a single tool out of aluminum.
I was mistaken about the material you make the tool from. In your picture it is shiny and looked like aluminum. Since it is constructed out of steel, it is even more identical to my description of how to build the tool.

Not really sure why you are making these these comments on this post after all this time. I don't understand your purpose?
I have not made any comments in the past because I felt you were doing Forum members a service by providing my tool at a reasonable cost to those who didn't have time or couldn't make the tool themself. At your new price of $40 for just a few dollars worth of materials, I felt compelled to inform the Forum members. You would still have my blessing if you just change the price back to your original $30 price which will still give you substantial profit. If you truly have a "delivery" problem as stated as a reason for the price increase, why not get the inexpensive delivery receipt from the postal service.

Last edited by gto69judge; 03-01-2005 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:49 PM
12 Second Club

Just picked up my valve spring tool. I let you know how everything goes next week.

Kyle
Old 03-11-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

I did my springs last night and my tool worked great!

I had the pleasure of meeting Larry yesterday and let me tell you, he is a standup guy. I was just stopping by to pick up another stud & nut for my tool(which he didnt charge me for, BTW..I even offer to pay for it..) and ended up chatting with him for over and hour. He showed me his very cool car, and even offered to let me use his HPTuners for a minute()

Also, Larrys tool is made from veerrry thick steel, which is not so inexpensive, and the stud can be removed with an allen wrench if you take off the nut and the stud is stuck in the head(saved my ***...cuz the stud was real snug a couple times)

I think that is worth $40 shipped. Summit or Jegs, etc would charge you like $7 for shipping so $33 + shipping is excellent for what you get.

And whoever said if your going to spend $40 on this tool, you should go ahead and buy the Crane tool.....the Crane tool is $116ish shipped from Jegs/Summit so I dont see how that argument is relevant. $40 vs $116 is a big difference, and you can used the saved money for something else...or keep it!

Ease up on the guy..this is America. He can charge whatever the damn heel he pleases...you see people buying it dont you. Im sure all those people bought it because they thought it was one of the best options. I bought mine from his because A. I dont have time/tools to make it, B. dont have the time to go around gathering the stuff to make it C. theres no point in wasting time doing that when I can send Larry $40 and have it at my door in a couple days.

No offense to the other guy who says it was his idea, but you've got to understand....Larry has done me and a lot of others a favor. There are a lot fo people who just plain cant make this....its worth $50+ to me. and look at it this way....some guy came up with saaay....the razor...you dont see just one company making razors do you? Nope...theres a bunch to choose from with varying prices. Its a free country and Larry is utilizing his right to come up with a similar design, and provide it for a modest fee.

cheers Larry

BTW remember Im not bashing you, Im just telling it from my perspective..
Old 03-11-2005, 01:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Oh, I just wanted to add this:

Anyone heard of the JPR lifter tool? Well they sell it for $85. I made my own, which is almost identical in design, for about $3. PM me and I'll tell you how to make it...it takes about 15 minutes once you have the stuff.... Cool if you want to save some $$$ or just play it safe...
Old 03-11-2005, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for all the kinds word Chris! Enjoyed visiting with you too.

gto69judge really doesn't know what is involved in the engineering, sales, procurement, manufacture, and packaging/delivery of a product. He doesn't know that I sell approximately only two tools a week and with each I drive down and stand in line to ship the tool. I'm not a business and don't have UPS or Fed Ex pickup. This doesn't include the time involved in emailing you guys, keeping records and filling out shipping paper work. Then I spend the time to email each of you the tracking number.

And no, I don't ship the cheap post office way. Been there done that. Had to replace several in the beginning resulting from loss. Seems as when people feel a heavy object in an envelope they have to see what it looks like. Send it in a box and they won't steal it but an envelope they are going to take a look.

Thanks for the help on my PC too Chris. It works great now! Hope to see you at the track soon.
Old 03-11-2005, 04:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

I used my Larry tool last week and it works great. I did not have one value keeper come off until I was ready to get it off with my magnet. I will need another nut and stud for my next valve spring replacement. I used the tool to install double springs and the stud have a few threads messed up a little.
Thanks Larry.

Bill
Old 03-11-2005, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Want to remind all again to use plenty of lub on the threads when using the tool. Quite a lot of load goes on the threads to compress some of the heavier springs. They will wear quickly if not lubricated.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:46 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks again Larry, just like Stone4779 said, i went and picked it up also from Larry and had a good half an hour talk w/ him. He offered to help me tune my car, and gave me some advice on porting heads. I just got done with the tool last night, worked like a charm everytime and i was only using one had and the other for the pen magnet to catch the locks. This tool is awesome. I would recommend it to anybody and its well worth the money.

Thanks again Larry

Kyle

*Edit: i was installing the PRC duals and the tool had no prob with them at all.*
Old 03-12-2005, 04:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I installed the Patriot "Gold" Duals springs, and I didnt drop a single lock(I was taking my time, though) And when installing the new ones.. the trick is to center the spring around the valve stem WHILE tightening the spring tool...If not your pretty much just hoping it centers itself...

My threads are fine, but I lubed everything...poured a little oil in the hole before inserting the stud, and lubed the stud with every use....no problems

I have to say again, Larry...your cool as ****...and before I move(around the 22nd)I need to stop by and visit again...

BTW the cam is G-R-E-A-T. Fired up the first turn of the key, and took about 2 minutes for the oil to circulate through everything....I soaked the pushrods/rockers in oil for a couple days before the install...so it was nice and lubed when I first cranked it and the oil pressure shot right up. I havent taken it past 4200 or so rpms yet, Im letting the springs cool overnight and I'll probably cycle them again tomorrow before going all out. I know Im going to need to raise the rev limiter to fully utilize the cam, but I want to dyno it first to see exactly where Im going to set it...

When I first cranked it up I was just saying to myself over and over "F'n A", "Hell yeah", etc.

Came out just like I wanted...not too much, not too little...now for the spray!!!

BTW I've been looking for a 2000 PCM but no good deals...hopefully I can find one in the next 7 days[crosses fingers]...if not I'll just have to take it to MTI and let them play with it...Im driving it down south so I have to get it done before I move...

I'll give you a call sometime in the next couple of days and I might take it to the track with your group if I get some other kinks worked out(bleed clutch, change oil & fuel filter, etc) and its nice and broken in...I dont know my work schedule so I need to work around that...

And your very welcome on the PC work....I'll play with it some more the next time Im out there....theres probably still more to be had there...I havent thought of anything yet, but I have been pondering a few things...

And dont forget to send me that vid

-Chris

PS- Larry: I'll trade you my LS1 intake for your LS6 intake
Old 03-12-2005, 01:33 PM
Launching!

Default Larry Must Be Joking!

gto69judge really doesn't know what is involved in the engineering, sales, procurement, manufacture, and packaging/delivery of a product.
Boy are you wrong there. Not knowing what is involved in the engineering? Did you conveniently forget that I designed it? I have owned my own business for over 30 years and ran THREE businesses simultaneously for more than 10 years. I have more experience in the rest of those areas than you could comprehend.

He doesn't know that I sell approximately only two tools a week and with each I drive down and stand in line to ship the tool. I'm not a business and don't have UPS or Fed Ex pickup. And no, I don't ship the cheap post office way. Been there done that. Had to replace several in the beginning resulting from loss. Seems as when people feel a heavy object in an envelope they have to see what it looks like. Send it in a box and they won't steal it but an envelope they are going to take a look.
Let me inform you that the U.S. Postal service offers priority mail for $3.85 with 2-3 day delivery and they even supply you with shipping boxes at no additional fee. If you want delivery confirmation, that is FREE if you print the labels online! Saturday delivery at no extra charge. Go to www.usps.com. No waiting in lines, free shipping box, and 3 day delivery. WHO doesn't know whats involved in packaging and delivery?

Not only did I design the tool you are selling, but now I have pointed out a way to save you time as well as shipping costs.

Do you think that now you can sell the tool at a more reasonable price like the $30 you used to charge?

Last edited by gto69judge; 03-18-2005 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-13-2005, 03:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

i used the larry tool for my spring swap and i'd have to say it worked flawless. no matter the price i still bought it for less than anyother company charges and since i dont have the time and equipment to fabricate such an tool it was deffinately worth it. although i did find some flaws in the design so since GTO69judge wants to take credit for the design well, it's kinda flawed and let me tell you why. now not sure if anyone had this problem but when i would tighten the nut down the nut eventually started to create little metal shavings now this should be with all nuts since afterall it is metal rubbing on metal. my suggestion would be some sort of ball bearing that the nut could sit on and could easily rotate freely without causing exsessive friction and creating the little shavings that could possibly ruin your motor. but of course the price would go up.
Old 03-13-2005, 09:14 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rons 00z
i used the larry tool for my spring swap and i'd have to say it worked flawless. no matter the price i still bought it for less than anyother company charges and since i dont have the time and equipment to fabricate such an tool it was deffinately worth it. although i did find some flaws in the design so since GTO69judge wants to take credit for the design well, it's kinda flawed and let me tell you why. now not sure if anyone had this problem but when i would tighten the nut down the nut eventually started to create little metal shavings now this should be with all nuts since afterall it is metal rubbing on metal. my suggestion would be some sort of ball bearing that the nut could sit on and could easily rotate freely without causing exsessive friction and creating the little shavings that could possibly ruin your motor. but of course the price would go up.
Did you lub the surface under the nut. I didn't have this problem when I did mine. Might try a washer too...
Old 03-13-2005, 12:15 PM
Launching!

Default Use A Couple Of Washers Under The Nut When Tightening

Originally Posted by rons 00z
i used the larry tool for my spring swap and i'd have to say it worked flawless although i did find some flaws in the design so since GTO69judge wants to take credit for the design well, it's kinda flawed and let me tell you why. now not sure if anyone had this problem but when i would tighten the nut down the nut eventually started to create little metal shavings now this should be with all nuts since afterall it is metal rubbing on metal
Actually, in the 4th paragraph of my directions, I said to use a couple of washers. Apparently Larry left out this important information. You are correct about wanting to keep metal shavings out of your engine. Thanks for bringing attention to the need for washers.

John

Last edited by gto69judge; 03-13-2005 at 12:23 PM.
Old 03-13-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Actually, in the 4th paragraph of my directions, I said to use a couple of washers. Apparently Larry left out this important information. You are correct about wanting to keep metal shavings out of your engine. Thanks for bringing attention to the need for washers.

John
Yeah i totally forgot about that part too...

I lubed it up and put a washer on there....fixed it.

Quick Reply: Anyone needing a valve spring tool?