Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Ways to improve air compressor/system?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2008, 08:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ways to improve air compressor/system?

I have a 3.2HP Campbell Hausfeld 60gal compressor. I usually just use it to air up tires and occasionally use a sandblaster,impact, die grinder, or a cutoff wheel. Those last few tools seem to be air hogs, so I was wondering what I could do to make it easier on my compressor. I have a large natural gas tank(empty) in the back yard, could I add that into the system for extra capacity? Would that help any? Are there any other improvements/upgrades I could do to help make it easier to work with air-hungry tools? I know I should have gotten a bigger/better compressor, but that's all I could afford at the time and I also bought the 3 year warranty.
Another question...Is the compressor supposed to get really hot during use? I don't remember it doing that when I first bought it, but now everytime I turn it on, the tank gets really really hot. I wasn't sure if that's normal or not. I'd appreciate any help/advice you guys could give me. Thanks.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

It is totally normal for a compressor to get hot. Heat is a by product of air compression (along with water). That's why there's fans and radiators on air compressors. I hung a $10 box fan over the top of my compressor, when I'm working it hard I'll turn on the fan to get air really moving around it. I figure it helps...

As for adding air capacity to your system, there's pluses and minuses to it. The minus is that it'll take longer for your compressor head to get to cut-off pressure, so your compressor will work harder - generating more heat and more water. You'll get a longer initial run time with more capacity, but once your compressor kicks on, it will take a lot longer to catch up and turn off.

So really, aside from adding an additional fan to help cool the compressor head, I don't know if I'd add a second tank... you have any water / spitting problems? Plenty of line between the compressor and a watertrap? I have a lot of copper tube in my air system, and my air comes out VERY dry. Works great.
Old 08-03-2008, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Right now I'm running a short rubber line, but when I run the "air hogs", I run a 25ft 1/2" line with a filter/oiler/regulator between it and the short rubber line. I think I'll try the cooling fan, I bet that'll work good. I drain the tank twice daily, but sometime I still get water coming out. Is there any benefit to running better air filters? Mine are falling apart.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

I had a CH like 13 gallon compressor ?2hp? a few years ago. a cutoff wheel would suck it dry quick and one day after filling itself up enough times while sitting in the sun it actually started smoking ha ha. it never missed a beat but i knew i needed something better so i sold it.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:24 PM
6 & 8 Second Club

Best tip anyone can give you is do the damn maintenance. Drain the water often. Check oil, keep the unit clean & dry.
I'm a huge fan of adding extra tank. I've been looking for the 1st empty tank I come across myself.
I know several guys that added extra volume. They all love it. Especially blast cabinets & DA's.
The run time per air used is still the same total run time. Yes it runs longer when it kicks on,
but it also has more off time to cool down between filling. The filters are great options,
but the real kind that work best, are frigging expense!!

Old 08-04-2008, 10:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can find dead compressors lying out on trash day
that make dandy point-of-use tanks with a fitting swap
or two. Also can be converted pretty easily to pressure
feed sand blast hopper tanks following the pictures
from the Eastwood catalog.

I have used garden hose for sandblasting air feed,
no restriction there at 50-75' of run. Hose to pipe
to quick-connect, or just put the hose fitting and a
ball valve right onto the tank and quick-connect
just on the far end. Quick-connects are real bad
restrictors, if the tool is a real air hog then going
up to the larger quick connects might help some.
Or give everything a garden hose connector

When I was jacking up the house and running my
Husky pretty much continuous I put a 115V muffin
fan running full time, up against the air intake grille.

Quick Reply: Ways to improve air compressor/system?