Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Help on a starter welder

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 03:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by crashinaz
I've been through a lot of MIG machines. The best "all around welders" are the small 220V 180amp machines... Once you start welding, you'll likely outgrow a 110v or cheap HF machine quickly. The smaller 220v name brand machines will grow with you.
ive been welding for over ten years (stick, mig, tig, fluxcore, stainless, mild, aluminum, galvanize..everything) all welding machines have there purpose. for your uses... this quote is perfect. have fun, wear pants!! and dont go cheap on your hood.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:57 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JRHunt
ive been welding for over ten years (stick, mig, tig, fluxcore, stainless, mild, aluminum, galvanize..everything) all welding machines have there purpose. for your uses... this quote is perfect. have fun, wear pants!! and dont go cheap on your hood.
so true.. never go cheap on gear..
Old 09-02-2008, 09:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

And I lol'd at "wear pants". The flash burns have faded at this point... but... yeah. Pants. Definitely pants.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:50 AM
Teching In

Great deal on a warrantied, reconditioned Hobart.

http://www.toolking.com/hobartwelders_500500r.aspx

I got this package and the thing doesn't look reconditioned at all, works like a charm. Reconditioned looks like "Box was dented, return it!". Welder didn't have a scratch on it, even the plug looked like it had never been plugged in (no scratches on the copper)
Old 09-03-2008, 09:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

I've bought reconditioned tools at ToolKing as well. Good stuff. I bought a 6 piece DeWalt set from them (XRP Hammerdrill, Sawzall, light, grinder, circular saw, small impact driver, 2 batteries) for like $429 shipped. Good deal, and it was all flawless. I use the crap out of that setup.
Old 09-03-2008, 06:00 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Camaroholic
Harbor Freight welders are a box full of regret. I'd buy used, to be honest (which is what I did). I have no doubt you can find a decent used MIG welder for $300 locally. 3 brands. Miller, Hobart, Lincoln. Buy a used one, and:

1) If you outgrow it, you can likely sell it for close to what you bought it for.
2) If you need a part, you can get them at just about any welding shop (try that with a HF welder). Welders are full of wear items, from drive rolls to tips, and just about every part in between.

Look for a welder that will do MIG as well as flux core (don't get one that is flux core only). MIG gas is worth the expense.

I've seen small Lincolns in the $300 range used on Craigslist. I'd get one of those over a new HF welder any day. I've even seen a couple small Millers in that range, but not as often.
thanks.. what specs should i look for? i believe someone just mentions 180amps and 220volts?
Old 09-03-2008, 06:34 PM
Launching!

I've personally owned the following welder before and recommend it up and down...

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/...c_180_autoset/

I've also used these (or the actual 180 model before them) and both are good machines... The welders above and below are the ballpark of welders I'd suggest for you and you won't go wrong with any of them.

http://www.hobartwelders.com/product...ed/handler187/

http://www.mylincolnelectric.com/Cat...t.aspx?p=42422

Purchasing a welder (ESPECIALLY if you use it a lot) from your local welding shop can prove benificial... Most will work to match or get you close on price to internet deals. I've bought all of my welders and plasma through the same place and I've never paid full price for gas, tips, liners, etc since then... Not to mention if something happens to your machine, they'll likely really step up to the plate when you bought it from them. Find the best deal online and walk into your welding supply with $ in your pocket.

Last edited by crashinaz; 09-03-2008 at 06:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Help on a starter welder