Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Converting Unibody 4th gen to Solid Frame?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by chaser2racing
instead of air tanks just use it as a place to get the exhaust though with no room issues nice thread though if u ever finish it the car will be a jaw droper
with a mind like his it will never be done, it will always be in some stage of teardown or build. And thats not my idea of fun at all.....
Old 02-16-2010, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave 96TA
Or better yet, just buy a C5 and drill holes in it so it stinks like exhaust and rattles then randomly disconnect wires so things mysteriously stop working? Saves a lot of custom fabrication.
and just burn some money in a 50 gal drum too.

i think a cage/sfc's would be much more difficult than this.
Old 02-23-2010, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jason,

Not 100% sure where you are with your project(s), but I thought Ide post this link. I went through this thread and didnt see it, not sure if you've seen it or not.

http://www.radrides.com/proj.htm

Click on the 87 Camaro link. 281 pictures on how to make an F-body a solid frame car. A 4th gen's chassis is plenty close enough to a thirdgen, so some of the pictures might provide you with some ideas.

Just a thought...

J.
Old 03-27-2011, 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mercman, I don't really want a body on frame vehicle, I want to stiffen up the stock structure. Kind of like building a solid frame inside the unibody. Basically like a C4, 5 and 6 Corvette which is still being built today.

I don't know anything about Mercedes, except that they are expensive. I don't if those Merc rear ends you mentioned are going to be the right width? I know the T-bird unit is.

Can I buy a brand new all aluminum diff with 3.73 gears and an easily rebuildable limited slip unit for $600? Yes, with the cobra 8.8.

Besides, I already have a spare Tbird car to get parts off of.

From what I have seen so far, the Merc W124 diffs are steel, the spindles are steel, the gear ratios are tall, freeway units and they don't usually have limited slips, mch less a limited slip that is cheap and easy to rebuild. So I don't see any real advantages of a Merc rear end.

A mid engine just isn't in the cards right now.

David, the front and rear mounting ears on the T-bird rear subframe could probably be cut off and the rest of the structure welded into the car. Or, I could just use the main parts, like the diff, axles and spindles and built the rest from tubing.

This thread is so old I don't remember half the stuff in it. I'm finalizing my new front suspension and am focused on the front frame structure only for right now. Maybe everyone can go there and take a look.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/suspensio...l#post14696758

Also, I'm not trying to make a profit here, this is just a hobby. It's like any other hobby, you throw money away, but it makes you feel good. That's what counts.

Last edited by JasonWW; 03-27-2011 at 12:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Converting Unibody 4th gen to Solid Frame?